Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

***Rules Questions for SW Settings***
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35, 36  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pure Evil Model: D
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Rippers Questions:

In regards to Reason:

It says in the description of Reason that as long as you have no Rippertech, your reason cannot fall below 0. Am I right is assuming that the "Over Sensitive" Hindrance is an exception to that?

Would taking the "Down to Earth" Edge be a sound way of increasing my Reason durring play, or would a character still have to spend the month in treatment to increase reason?

In Regard to Rippertech Extract, Aetheral Form:

When drinking this potion, does this make the just the characters body invisible, like the invisible man, or does it cloak the character and all their gear, like a vampires reflection?

Since it's side affect is permanent invisibility, would it be suitible for use with the "Ripping Psychosis" Hindrance, essentially having an "Invisible Man" Ripper?

As a permanent effect, would it be fair to have only the characters body invisible, essentially leaving them unarmed and unarmored if they want to be invisible, and imposing -6 penalties on people interacting with the character, as if they were blind. For instance, Healing. If the doctor can't see the patient, it will make them difficult to treat. I also think permanent invisiblity would be grounds for -2 Charisma; you can't see them, you don't know if they are sneaking about when your alone, and you can't read their facial expressions. Is that all too harsh?

Printfection Store! Tons of new designs and styles
CafePress Store!
Piotr Korys
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot find it, but I know that it was asked. What does the Holy Water in Rippers? How does it work?
thegreatzamboni
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Mine Detector in ToD Reply with quote

p27 - "The soldier using the set is at -4 to all Notice checks to detect ambushes. Mine detectors provide a +4 to the Notice roll to detect mines or metallic booby traps."

p64 - "+2 Mine detector vs. mines"

Which one is it?
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piotr Ramel Korys wrote:
I cannot find it, but I know that it was asked. What does the Holy Water in Rippers? How does it work?

Answered privately (for the record).

Wiggy
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pure Evil Model: D wrote:
Some Rippers Questions:

In regards to Reason:

It says in the description of Reason that as long as you have no Rippertech, your reason cannot fall below 0. Am I right is assuming that the "Over Sensitive" Hindrance is an exception to that?

Correct. Although this technically means the hero can develop Ripping Psychosis without Rippertech (because he can get a total of -3 on the Fear Table), it just means his mind snaps and he goes of the deep end.

Quote:

Would taking the "Down to Earth" Edge be a sound way of increasing my Reason durring play, or would a character still have to spend the month in treatment to increase reason?

Strictly speaking it's a Background Edge, so it's only officially available in character generation. However, it's your game, and if you want to allow it after character generation, then that's up to your GM.

Quote:

In Regard to Rippertech Extract, Aetheral Form:

When drinking this potion, does this make the just the characters body invisible, like the invisible man, or does it cloak the character and all their gear, like a vampires reflection?

It was designed so the character and his gear became invisible, just like the invisibility power.

Quote:

Since it's side affect is permanent invisibility, would it be suitible for use with the "Ripping Psychosis" Hindrance, essentially having an "Invisible Man" Ripper?

I don't see why not, especially given your ntoes below.

Quote:

As a permanent effect, would it be fair to have only the characters body invisible, essentially leaving them unarmed and unarmored if they want to be invisible, and imposing -6 penalties on people interacting with the character, as if they were blind. For instance, Healing. If the doctor can't see the patient, it will make them difficult to treat. I also think permanent invisiblity would be grounds for -2 Charisma; you can't see them, you don't know if they are sneaking about when your alone, and you can't read their facial expressions. Is that all too harsh?

I think this is all reasonable, given it's a Major Hindrance. The character gains a lot from it as well, of course.

Wiggy
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Mine Detector in ToD Reply with quote

thegreatzamboni wrote:
p27 - "The soldier using the set is at -4 to all Notice checks to detect ambushes. Mine detectors provide a +4 to the Notice roll to detect mines or metallic booby traps."

p64 - "+2 Mine detector vs. mines"

Which one is it?

+2. Apologies for the error.

Wiggy
HommeTruite
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: NE: Is Falling a Heavy Weapon? Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
Fishsquatch wrote:
I'm sure this has been asked before, but a search was not revealing.

Is "Falling" a Heavy Weapon? Would a super tough/armored dude ignore a HANO (High Altitude, No Opening) jump? Smile

I would say Falling Damage counts as a Heavy Weapon. In a way, the character is effectively being hit with a planet.

How would you simulate superbeings that are able to ignore such falls, like Colossus (from the X-Men) or the Hulk? I don't think Colossus has 50+ Toughness.

Would adding a Fall-Proof modifier to Armor or Toughness do the trick?

-HT
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: NE: Is Falling a Heavy Weapon? Reply with quote

HommeTruite wrote:
Clint wrote:
Fishsquatch wrote:
I'm sure this has been asked before, but a search was not revealing.

Is "Falling" a Heavy Weapon? Would a super tough/armored dude ignore a HANO (High Altitude, No Opening) jump? Smile

I would say Falling Damage counts as a Heavy Weapon. In a way, the character is effectively being hit with a planet.

How would you simulate superbeings that are able to ignore such falls, like Colossus (from the X-Men) or the Hulk? I don't think Colossus has 50+ Toughness.

Would adding a Fall-Proof modifier to Armor or Toughness do the trick?

Something like that. I'd allow the Fall-Proof modifier from Altered Form on Armor if the character had the Heavy Armor modifier as well, and I might allow it on Toughness if the character also had Hardy.

www.peginc.com
Dane
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Stupid, stupid, stupid question... :) [possible spoilers] Reply with quote

Hi!

This is for NE. My apologies if this has been asked before. I sincerely cannot parse through 34 pages of posts tonight. Smile

I was running a game last week when I made a horrifying discovery:

V'sori blaster weapons are not Heavy Weapons! Oh crud, as I have been running them as Heavy Weapons, thus cutting my duraweave-wearing villains to shreds against the rules! Arrgh! Laughing

Here's what I am looking at:
• Drone Heavy Blaster: Range 15/30/60, Damage 3d6, shots 20, AP 4, Double Tap, Blaster overcharge rules. (NE p. 135)

• Hyperdrone Blaster Cannon: Range 50/100/200, Damage 3d8, ROF 3, AP 4, shots 180, Blaster overcharge rules. (NE p. 136)

• Warshpere Heavy Blaster: Range 15/30/60, Damage 3d6, ROF 3, shots 20, AP 4, Double Tap, Blaster overcharge rules. (p. 136)

Ktharen Blaster Rifle (Range 30/60/120, Damage 3d6, ROF 3, shots 45, AP 4, Three round burst). (p. 137)

...and on and on... This can't be right, can it? <whimper>

I mean, these guys have taken over the galaxy with laser weapons that don't do HD? I, myself, am running them as such, as it would otherwise leave a majority of the V'sori's war machine unable to affect a hero with a simple Duraweave suit. At least a Z-belt makes sense, as its effects wear off over prolonged use.

Therefore, is this a proper change of the system rules? Or, rather, is the Duraweave suit supposed to have some sort of "Z-belt limitation" that has been removed from the text?

Thank in advance!

Game on,

Dane #freak
DerFinsterling
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page 20 of Necessary Evil:
"Blaster Weapons may expend three times the normal
ammo to overcharge their shots, making them count as
Heavy Weapons."

So you're safe, brother Wink
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid question... :) [possible spoiler Reply with quote

Dane wrote:
...Blaster overcharge rules.

Those would be the three key words there. Wink

Don't worry about it. At worst, they had 3x the ammo they normally would, and I'd bet the number of times that would have come up in the game is small.

Dane wrote:
I mean, these guys have taken over the galaxy with laser weapons that don't do HD?

This may have just been a throw-away comment, but to be accurate, blasters aren't lasers. They count as kinetic, non-piercing damage.

www.peginc.com
Dane
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: What about that there armor? Reply with quote

DerFinsterling wrote:
Page 20 of Necessary Evil: "Blaster Weapons may expend three times the normal ammo to overcharge their shots, making them count as Heavy Weapons."
So you're safe, brother Wink

#1x12 Eureka!!! That’s it! Thanks DerFinsterling!

<sigh> I sincerely look forward to learning how to read AND think at roughly same time.

Clint wrote:
Dane wrote:

Those would be the three key words there. Wink

Don't worry about it. At worst, they had 3x the ammo they normally would, and I'd bet the number of times that would have come up in the game is small.

Thanks Clint!

Will... WACK ...remember... WACK ...blaster... WACK ...overcharge... WACK WACK ... rules...WACK

I have this pounded this into my cerebellum! I wish I had absorbed this three months ago. Actually, I discussed this with my players as I had the horrible realization that I was cutting them to shreds unfairly. They were very understanding, and we agreed that the interpretation I had made was good. However, I’ll be going to the correct rules....WACK...instead.

Clint wrote:
Dane wrote:
I mean, these guys have taken over the galaxy with laser weapons that don't do HD?

This may have just been a throw-away comment, but to be accurate, blasters aren't lasers. They count as kinetic, non-piercing damage.

#1eek Really!?! I automatically went to Star Wars country and thought “blasters is blasters.”

So, may I ask for more specificity: what would this sort of damage look like? Obviously, a gaping burning hole isn’t correct. From the description, it sounds like it acts like a shotgun without the spread issues. I am visualizing a ball of energy that strikes to cause internal damage, is that right? Sorry, my Sci Fi and Supers experience is limited.

Parenthetically, what about that there armor? I mean, Z-belts have limited durations, and flak jackets fall apart. What about duraweave or the other modern armors? I cannot imagine duraweave (a heavy armor) taking huge amounts of heavy damage over a long period of time and staying intact. Did anyone have rules for this in their homebrews?

Thanks again!

Game on,

Dane #freak
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: What about that there armor? Reply with quote

I apologize for the delay in this, Dane. I wrote a reply, and I think instead of hitting Submit, I hit Preview and then closed the program. Anyway, I'll try again.

Dane wrote:
Clint wrote:
Dane wrote:

#1eek Really!?! I automatically went to Star Wars country and thought “blasters is blasters.”

So, may I ask for more specificity: what would this sort of damage look like? Obviously, a gaping burning hole isn’t correct. From the description, it sounds like it acts like a shotgun without the spread issues. I am visualizing a ball of energy that strikes to cause internal damage, is that right? Sorry, my Sci Fi and Supers experience is limited.

Not to get into a bunch of bolognium, but (in NE at least) particle beam weapons fire a relatively low intensity energy beam that carries a bunch of particles (matter). The beam itself isn't powerful enough to cause much effect, but getting hit by the matter does.

The beam keeps the particles coherent until it strikes an object, then they just disipate. On the atomic level, there might be noticeable residue, but it's not something that could be seen with the naked eye (barring superpowers Wink).

In effect, it's like being punched, but really, really, really hard. Thus, kinetic and non-piercing.

Dane wrote:
Parenthetically, what about that there armor? I mean, Z-belts have limited durations, and flak jackets fall apart. What about duraweave or the other modern armors? I cannot imagine duraweave (a heavy armor) taking huge amounts of heavy damage over a long period of time and staying intact. Did anyone have rules for this in their homebrews?

It's an object. Like any object, if it takes damage equal to its Toughness, it's damaged. Heavy Armor is pretty tough (obviously), so I'd figure its own Toughness as 15 + Armor value. So Duraweave would have a Toughness for resisting damage to itself of 16.

You could adjust that number depending on how prevalent you might want Duraweave to be.

Hope this helps!

www.peginc.com
Renan
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In NE,

Can the Construct power be bought as a Device? Like a Belt that turn the character's body into a Construct body? If it must be also activated, would the Construct power costs only 3 PP? If it isn't possible by the offical rules, would this cost be too cheap if I house rule that?

Thanks
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renan wrote:
In NE,

Can the Construct power be bought as a Device? Like a Belt that turn the character's body into a Construct body? If it must be also activated, would the Construct power costs only 3 PP? If it isn't possible by the offical rules, would this cost be too cheap if I house rule that?

If the player has a reasonable explanation for how they have a Device that turns them into a Construct, then the system allows for that to be built.

If they take Slow Activation though, it has to be a disadvantage. The test specifically says, it can't be applied if the power just takes a while to start, but then is kept up indefinitely.

For this kind of thing, I might say it takes 5+1d6 rounds to activate, and the power then stays up for the same amount of time before it must be reactivated.

www.peginc.com
HommeTruite
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An NE question:

A friend and I were comparing my second-hand copy of NE to the PDF version he bought recently, and we noticed some glaring differences. For example, the Toughness power costs 2/level and allows the Heavy Armor modifier in the PDF, whereas my book lists the cost as 3/6/9 and allows the Hardy modifier.

Did I get conned into buying an older version of the book? If yes, where can I find a list of the differences between the older printing and the pdf?

-HT
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HommeTruite wrote:
An NE question:

A friend and I were comparing my second-hand copy of NE to the PDF version he bought recently, and we noticed some glaring differences. For example, the Toughness power costs 2/level and allows the Heavy Armor modifier in the PDF, whereas my book lists the cost as 3/6/9 and allows the Hardy modifier.

Did I get conned into buying an older version of the book? If yes, where can I find a list of the differences between the older printing and the pdf?

Nope. Your friend has an older version of the PDF. He needs to check with whomever he bought it from and get the update. I know Pinnacle sent out emails to everyone who bought it from them, but a few people lost them through spam filters.

www.peginc.com
Ola J.
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two 50 fathoms-questions:

The Booty table: Kings Ransom is listed as 1d10 * 500$, wich is exactly the same as next level down. Should this be 1d10 * 5000$ instead - that sounds more like a Kings Ransom to me, anyway.

Also, I can't find the price for chainshots and the other "special" cannonballs.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ola J. wrote:
Two 50 fathoms-questions:

The Booty table: Kings Ransom is listed as 1d10 * 500$, wich is exactly the same as next level down. Should this be 1d10 * 5000$ instead - that sounds more like a Kings Ransom to me, anyway.

Nope, it's the same amount of money. The difference in the chance of a Relic being in the treasure.

Ola J. wrote:
Also, I can't find the price for chainshots and the other "special" cannonballs.

Um, it's on page 25, right under the price for the cannonball. Really, they are the same price.

www.peginc.com
HommeTruite
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An NE question for y'all. I couldn't find this in the Settings FAQ pdf, so I'm sorry if it's been asked before:

How do you compute the cost of the Super Edge power when it's supplied by a Device?

Do you:

a) Consider each acquired Super Edge to be its own power costing 1 point, (2 -1 for the Device)?

OR

b) Consider Super Edge to be a single "block" power that grants you a number of Edges, and apply the Device modifier to that block of points?

Thanks,

-HT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 34 of 36

Jump to: