Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marines, Mutants, and Monsters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drcheckmate
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Marines, Mutants, and Monsters Reply with quote

A game has been demanded of me and the players want to travel through space and kill... things... Well, actually the demands were game, space, and bullets, in that order, things... was my requirement.

So I started digging around for inspiration. 40k, Mutant Chronicles, Riddick, Starship Troopers... And, this is what I've got so far.

"You are Royal Colonial Marines. The other branches of the Empire’s armed services are tasked with the defense of the core worlds. Private security firms, mercenaries, and corporate militias defend the colonies. Your mission is to take the fight to the mutants and monsters that threaten the way of life of every single citizen of Her Majesty’s Empire."

What sort of monsters occur to all of you?

I came up with some character generation guidelines, but I'll save those for another post.
TheLoremaster
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Marines, Mutants, and Monsters Reply with quote

drcheckmate wrote:
"You are Royal Colonial Marines. The other branches of the Empire’s armed services are tasked with the defense of the core worlds. Private security firms, mercenaries, and corporate militias defend the colonies. Your mission is to take the fight to the mutants and monsters that threaten the way of life of every single citizen of Her Majesty’s Empire."

I came up with some character generation guidelines, but I'll save those for another post.

Sounds a lot like Necropolis: trade out "Church" for "Empire" and you'll have a lot to work with. I'd also recommend the Sci-Fi Bestiary as well; it has lots of weird beasties that might be appropriate, some of which should look awfully familiar... Wink Slipstream copies some of those and adds more.
SlasherEpoch
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monsters for that?

Um, big ugly green aliens...big ugly bug aliens...strange, ugly, incomprehensible aliens who wage a perpetual religious war against all ugly aliens...extremely pretty but extremely dangerous aliens...and the all-important superintelligent alien virus that turns people into zombies.

Sounds like you want a combat-heavy kitchen sink kind of experience, am I right?

Evil Wig Enterprises Minion #15 - "The
Machete"
Big Juju
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Marines, Mutants, and Monsters Reply with quote

drcheckmate wrote:

Not to be flip, but I'd say it depends on what minis you have!

The prototypical sci-fi monsters would be good. Aliens(TM) and lots of other mindless killing machines. Space orks and others would be appropriate. You could even work in zombies - the new planet has a horrible virus which infects those who are mortally ill!

I'd take a look over at Savage Heroes for some inspiration:
http://www.savageheroes.com/conversions.htm

You might want to look at some video game conversions as well, like HALO. Lots of bad, mean aliens there:
http://marcogarvey.blogspot.com/2008/05/savage-halo.html
Big Juju
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh - should have read more closely. SlasherEpoch beat me to the zombie idea. Guess great minds think alike ...
Emiricol
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget parasites like Puppet Master's.
drcheckmate
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't actually have any minis for this. I snagged some "starship troopers" from onemonk.com ages ago, so I've got my Marines covered, but I've got nothing for beasties... So, I guess a fine follow up question would be, "Where can I get some free monsters for my heroes to beat up and blow away?"

And, Necropolis is near the top of my wish list these days, but I'm a little broke.
Big Juju
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should head back over to One Monk. Lots of freebie monsters - Deep Ones, Zombies, Cthulhu!: http://www.onemonk.com/Models.html

Another spot to check out would be this French site with lots of free paper mini downloads from tons of different genres: http://www.gwindel.eu/Figurines.html Just click on a mini image to download.

And don't forget there are lots of freebie paper minis right here on the PEG website download section: http://www.peginc.com/downloads.html The Wizards and Warriors bundle has zombies. The Pulp figure flats have spear chucking natives and alligators. The Lost Colony Cardstock Cowboys have primitive alien humanoids.
Big Juju
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some more. The marines and soldiers from the Modern Ops figure flats could be used as planetary militia. The terrorists as ... terrorists!
http://web.archive.org/web/20050427230309/www.peginc.com/Games/Savage+Worlds/Downloads/Modern+Ops/MOFigures.pdf Some armored vehicles and helicopters there too.

Dr Who Daleks here: http://members.tripod.com/~into_the_shadows/models/

Triple Ace has some free Sundered Skies and pulp figure flats: http://www.tripleacegames.com/FreeDownloads.php

And one of my all time favorite set of paper miniatures - this website lets you design your own Star Trek Federation, Klingon, and other alien minis from each of the TV shows and movies! http://uk.geocities.com/wayne.peters@btinternet.com/trekminis/index.htm
drcheckmate
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks!
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea s from my JEDI CHICKS and Star Furies universe

An evil self serving corporation with their hands in every thing bad protected by connections to some of the rich royal families.

Space Pirates never enough space pirates.

Slave Traders kind of like space pirates and may work with them but they have lots of slave girls that need rescued.

Odd one off or short run series of genetically modified humans out of banned research facilities. Like maybe four arm four eyes factory assembly slave clones that escape and become 4 fisted gunfighters.

Vampires, psychic space vampires that drain energy from humans with a touch.

Cannibal space pirates who are also cyborgs and natural and artificial mutants

A human strain with genetic drift from living on a odd planet or that was genetically modified to live on a marginal planet. Huge eyes to see in the dark Strong bones to live in a High G world etc

Human/Animal hybrids or uplifted Animals like Venusian Barbarian Lizard Women

Read David Drake and David Webber or any thing at Baen.com in the free download section it is all military sci fi

Oh and they have to rescue

Rebeca from the Brooks Hydroponic Station on the sunny side of the Moon

and

Anna who lives in a space dome with green portholes on Prince Edward Asteroid

Last edited by VonDan on Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:06 am; edited 2 times in total
drcheckmate
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those last two deserve a genre bending post of there own! Anne and Rebecca. Wow. I can't be that sick and tired this morning, I got those.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drcheckmate wrote:
Those last two deserve a genre bending post of there own! Anne and Rebecca. Wow. I can't be that sick and tired this morning, I got those.

Yes they are both members of Jane Astro's Crew who help fight to bring the fall of the mighty U-Corp
drcheckmate
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VonDan, if you aren't pulling this all out of your dice bag as you go here, please share this with the rest of us. I ask, cause I've been thinking a steampunk/neo-victoriana take on Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers would rock. I've just lacked the motivation to do it myself.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I was pulling the ideas from my dice bag, my brown wrinkly dice bag (I made it from Ostridge hide)

Most of the ideas were from my Star Wars Novel JEDI CHICKS that I’m re writing into my own military science fiction setting with the working title Star Furies.

The Ideas about Jane Astro and her friends Rebecca, Anne and Pollyanna are from a very brief idea of putting all the ladies from the young women’s novels into a cyber pulpy space setting.

I do have one Victorian Steam punk project but it is not in space it’s more of a Charlie’s angles in 1899 or League of Extraordinary Chicks.

I do have one project that is very much akin to the Flash Gordon and Buck Rodgers serials of the 30’s, with lots a pulpy low science style (rocket and ray guns no Hyperdive or lazers) and cliffhangers. . It started as a series of fan stories that was to go into a promotional book for an anime convention. The convention was Kumoricon, which is the Japanese, word for cloudy and its mascot was K Girl. I imagined the cloud kingdom as a Oxygen nitrogen torus ring orbiting a G type star at about 1 AU which was the basic idea behind Larry Niven’s book “The smoke ring”. But I had the idea that the torus ring is always cloudy and misty (K-Girl the Cloud Kingdom princess knew 55 different words for cloud) and in this ring of breathable atmosphere is an asteroid ring. Much like the moons of Mongol in Flash Gordon that seemed to share the same atmosphere one could travel from one small world to another by various means of air travel. The cloud and asteroid ring would have been divided into various regions with the most civilization in and around the empire of the cloud kingdom. It would have various tech levels on the various worlds, and share motifs with many anime shows. In the first series there would have been a giant battle that included fighter plans, a flying battleship, construction mechs with ripper claws and welding torches, dragons, ultra lights, a zeppelin mounting a wave motion gun, Imperial guards, Pretty fighters, Bikers, ninjas’ power suit troopers and barbarians
drcheckmate
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Torus Ring idea is awesome. I wish our Solar System had one for our asteroid belt.
dumok
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Background I would recommend is $tarcorps Miniatures Game from Crunchy Frog Games, It would be easy to convert some of the ideas listed and you could incorporate the background to include monsters and Such.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: