Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Savage Scoin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus Magus
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Savage Scoin Reply with quote

Anyone not familiar with Scion, its about Heroics, with a capital H, its about the children of old, nearly forgotten pagan Gods. And most important of all, its about kicking Titan @$$, with a capital A

Now, having bought the game, read the book, awesome idea. But I felt the system was, well… meh. The system just left a bad taste in my mouth. Like that carpet taste you sometime get in the morning (or maybe that’s just me).

But now for something completely different. The thought of savaging Scion had occurred to me several times. its just that the normal AB from SW:EX just wouldn’t work IMHO.

My attitude changed when I got my greedy little hands on Necessary Evil.
I see now that SW is perfect for running a game about heroic children of pagan Gods.

However, quick thought.
In the original system, magic items where connected to a sphere(s) of divine purview(s). You need your birthright to get access to certain powers. This is easy at character creation, just make the power a Device.
But what happens when the character takes the “power Points” edge, and want a new Birthright item, does he “mysteriously” get his hands on a new magic item.

And what about more powerful items, relics, supernal weapon (taken from defeated foes, or as rewards). Etc. Just stat them up, and have them totally separate from inborn powers!?

Any suggestions
JackAce
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking into a similar direction a while ago...

As to Birthrights and new Powers, remember that the Birthrights themselves usually have very little power of their own. They merely act as focusses for the Scions' Powers. A newly learned Power could very well be linked to a Birthright the character already possesses. And if it doesn't, then the character will need to find an appropriate artefact of the Power will remain unavailable for him.

Overall, I ended up scrapping the idea altogether. The way the various powers work in the setting is just too much intertwined with the rules system (as with most WW settings). In the long run, I think it would be more satisfying to cope with the original system than to force the setting into a rules system it's not been made for...
John Q. Mayhem
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run Savage Scion before. It works well, I think, as long as you make sure nobody just jacks up their Fighting/Shooting, Parry, and Toughness. That just makes it not much fun.

For buying new items with advances, I'd just say, "Hey, plot of the next session!" and have them find it/be granted it as a reward as part of the next game. As for looted items, just make sure nobody's left out or too powerful. Or use mostly monstrous titanspawn and enemy Scions with more innate powers than relics.

I think Mutants and Masterminds might work even better, but I'm not sure, and chargen is soooo complicated that nobody I game with wants to use it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: