Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FFG Midnight for SW:EX? Heroic Paths.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blogotron
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: FFG Midnight for SW:EX? Heroic Paths. Reply with quote

Well my intended game of Solomon Kane died onthe vone when it was revealed to me that after I get no dissenters for SK they secretly wanted nothing to do with what they saw as a "religious game".

They do seem interested in reviving our Midnight game www.fantasyflightgames.com or www.ats.unifans.com for more info. which has been defunct for 2 years (lack of players) . I have the conversion notes someone was nice enough to post at the ATS website but there is no mention of heroic paths which are part and parcel of the setting.

For those of you who are saying"huh?" right about now, In Midnight, magic is sortof weak/rare for the good guys and to make up for this Heroes gain powers based upon their level. These powers are themed and generally number about 5 powers that then grow in strength as the character levels up. My idea was just to condense the 20 levels of powers to fit in the Savage Worlds five ranks (novice thru legendary)

My other questions results from the relative weakness of PC magic in Midnight. the Villains have access to things like Bolt from day one but in d20 midnight powers such as bolt are unavailable until you are past the novice stage and even then cost more than normal to cast. So do i just make direct damage spells cost one more PP than normal to simulate this?

How has anyone tried to convert Prestige classes? Just make a themed Edges that are available only to Veterans and above?
arnon
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Blogotron,

first off a small correction, Against the Shadow has moved to a new address (link).

Now... I love Midnight and the conversion files over on AtS, from what I looked over, are very good indeed.(link if anybody is interested)

I agree that you should go with the five SW ranks for the Heroic Paths; What they are could vary widely. If giving them Powers, then i think it would be best fit to use the rules from AB(Super Power), only give them much less PP like 10... maybe even 5, and that it'll increase slightly with new rank (or every other rank).

For example:
Chanceborn - Easy, give out an extra bennie for each rank
Charismatic - +1 Charisma at some ranks, maybe give the Puppet power.
Quickened - bonuses to Pace, Parry, agility....
etc..

Quote:
How has anyone tried to convert Prestige classes? Just make a themed Edges that are available only to Veterans and above?

Check out the Edges/Hindrances file in the section under Professional Edges.

Quote:
My other questions results from the relative weakness of PC magic in Midnight.

To make Midnight Magic harder to use I'd first, increase the direct damage spells, but i do not think 1 PP is enough... maybe 2 or 3 PP will be better. Second, make recharge of PP take longer, maybe instead of 1 PP per hour, 1 PP per two hours...
Emiricol
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Midnight 2E make magic harder to use for everyone? IIRC the real game penalties for using magic were role-play oriented, and attracting Legates.

I like where Arnon is going with Heroic Paths. I also agree that Prestige Classes are most easily handled with Professional Edges.
arnon
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emiricol wrote:
Did Midnight 2E make magic harder to use for everyone? IIRC the real game penalties for using magic were role-play oriented, and attracting Legates.

In Midnight 2e to cast any of the offensive spells you need to:

1. Invest 2 feats (lesser evocation and then greater evocation), and need to be at least level ; and

2. Spells from the Greater schools cost 2 Spell Energy more to cast.

Also, Spellcasters in Midnight (the Channeler class) can usually cast less spells than a Sorcerer/Wizard in d20; hence my reason for a slower PP recharge.
Emiricol
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I see. You were comparing to normal D&D, not to, say, Legates. I... should have realized that Smile That's valid. And an elegant solution.
Blogotron
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arnon, its good to see you here. I used to post prodigiously at the old old boards for Midnight as "TheStranger".

I just grew tired of the Slow combat endemic to D20.

Ok, so direct Damage spells, increase the casting cost by 2 PP. Gotcha. Sounds good.

As for Heroic Paths. Rather than the per day rule that many of the Path abilities grant, just grant them a PP pool usable only with Path abilities? Sounds good. Basically making them Medieval fantasy super-heroes. Cool idea. I like it.

The idea is to ease people into Midnight by roleplaying the first year of the Fall. This allows all races and witha few twists still keeps the Dwarves and elves special.

Will also be incorporating firearms a la Solomon Kane. The DM always gets his way somehow!!
arnon
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheStranger, nice to see you too.

I would like to switch over to SW too, so far I've managed to run a 3-session pulp adventure (and most enjoyed) and in the near future we will probably have a Deadlands Reloaded adveture (not run by me)... but maybe it'll pave the way Smile

RE Heroic Paths: I don't particularly like the "per day" powers either, but i'd think about limiting the PP pool. But also, don't be shy about giving them other bonuses such as Ability/Skill increase, Pace/Charisma/etc. increase, or maybe special made Edges...

Quote:
The idea is to ease people into Midnight by roleplaying the first year of the Fall. This allows all races and witha few twists still keeps the Dwarves and elves special.

Cool! Smile

Tell me how it turns out...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: