Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rituals a la Black & Standard Magic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Does it blend?
Aye!
100%
 100%  [ 2 ]
Nay!!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

sulfurdown
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Rituals a la Black & Standard Magic Reply with quote

Has anyone used Clint Black's Ritual system (SB1:2 pg 65-67) in addition to any of the standard AB? How well do they blend or do you really need to go wholly one way or the other? Does anyone have suggestions for handling blending them?
jamused
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using it currently in my fantasy setting, but we've only had one real session so far so I can't really say how well it blends. I've house-ruled no Quick and Dirty rituals because I'm worried that otherwise they'll overshadow Powers that you need to spend Edges on. Another house rule is that ongoing spells (cast on a focus) only last until the user lets go of the focus, which has to be something inconvenient to handle, to prevent ritualists from just becoming magic item factories. For example, the water breathing spell requires a pearl that you have to hold in your mouth and the spell is broken when you take it out; the enchanted bone for the armor against undead spell must be held tightly in one hand, preventing you from using it for anything else, etc.

I also have created a tweaked version of AB:Magic (called Scholastic Magic) that gives practitioners a roll to research a ritual using their spell-book. Anyone in the setting can cast a ritual from a book or scroll if they have Knowledge: Arcane, and can memorize d/2 rituals, but only Scholastic Mages who've spent years studying the theory and taking notes on their experiments can cobble together a new ritual if given time.
sulfurdown
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of having to maintain possession of a focus to keep a ritual in effect!

I put up the poll because I'm making a run at a large scale conversion of the Age of Worms AP and I'm hoping to get insight into how the different AB (or non-AB) mix together.

Since AoW is native to GH but has such potential for a horror twist, I'm gearing down the magic across the board and installing a sanity system. I'm currently considering porting any "divine" materials or characters to a Ritual basis instead of Miracles and the "arcane" is going over to either AB(Magic) or a version of Alchemy. However, if I they don't play nicely together I don't really want to invest in a ton of house rules so I'll have to go a different route.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: