Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Modern Setting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrendelTheDeamon
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: A Modern Setting Reply with quote

Im tryin to construct a normal modern world...but underground outlaw...gangs all the darker things in life...I got 3 players and Im not sure where to even start. Any ideas would be much appreciated...Thanks.

#gunbattle
Revolution 9
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make the gangs like the ones from The Warriors Very Happy

Final Fantasy is neither final nor fantasy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GrendelTheDeamon
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revolution 9 wrote:
Make the gangs like the ones from The Warriors Very Happy

Thanks I didnt think of that one...I got three criminals so far...but the world isnt coming to me so easiliy...So i figure Id use something a lil more umm...well a GTA 4 map and divide it several different ways...any ideas one this?
zeth
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't reinvent the wheel and use the common gangster stats in the book or free supplements for your mooks.
GranFalloon
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, if you use Warriors-esgue gangs (The Casual Fridays ftw!), do you treat each gang much like a separate race? Then what happens when everyone wants to be something different? The Lizzy draws aggro while the Baseball Fury gets the drop on the enemy!

"I jus' knew dos guys was wimps!"
ronin3338
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe something like Boondock Saints? They could be vigilantes, or modern day Robin Hoods?

I forget the name of the TV show... there was one with a "secret" police unit that operated under the radar by using impounded items and going undercover to mingle with the criminals and bring them down. It had Bill Bellamy and Tiffany Amber Theisen...
Fastlane? Something like that.
ragboy
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on something similar... We should collaborate:

http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20837
- Rocketship Empires 1936
- Modern Crime campaign notes
- Battlestar Galactica
- Lots o' mooks and villians.
Mendalla
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you read any of the Burke novels by Andrew Vachss? Very dark crime novels about an ex-con and his buddies working "off the grid" as unlicensed investigators. Tends to focus heavily on Vachss' pet causes (child abuse in particular), but the way Burke's crew works together is a good model for a PC group in such a setting. Especially good for the various ways Burke manages to function without catching the attention of the authorities, even as he helps them out at times. The setting, by the way, is the sleazy underbelly of contemporary NYC.

Mendalla
jeff
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TNT will be running a new series called "Leverage" about a gang of modern day thieves and hackers who act like Robin Hood. When this show starts, you might be able to get inspiration from it.
DerFinsterling
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are we talking about when we speak "modern"?
1930ies? 1990ies? 21st century? 23rd?
Is it Bladerunner, The Godfather, Scarface (the one from dePalma), Road to Perdition, Pulp Fiction, Outland? Heck, even Heat or the Nolan Batman movies could serve as an inspiration.

This is what I would start with: Decide which film or book would most closely fit your game world. Could also be a mix: "It's Outland crossed with Pulp Fiction!"
This may help you get a broad picture of your world. Then start refining it.
Then think what the player characters would do - are they members of a gang or are they fighting them (ie, law enforcers)? If the former, you'll need to define the gangs or families more deeply than if the cops face all the gangs together (even if they're embroiled in mob wars themselves).

Next, think about the area: Is it wide open (ie, the whole planet or a nation) or is it confined to a city or space station?

Go through it step by step, take some notes. Would you like that Aliens show up during the campaign? Will they be available right away? No - then take a note and come back to it later.
Will the characters fight for the control of a city, but start as small-timers controlling some racket near the harbor district? Don't waste hours designing the rich suburbeas, come back to them later.
Tuesday
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When this show starts, you might be able to get inspiration from it.

The pilot is available on the net already, and the showrunner's blog has all kinds of interesting notes about the show.

http://kfmonkey.blogspot.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: