Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Savage Star Wars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dentris
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: New Savage Star Wars Reply with quote

A recent topic about which Savage Star Wars conversion was better ended up with Clint offering his own advice about how to deal with “Star Rangers” and the potential power difference between them and “normal” characters.

The rules he proposed was, in my opinion, brilliant. In summary, every character is given a number of power points as described in Necessary Evil. With them, they buy their equipment, racial template and “Mystical” abilities (if any), allowing some kind of game balance between the supernatural and mundane characters.

Immediately, I started to create an anthology of all the different alien races, their powers and power points cost. I want your comments on them, and if any of you wants to contribute, please do. In order to protect copyright rights, I think you could give a link to wookiepedia ( http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page ) instead of naming the species.

Just so you know, I made some changes to some powers in Necessary Evil, mostly for modifiers

Attack, Ranged (new modifiers)
(-2) requires 2 hands
(-1) Limited ammo: 15 shots

Super Edge
(+1) Background edge or professional edge

An entry that begins with * is an example of items usually used by this species. All the equipment power cost didn’t receive the -1 modifier for being an item. I just felt it was better that way.

The link to download the file is here: http://savefile.com/projects/808703009
Renny
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great idea. I'll have a proper look later.

Renny

Currently 99% Savage and proud !
Artking3
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds a lot like Mutants and Masterminds's power system, where Power Points are used to buy everything, including weapons.

One thing I don't like about it is that using PP to buy weapons and gear usually meant a character must spend a lot of PP on gear if its part of his schtick, such as being a special ops soldier. It doesn't leave enough PP for other things. Unless gear created using PP is trademark gear only, which can't be lost or destroyed.

Using PP for "normal" characters also rapidly elevates them to "normals" in a superhero world, like Batman. Thats what I discovered playing M&M. "Normals" are no longer normal, which is disappointing in a way.
dentris
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, i was thinking about adding some "off-the-shelves" equipments that require no PP, but they would be fairly low-powered.
dentris
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of the old D6 Star Wars system. I used it as a starting points for this conversion, and here is what i came up with so far.

Quote:
Creating a hero

1. Character concept

What do you want to play? A young jedi padawan? a hot-headed smuggler? a beautiful and mysterious agent of the Hutts? Within these pages you’ll find the rules to play all of them, but at first, you need a general idea of what kind of character you want to play. Although there is no immediate effect on the character, you also determine at this point if he is force-sensitive or not. Remember, being force-sensitive doesn’t mean you are necessarily a Jedi, but you have the potential to be one.

2. Select attribute

You have 6 points to distribute between the six attributes (Agility, Smarts, Spirit, Strength, Vigor and Force). Each attributes starts at d4 and each point increases one attribute by one type (form d4 to d6, for example). Only Force-sensitive characters have access to the Force attribute. Those blind to the mystic effects of the Force have no Force attribute (and thus cannot increase it).

3. Select skills

Every character has 15 skill points to distribute. Raising a skill by one die step costs 1 point as long as its linked attribute is higher. It costs 2 points per die type to increase a skill over its linked attribute. Savage Star Wars characters have access to 4 new skills explained below: Sense (Force), Control (Force), Alter (Force) and Mercantile (Smarts). Only Force-sensitive characters may have points in Sense, Control and Alter. In addition, Guts (Spirit) is no longer a skill. Spirit is used instead.

4. Select Hindrances and Edges

You may take Hindrances following the usual guidelines found in Savage Worlds (maximum of 2 minors (1 point each) and 1 major hindrance (2 points)). For one point, you can gain an additional skill point. For 2 points, you have one additional attribute point or you can select an edge. In addition, everyone starts with 1 free edge. (Yeah, including aliens. You’ll see why below). New Hindrances and Edges are described below.

5. Calculate secondary statistics

Charisma: 0 + or - modifiers given by edges and hindrances.
Pace: 6 + or 0 modifiers given by edges and hindrances.
Parry: 2 + half the fighting die type + or – modifiers given by edges and hindrances.
Toughness: 2 + half the vigor die type + or – modifiers given by edges and hindrances.
Dark Side Influence: 1 + or - modifiers
Attunement: 2 + half the force die type + or – modifiers given by edges and hindrance

6. Select Powers

Everyone starts with 15 power points. With these points, a character must buy an alien species (if other than human), force powers (if Jedi) and gear. You can also have access to ‘’temporary gear’’ through the use of the mercantile skill described below.

Each of the different costs are described in separate documents.

New Skills

Sense (Force)

A Jedi feels the world in a different fashion than normal living beings. Everything is in harmony and the Force-Sensitive character knows it. The Sense skill may be used instead of Notice. All Edges giving a bonus to Notice rolls only give a bonus to Sense rolls when used as the Notice skill. In addition, a character may detect Force users with a successful Sense skill roll (opposed by the target’s Control if he is trying to conceal his Jedi abilities)

Also, a character with Sense may temporarily gain access to Sense Jedi Powers (not Control or Alter) by making a Sense roll with a penalty equal to the Power Point value of the Power. A power may also be increased in power, the penalty being the difference between the Power Point value of the old and new power. The Jedi keeps the power for a number of rounds equal to his Attunement. A failure on the Sense skill roll gives the Jedi one point of Fatigue.

Control (Force)

A Jedi has a great control over his inner self, allowing him to push his body way beyod the normal limits. Control may be used instead of Vigor when soaking damage, when resisting damage from poison or disease or when holding his breath. All Edges giving a bonus to Vigor rolls only give a bonus to Control rolls when used as the Vigor trait.

Also, a character with Control may temporarily gain access to Control Jedi Powers (not Sense or Alter) by making a Control roll with a penalty equal to the Power Point value of the Power. A power may also be increased in power, the penalty being the difference between the Power Point value of the old and new power. The Jedi keeps the power for a number of rounds equal to his Attunement. A failure on the Control skill roll gives the Jedi one point of Fatigue.

Alter (Force)

The world answers to a Jedi’s call. By controlling the harmony between things, the Jedi may transform the world and breaks the rules normally accepted by common sense.
Also, a character with Alter may temporarily gain access to Alter Jedi Powers (not Sense or Control) by making an Alter roll with a penalty equal to the Power Point value of the Power. A power may also be increased in power, the penalty being the difference between the Power Point value of the old and new power. The Jedi keeps the power for a number of rounds equal to his Attunement. A failure on the Alter skill roll gives the Jedi one point of Fatigue.

Mercantile (Smarts)

Some people are better than others with money. Some people could even loan refrigerators to Inuit if they really put the efforts. Mercantile covers one’s ability to sell at high prices, buy at low prices. A character may make a Mercantile skill roll to gain access to one common piece of equipment for the remainder of the game session.

Also, a character with Mercantile may temporarily gain access to gears covered by Power Points by making a Mercantile roll with a penalty equal to the Power Point value of the Power. A power may also be increased in power, the penalty being the difference between the Power Point value of the old and new power. The character keeps the until the end of the game session. A failure on the Mercantile roll on any of the mentioned use prevent the character from using Mercantile until the beginning of the next session.

New Derived Attributes

Dark Side Influence

Anytime you make an immoral action (from petty theft to murder), you must make a Force roll. A failure increases your Dark Side Influence. If your Dark Side Influence ever gets higher than your Attunement, hand over your character sheet to the GM. You are an evil character now your GM will make sure to use in the future.

Attunement

Attunement represents one’s connection with the Force. It has no clear use in itself, but high Attunement allow temporary Jedi Powers to last longer and prevent a character from falling to the Dark Side.

I also made a list of all the powers available to Jedi with some modifications to keep the Star Wars feel intact, but I don't think I can post this without breaking some copyrights. I'll try to come up with a copyright-free document with the minimum information necessary to understand the difference between the NE version of the powers (If any).

Here is a quick list of the powers.

Quote:
Sense powers
Battle Mediation
Fear (Fear)
Force Awareness (Awareness)
Telepathy (Telepathy)

Control powers
Deflection (Deflection/Parry)
Force Celerity (Extra actions)
Force Leap (Leaping)
Force Sprint (Speed)
Lightsaber mastery (Attack, Melee)

Alter powers
Droid Malfunction (Malfunction)
Force Heal (Healing)
Force Illusion (Illusion)
Force Manipulation (Telekinesis/Force Control)
Lightning Strike (Attack, Ranged)
Mind Trick (Mind Control)

Y'all Of Cthulhu
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love and cherish the old D6 Star Wars. I still proudly have my materials sitting idly upon my shelves. Actually, some of the guys over at The Rancor Pit still do conversions of the newer WoTC Star Wars stuff to D6 complete with covers and everything. Very nice stuff! Mr. Green
dentris
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came up with a little something new for the gear section (still under construction)

Quote:
Vehicle construction rules

Each points in the vehicle power gives 5 “Construction points”. These points may be used to improve a vehicle’s capacity.

A “standard” 0 point vehicle has the following attributes

Top Speed: 4 (land speed)
Toughness: 5
Crew: 1
Passenger: 0

With construction points, you can add the following features:

-Armor (1 point per point of armor), either thicker hull or shield system.
-Increased Toughness (3 points for 2 points of extra toughness)
-Weapons (As the Attack, Ranged, or rarely, Attack, Melee power)
-Co-pilot (2 for each co-pilot) A co-pilot (either living or droid), may help the pilot by taking actions for the vehicle on its own: weapon systems, communication, astrogation, etc.
-Large crew (5) Although it takes a large crew to operate the vehicle (1/10 the passenger capacity), the ship never suffers from MAP as all actions are taken by different crewmembers.
-Fast (1 points for each 2 points of Top Speed above 4)
-Increased Size (3) points per size increase. Each +1 in size increases the vehicle’s toughness as usual, and doubles the passenger capacity. The first size increases allow 1 passenger. For example, a size 4 vehicle would be able to carry 8 passengers, 1 for Size 1, 2 for size 2 (2x1), 4 for size 3 (2x2) and 8 for size 4 (4x2)) Please note, ship’s size and character’s size are NOT on the same scale, although they have the same game effects (+1 toughness per size). A size 2 ship is much bigger than a wookie. As an example, the Century Hawk (hint, hint) is a size 5 ship. A ship isn’t required to have all his possible passenger on board. Some of this space may be used as cargo space. Each passenger may be transferred to 10 cubic meter of cargo capacity.
-Hovercraft (2) A vehicle is usually a legged or wheeled one, with this upgrade, he hovers above ground, eliminating any terrain penalty.
-Flying (5) A flying vehicle can fly above ground, but cannot exist the atmosphere of a planet. He has a climb speed equal to half his Top Speed.
-Space Capable (10) The vehicle is able to fly in space, but not in atmosphere. The vehicle Top Speed is considered “space scale”. (for both space and atmosphere capable vehicle, you need to take the flying upgrade as well. In such case, atmosphere Top Speed is tripled)
-Hyper-space capable (4) The ship is able to fly through hyper-space.
-Hidden cargo space (2 per 10 cubic meter). can be used to hide dangerous or illegal cargo. It gives a -4 to notice rolls to find the cargo.
-Prisons (1 per prisoner) With this upgrade, a ship may safely carry one prisoner no greater than size 3. Attempts to escape are made at -4.

Example of vehicle construction:

Vigilant Storm 4, a bounty hunter’s ship

As a bounty hunter ship, the Vigilante Storm 4 doesn’t need a lot of passenger space, but at least some (you have to put those prisoners somewhere). As such, a size of 3 is quite good (9 construction points). The Vigilante Storm 4 is also likely to face a hard fight, a +2 toughness (3 points), + 6 armor (6 points) and two 3d6, ROF 2, AP 3 cannons are a good addition (18 points). Speed is also often a key element of a good bounty hunter, as such, the Vigilante Storm 4 has a speed of 14 (5 points), is space capable (10 points) and hyper-space capable (4 points). In addition, the Vigilante Storm 4 includes some space for an astromech droid as a co-pilot (can’t trust anything else) (2 points), a small hidden cargo space (2 points) and 1 prison cell (1 point).

Overall the Vigilante Storm 4 is worth 60 construction points (or 12 power points) and has the following attributes

Top Speed: 14 (space speed), 42 (land speed)
Climb: 7 (space speed), 21 (land speed)
Toughness: 16 (6)
Crew: 2 (pilot + astromech droid)
Passenger: 2
Cargo Space: 20 cubic meters + 10 cubic meters (hidden)
Prisoner Space: 1

And another similar thing

Quote:
Followers creation rules

Each points in the Followers power gives 5 “Creation points”.

For 3 points, you can have an intelligent follower (human, alien or droid) with the following attributes

Agi d6, Sma d6, Spr d6, Str d6, Vig d6,
5 skill points

For 2 points, you can have an animal follower with the following attributes.

Agi d6, Sma d4 (A), Spr d6, Str d6, Vig d6,
4 skill points

Each of these followers may be further improved with the following upgrades.

-+1 skill points (1 creation points)
-+1 attribute step (2 creation points)
-1 Combat edge (2 creation points, must meet the prerequisite)
-1 other edge (3 creation points, must meet the prerequisite)
-Alien species (number of creation points equal to pp cost of the alien species)
-Gear (number of creation points equal to pp cost of the gear. May not have more than 10 creation points in gear for a single follower. May not take the gear from the follower.)
-Jedi powers (number of creation equal to twice to pp cost of the jedi power. May not have more than 10 creation points in force powers for a single follower.)
-Loyal hindrance (2 creation points)

Example of follower creation

R5-O6

AS a typical astromech droid, R5-O6 is an intelligent follower (3 points), and has greater computing ability with a Smarts of d8 (2 point). He also has a larger variety of skills with +1 skill points (1) and the following “species abilities” (Can’t speak basic -2, Interface with Codebreaker +3, Construct +5 and the Macgiver edge +3) (9 points).

R5-O6 has a total of 15 creation points or a total of 3 power points value and the following attributes

Agi d6, Sma d8, Spr d6, Str d6, Vig d6
Skills: Knowledge (Astrogation) d6, Notice d4, Repair d6, Gunnery d4.
Feats: Macgiver
Powers: Interface (Codebreaker), Construct
Hindrances: Can’t speak basic

dentris
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New update. I finished the gear powers. Again, I'm not sure about copyrights and I will not include the actual power explanations for now in order to protect NE content.

I can give you this though. It's not much, but it shows what i've done:
Quote:

Vehicle (Vehicle) (1+)
Vision enhancement (Awareness/Heightened senses/Darkvision) (1)
Tremor Generator (Earthquake) (1)
Stealth Belt (Invisibility) (5)
Ranged Weapon (Attack, Ranged) 3/level
Pocket Universal Translator (Speak Language) (1)
Personal Shield System (Absorption/Deflection) 2/level
Paralysis (Paralysis) (2)
Melee weapon (Attack, Melee) 2/level
Life-support (Aquatic) (1)
Ion Gun (Malfunction) (3)
Interface (Interface) (2)
Infection (Infection) (2-5)
Grenades (Attack, Ranged) (3/level)
Grappling Gun (Swinging) (3)
Followers (Minions) (1+)
Flight (Flight) (2-10)
Extra Manipulator (Extra Limb) (4/level)
Ensnare (Ensnare) (3)
Energy Supply (Super-Sorcery) (3/level)
Damage Field (Damage Field) (3)
Communication system (Broadcast) (1)
Climbing Apparatus (Wall-Walker) (1)
Body Armor (Armor) 1/level
Bacta Tank (Healing) (2)

Now, I'm back at the table for the droid powers...and by now, I promise i'll find a way to upload more info and respect PEG intellectual property at the same time.
Lord Lance
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any PDF at horizon, when you'll finish the work??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: