Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using the Necessary evil rules for High Sci fi / Fantasy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RookStrife
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Using the Necessary evil rules for High Sci fi / Fantasy Reply with quote

I know I could use the normal rules for this and it would work fine but I think it was Clint in another thread who suggested using the Necessary evil rules for running Star Wars. This got me thinking why not use the rules for a High fantasy / Sci-Fantasy setting.

Basically just like in Necessary each character would get the Super powers edge for free at character creation with Races limiting what powers a character can take.
A Mage for instance could either go the super sorcery route or just purchase a few powers with magic trappings. Basically your archmage vs simply dabbler. Fighters and other martial classes would use there points to improve stats (limit d12 for humans for abilities and d12+4 for skills), armor, weapons and other powers with mundane trappings.

Thoughts?
Control
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no reason why it wouldn't work if you use the trappings effect to customize. But I'd recommend limiting power points. With 5 PP per rank you can buy up a LOT of stats and skills. I think it would be especially useful for simulating monstrous characters that are difficult to balance with the core rules. I'd also suggest deciding what you will or won't allow before beginning character creation. I also think the NE powers are well suited to anime style games where you have magic dueling with high tech.
Boldfist
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey RookStrife, I've looked through the NE powers again with thoughts of using it for Star Warriors (thanks to Clint's recommendation). For a high powered game I think it's a brilliant answer. But it will take some work to decide what will be allowed and for who... plus you have to beef up the bad guys considerably as the heroes will be "super" powered.

Most of the powers can be used straight out of the powers section without changing them (Super Attribute, Super Edge and Super Skill) for normals. I would also allow Lair and Vehicle with some restrictions.

Here are the initial powers (and Trappings) I thought would do well for Psi Knights:

Attack Melee (limited by Rank) - for additional damage with laser swords
Attack Ranged (Bad guys only) - lightning bolts
Awareness (Requires Activation) - Psi Sense
Deflection (with Catch & Throw from Parry) - for laser swords or hands
Fear (Bad guys only)
Healing
Heightened Senses (Requires Awareness first)
Leaping (limited to 2 levels?)
Mind Control (suggestion) - These are not the toys you're looking for... try the Buy More.
Mind Reading (surface thoughts only)
Parry (with Catch & Throw)
Speed (limited to 2 levels?)
Telekinesis (modifier to use it's Strength to choke as well?)
Telepathy

I would require all powers to use Activation but without the -1 discount. I also thought a good limit would be the character's Rank. So at Novice you could buy one level of a power, at Seasoned buy two levels and so on. Some powers (like Mind Control) have no levels to purchase so they would need a Rank requirement like Seasoned or Veteran. Or perhaps require a Professional Edge first.

Anyway, just my first few notes I jotted down while going over the powers with Psi Knights and Star Warriors in mind!
supercOntra
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used NE rules for a Sci-fi setting where the players were genetically enhanced soldiers. It worked out very well. I disallowed a few powers otherwise ran it pretty much out of the box. Fatigues instead of capes
Tuesday
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NE would be a great rules set to run Old Man's War in, yeah. Again, though, you mostly want to disallow a few powers and limit the number of power points.

5 PP to start, "Extra Power Points" available once per rank and gives 2PP, and that might be just about right. Maybe a little low.
steelbrok
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to chip in as well, Clint's suggestion made me rethink how I handle my Traveller conversion completely. I looking at splitting the powers background into:

Psion
Gearhead (would include ships, I was thinking maybe 10PP for a small freighter)
Cyborg
Edenist - for fans of Peter F. Hamilton (and yes it's a big departure for those familiar with the Traveller background)

Each to have its own list of powers and suggested trappings
Primus Magus
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, NE rules can definitely be used for both Sci fi and fantasy.
There is however, IMHO no reason to give different species or races bonuses and penalties if you are gong to use the NE rules anyway. you can easily build any kind of character with it.

Lets see, Elf, that would be, ageless, with or without the very old bonus, depending on concept. High agility, just add some point in super attributes, darkvision etc.

Orc. Toughness (1), higher strength, and or vigor. Get permission to by Berserk with Super edges. Darkvision etc. I could go on, but I think you get the idea. Just my two cents anyway.

On a slightly related note.

Lack of a better term, a high fantasy, sci fi setting that is currently floating around in the void of my head. And I thought NE would work perfectly for it. The characters play psionic humans and aliens. All the technology in the setting is based around psionics, and powered by it. Instead of radio communication, they use Telepathic senders. ESP sensors replaces radars etc. power points can be moved back and forth to power various equipment, however, it requires an action to do so. Also, characters cant just boost a blaster to make an instant kill death-ray when they need one. Equipment is governed by 3 factors. The minimum required power, its maximum yield, and the characters power points.

And with any setting I have ever imagined to date, I don’t know what the characters are suppose to do there. So far the only stuff iv managed to come up with is, fighting the evil oppressive human fascist empire. Unearth the mysteries surrounding old extinct worlds, encountering godlike cthulhu-ish creatures roaming the cosmos, first contacts situations. Im sure Im missing some of the more original once.
dentris
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are interested, you can find another thread discussing the Sci-Fi issue here: http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20919.

I mostly worked on alien races so far...But I'm currently working on Star Knights powers and rules for gear.

By the way, I created a new power to include a trick not covered in NE.

Battle Mediation (1-5)
Increase range of Leadership edges depending on level
1= 10 squares
3= 25 squares
5= 100 squares
(+4) Leadership edges affect Wild Cards in range
(+3) Battle Meditation can be used during space combat using Space scale
(+2) Double effect of leadership edge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: