Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adventures Timeline

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> DL Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Just keeping the timeline info around with a poll.
Hooray!
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Hooray!
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Hooray!
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Hooray!
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Whoopee!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Whoopee!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Whoopee!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Whoopee!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

Salsa
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Adventures Timeline Reply with quote

All right, some published adventures (if not all and that includes sourcebook material) follow a timeline in the Deadlands history (1876-1878) so my question is when do those adventures take place. Because it seems that some of them it is assumed that the Marshall knows when they are happening. Well I bought recently most of the material and I'm kinda lost. I'm trying to set the adventures in the correct chronology. Can anyone answer that to me. I can sumarize here the adventures I wish to know when they happen, some examples are:

I presume the adventures where bounty points are awarded instead of chips happen in 76.

Abracadabra and Dark Canyon seem to be out of time (like the dime novels) but before Canyon O' Doom.

Devil's Tower in end of 76 don't know if it would put the third part before december.

Ghost Busters (I realized it takes from a story inside the CCG but don't know in which year I'm guessing 77 but don't know exactly around what month)

Bloody Ol' Muddy (my guess is 78 after the adventure in River o' Blood)

Dead Presidents (probably the end of 78 )

Anyway, what I need most is which adventures I can put in 76, and specially when does Ghost Busters take place. Any additional information would be of great help. Maybe some of the designers could answer this.

Thanks for the attention.
Dane
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Deadlands: Ultimate Adventures Timeline Post??? (LONG) Reply with quote

Hi all!

Over the past years that I’ve been on the listserve, the DRC, and the forum boards here, the issue of a timeline has come up time and time again.

The first time this question came up, that I was able to find, was back in May, 2000. I remember because I've asked that question on the old ListServe myself (December 13, 2002). BTW, as an open request: I'd give anything to find Listserve archives older than January, 2000 (I first joined in July, 1999). If you have any leads to that, please pm me!

I have researched as much as I can to try to build the ultimate list of what other responses exist. Do you all have anything you’d like to add?

Please Remember

#1icon_wall I searched for mainly the term “timeline,” so I may have missed threads that did not include this in their titles. Additionally, I chose threads that dealt with the general issue of timelines versus specific battles or events.

#1dead Some titles may have language that might be considered offensive to some. Read at your own risk.

Eh I tried to include responses that added something new to the thread.

Exclamation The responses to the various threads have been edited for length, but not for content. Therefore, many selections may have been repeated over the years.

Surprised There have been several requests for "could we get an official ruling on this timeline..." That I am aware of, the only official timelines are located in published materials or on online fan sites. Although always happy to help, staff and writers for Pinnacle have not responded with an "official" timeline per a request (at least, that I am aware of).

Laughing Maybe when I get the gumption, I can distill the list. Until then, here you go!

Allan Seyberth – (Listserve, March 12, 2000)
Let me point you to http://www.geocities.com/grifflik/ Matt's site - on it you will find a timeline compiled from all of the Deadlands and HoE books out there. Top notch work done on this timeline, btw.

Pat Phalen – (Listserve, October 12, 2001)
Why does it matter?
You are the Marshal. It is *your* world, so things can take place whenever you darn well please. Besides, if you have players who know "too much" sticking to *your* timeline will really screw them up.

Markus Finster – (Listserve, November 19, 2001)
Ghost Busters takes places after Knicknevins rampage. I don't have Doomtown or Bust, but as far as I know, that takes place in the beginning of 1877.
This continues with Rain of Terror, which is, IIRC, set in the early summer of 1877.
Third part of the "unofficial Gomorra-Trilogy" is Dead Presidents - set in Summer 1878. But the first chapter takes place after Knicknevins rampage (though I figured after Ghost Busters) again.
So, does that mean, that it should be played Ghost Busters - First Chapter of Dead Presidents - Rain of Terror - Rest of Dead Presidents (filled in with various other adventures, of course - like Canyon of Doom)?
Or did I get something completely wrong?

Mr. Christopher McGlothlin, M.Ed. – (Listserve, November 19, 2001)
My very first draft of DP had the story set in the Fall of 1877, but one of the revisions I received from John Goff before he left PEG was to change the date to the Summer of 1878. There was no explanation given at the time, but perhaps if he's still lurking around this list, John could shed some light on this.

Matt Maybray– (Listserve, April 19, 2002)
If I remember correctly, the events leading up to Ghostbusters take place throughout '77, Ghost Busters takes place either late '77 or early '78, Rain o' Terror takes place in the Spring of '78, and Dead Presidents takes place late summer of '78.

Matthew M. DeForrest – (Listserve, April 19, 2002)
"Then what adventure is it that the players get to kick Knicknevins ass?"

No adventure of these events has been published (although a readthrough of Ghost Busters and Doomtown or Bust would let you create one) -- it was part of the Doomtown CCG story cycle. Ghost Busters takes place immediately following these events.

Eric Avedissian – (Listserve, May 7, 2002)
The timeline advances from 1876 (the year the Deadlands storyline debuted) through to 1877 starting with "Tales o' Terror 1877". It wings through 1877 in "Doomtown or Bust!" following Knicknevin's rampage in Gomorra (early 1878). "Ghost Busters" advances it to late spring on 1878. "Dead Presidents" advances it to late summer of 1878. "Lone Stars: The Texas Rangers" touches on some things in the "Dead Presidents" storyline.
The forthcoming stroyline (The Cackler) will most likely advance Deadlands: The Weird West to early 1879. "The Unity" hinted at 1879 as a Deadlands timeframe.

Eric Avedissian – (Listserve, May 8, 2002)
Rain o'Terror was after Ghost Busters. The California referendum took place sometime in the late spring of 1878. (RoT pg. 7)

JohnnyBee – (GW/Pinnacle Forum, March 23, 2006)

http://web.archive.org/web/20021223094757/mscof.home.texas.net/timeline/timetable.htm

[Editor's Note: This is the last known link for the ancient and most honored Timeline of Doom -- first seen on the Listserve on May 24, 2000. It may be older than this, but I thought this was of interest. Anyway, of all the responses I have seen, this has been the most quoted offer for timeline help to DL players and marshals. Special thanks to JohnnyBee for finding this.]

Whew!

I hope this gives at least a nice sampling of what Deadlands players have been using for several years now. Enjoy!

Game on,

Dane #freak
Salsa
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dane I don't even know what to say! Dude you're THE man! Thanks a lot, I really appreciate your help. And a lot of things are clearer now!

Once again thank you very much and as you said, if anyone has anything else to add will be most helpful. I'll try to make a PDF file with this information so it won't be lost into oblivion.
Dane
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heya!

You're Welcome. And, thanks! Smile

Game on,

Dane
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> DL Archives All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: