Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kids in Gaming
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> The Break Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What age did you start playing RPGs with your child?
0-5 (preschool)
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
6-8 (1st through 3rd grade)
30%
 30%  [ 13 ]
9-11 (4th through 6th grade)
35%
 35%  [ 15 ]
12-14 (7th through 9th grade)
16%
 16%  [ 7 ]
15-17 (10th through 12th grade)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
18+
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 42

Muse
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Kids in Gaming Reply with quote

While we were congratulating Tom on the birth of his daughter, I got to thinking about how we started with our girls in playing RPGs. So, as a parent and now a FLGSOnline Owner, I'd love to hear from my favorite Savages what has worked (and not worked) in this arena. A sort of scientific study, if you will, about the wherewithal and process of gaming as experienced by all of you with progeny. Smile

What age did you try out an RPG with your child? What prompted the decision? What qualities did you see in your child prior to gaming?

What was the RPG system, and how did the first session go? Subsequent game systems and sessions? Why did you choose that system?

How often did you run an RPG for them before they wanted to GM?

Did they GM for others? How did you help? Who were the other players (family, same age friends, genders)?

Do they still enjoy RPGs today? What do they play? What qualities do you see in your child that you think come from playing RPGs?

I'll post my answers in a reply so it's easier to quote this for your replies. Thanks!
Lord Inar
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few answers...
What age?
So I realized that my answer is tricky. I started playing with my oldest son when he was about 8 but then a year later I introduced my other kids to RPGs, who were 7 and 5 at the time. So is it 5 or is it 8?

What prompted the decision?
Well there comes a time in every child's life when they realize they need to put away childish things and pick up a set of dice. It was that time. It wasn't if it was when, and I think it had more to do with me making the time, than any thinking that they were ready/not ready.

What was the RPG system, and how did the first session go?
Not too much in the first session, just some D&D minis with a few skirmishes and a little RPing thrown in. We also played a little Fantasy Trip, which is about the easiest game to get them started (except for the math of adding 3d6).
My oft repeated tale is to remember that when your 5 year old daughter's character gets killed, it doesn't die, it just had to leave to go potty.

My one son 13 has been DMing a D&D 3.5 game once a week at school since last year. He's also been working on a couple of settings for Savage Worlds (Last Airbender and Roswell Conspiracies). The other two are more interested in playing.

Do they still enjoy RPGs today? What do they play?
All three kids play Savage Worlds and Villains and Vigilantes in a number of various adventures I run with a few of their friends. They play in a D&D 3.5 game that I just sort of help by getting out my minis and maps. We also play D&D minis and Monsterpocalypse when we can.
Best Internet page ever
Muse
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Kids in Gaming Reply with quote

What age did you try out an RPG with your child? What prompted the decision? What qualities did you see in your child prior to gaming?
Our kids were 4 and 6, I think. I know the eldest could read and the youngest could count the pips on the dice, so we figured they were ready. They also had a great imagination. Smile They were intrigued by the games we talked about playing and wanted to learn about them.

What was the RPG system, and how did the first session go? Subsequent game systems and sessions? Why did you choose that system?
Clint chose Risus (edited from FUDGE, show's how involved I was!) for its simplicity, and because there was a Meddling Kids download he'd looked through. The first session was no fun for us, but the eldest enjoyed it. The youngest wandered away from the game. It lasted an hour all told. I think the problem came from the system being too simple and freeform for me to understand what my character was capable of, so I had trouble showing the kids what a player does in a game. Smile I also think the eldest wanted to show her actions more than tell them, and it was distracting to tell her to sit down... again. Smile Our next game was Faery's Tale, when they were 6 and 8, both kids loved it, and were more able to pick up the concepts of gaming so it was fun for us too.

It was only a few games of Faery's Tale before the eldest wanted to run a game for us. She was 9 years old! She went on to GM at MACE convention last year, and she's planning to GM this weekend at HickoryCon, too. Our youngest has expressed an interest in GMing also (she's 9 now) but we just haven't found the time to help her run it.

Did they GM for others? How did you help? Who were the other players (family, same age friends, genders)?
Our eldest first ran for us and her sister, but at MACE it was a table of adults! Clint has been present for each of her games and sort of served as a co-GM. Even our last game (this past weekend while camping) she wanted to go over the scenario with him before running it. I've helped her friend GM a Savage Worlds game. He is a neighbor and classmate who is 10, and we introduced him and his 7 yr old brother to RPGS earlier this summer. The hardest part for him was letting the players kill his monsters. Smile

Do they still enjoy RPGs today? What do they play? What qualities do you see in your child that you think come from playing RPGs?
It's still too early to tell if they'll stick with it, but both love it for now and would love to play more often than the month or so between games we manage now. (Things are busy with the new business) The eldest runs Faery's Tale for us when we have an afternoon free, and Clint runs Dragon Age when he can, and on days when there's no school I *think* about running a Savage Worlds game for my kids and those 2 boys. I think RPGs teach them empathy. We can use the lessons learned in RPGs when they err in the real world, i.e., How do you think they feel about that? And of course the math and reading gets some exercise. Smile

Last edited by Muse on Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Muse
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Inar, you beat me to it! (I posted the topic and then had to reply during today's trumpet lesson).

I hope you get a chance to answer the other questions. I'd love to know what program at school has him running a D&D game!
Yorktown
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Kids in Gaming Reply with quote

Don't have kids yet, but here's what my father would have answered we he on this forum:

What age did you try out an RPG with your child?

He introduced me to my first RPG when I was nine.

Me pestering him to teach me to play. He'd talked occasionally about the D&D games he'd played with his high school and college friends, and I was fascinated. Finally, after several years of nagging, he caved.

What qualities did you see in your child prior to gaming?

No idea what to answer for that one. I don't really remember. Razz

Dungeons & Dragons v3.0. It went very well, actually. It was just a quick intro game, wherein we (myself and my little brother, seven at the time) were told that a band of goblins had captured a unicorn and were holding it hostage in a mountain cave. We had some fun bashing in the door, killing the goblins, and looting their lair. There wasn't much role-playing, but we got into that in the later sessions.

Subsequent game systems and sessions?

Also pretty well. They were just little mini-adventures like the goblins' lair, but we had a great time with them.

Why did you choose that system?

At the time, I hadn't heard of any others, and he chose it because it was the one I kept asking about.

I wanted to GM right away. I didn't actually do it for about a year, though.

Did they GM for others?

Yep. Still do, on a regular basis.

How did you help?

He taught me the finer points of the system that I hadn't grasped fully at first. He also supplied miniatures and dice.

Who were the other players (family, same age friends, genders)?

At first him and my little brother. Later, my high-school group of friends.

Do they still enjoy RPGs today?

Oh yeah.

What do they play?

Too many to list here, but primarily D&D v3.5 and Deadlands: Reloaded.

What qualities do you see in your child that you think come from playing RPGs?

Well, I can't answer with certainty, but I would say that I've definitely acquired a love for fiction and a heightened creative ability. At least, I'd like to think so. Razz [/i]
The shaft we raise to them and thee.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Concord Hymn"
heathd666
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 4 kids ranging from 10 to 17 i started all of them when they could roll the dice.

When they actually wanted to play in their own rpg i started them with hercules and xena rpg by westend games. it went very well for over half a dozen 5 to 10 year olds. all 4 of them had friends over and most of the friends were all interested if nothing else in what we were doing. i guess i chose the system becouse we would want hercules and xena on tv and it was something they recognized and could associate with.

Thats a tough one, they original crew i started with them playing i ran more sessions for them mayby once a week, but in between times they had other friends over who wanted to try it so ill go with 2 times a week. my middle son is the one who wanted to gm things the others have kinda gotten away from it over the years, and he wanted to start gm ing after the first session, he was probably 9 or 10 at the time.

yes he still dm's for others all the time. i helped him make his campaigns and helped him to understand the rules. the other players were siblings, friends other siblings friends family etc.

my middle son yes the other well my 17 year old thinks its nerdy, my youngest will play occasionally still but he is 10 now and the tv halds a special draw for him. i think they all learned that its not neccesary to win to have fun.
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no children, but I started at 13 and likely would have started earlier if I'd had chance. I began GMing at 14.
jeff
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no kids, but I'm working on my grandnephew.
Lord Skudley
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Kids in Gaming Reply with quote

I've got three geekilings. I started my daughter out at 10 or 11 and the boys at 8 & 9.

I was just introduced to the gaming world and thought "Hey, my kids would like this!"

Lots of creativity. My daughter (now 23!) would draw and make up stories, my oldest boy (now 20) was always playing make-believe and the youngest (now 19) did, and still does, make up characters and told stories about them (he enjoyed making up the characters so much I had to make character sheets by the gross, our friends say he has Character ADD).

D&D 3.0. My daughter played with me under another GM, she loved it. With the boys I used the box set, and brought in my nephews (there were 5 players in all). My oldest charged a Gelatinous Cube and got 'et up, he then played another character who jumped into a spike pit, then yet another character broke into a weapons shop in front of the city guards... The rest of the group learned what NOT to do by watching him!

The system that they all played the most was Swashbuckling Adventures, I owned a game shop then and this was my first foray into real GMing. We moved on to Deadlands Classic, then Reloaded, Buffy, Shadowrun, D&D 3.5 and now 4. We still play weekly.

Why did you choose that system?
D&D because they wanted to, Swashbuckling Adventures because we wanted something Piratey.

The boys took the box set and almost immediately started GMing. My daughter tried it but stopped playing before she could really get her feet wet.

Did they GM for others?
Yes.

How did you help?
I helped my daughter every time an encounter came up, she preferred to narrate the story, the boys jumped in without my help.

Who were the other players (family, same age friends, genders)?
The cozens, all boys at the same age.

Do they still enjoy RPGs today?
The boys play in my weekly Deadlands/Buffy games, my daughter gave it up shortly after High School.

[What qualities do you see in your child that you think come from playing RPGs?
My daughter still writes and paints. The boys are serious problem solvers and have a complete survival plan for the upcoming Zombie Apocalypse!
USP45
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started in with miniatures when eldest son was 4 (Rackham's excellent AT-43), which led to Savage Worlds currently (he's 6 now).

Need to get girl (3) into it asap because she uttered "If you want me to pee, push start," which is a sure sign she's been playing too many computer games.
Magnus
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I start with kids at work who are 7 years old, been doing that for 5 years. Each year I introduce Pen&Paper RPGs (LARP is very common in DK and all kids know about it since there's a kids show on the national TV about it).

1st grade in DK (the year they turn 7). I tried it out at the school where I work when I was a substitute teacher and the reaction was so positive that it got turned into a subject (on par with other creative subjects like music and art) when I got fully employed.
One of the things I realized about kids today is that they are quick learners when it comes to systems and structures - probably because they have been playing computer games and such from an early age, learning to "figure out the system" quickly.

I originally used Drager og Dæmoner - a Swedish version of RuneQuest translated into Danish. It worked pretty well as soon as they had learned to read a d100, but as soon as I found Savage Worlds I used that instead.
The cards are perfect for kids (and can be used to activate some of the more impatient players) and the bennies are a great help when your dice don't do well. Some kids take bad dice-throws as if the universe is punishing them.
Mostly though, I chose SW to have a system that actually allowed for me to have a fight and still have time left to tell a little story (I usually have around 2 hours per session).

Most of them try GM'ing when they are 9 or 10 - but it has to be said that I often try to prod them to try it out. I sometimes play a PC in games with a kid-GM to try and help out with issues.

Needless to say they mostly play with their friends, but sometimes they need to accept someone they don't usually hang around into their group - and (surprise, surprise) this sometimes leads to new friendships. When that happens, I consider my mission accomplished!

In my five years (with 20 new kids each year) we've had about 2-3 kids continuing playing RPG outside school.
As for the qualities here's a few I usually list for the parents when trying to explain why we do it:
For the youngest:
Basic math skills, social skills, attention training, light reading, expansion of vocabulary.
For the older kids:
Understanding odds and systems, more social skills, reading English words (they start with English in 3rd grade) and later texts, understanding genres and story-telling tools in general, learning how to research all sorts of funny things ("you want to play a Ninja? Go find out about Ninjas").

IMHO roleplaying (both LARP and P&P) should be creative subjects on all schools - call it "interactive storytelling" if Roleplaying is too loaded (as I know it is in some countries).

Magnus
MCO59
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Kids in Gaming Reply with quote

Here's my story:

My son was 12, my daughter was 10.

Our adult group plays a weekly game at my house, and they witnessed parts of sessions. My daughter was immedialtely fascinated by the stories, my son loved the game aspect. Once they showed real interest, I offered them a chance to play in their own game.

Daughter loves to tell stories, and has a vivid imagination. My son just loves games of all types.

What was the RPG system, and how did the first session go? Why did you choose that system?
We started with True20 Fantasy - we had just started playing it in the adult group as a less time consuming alternative to D&D, and I figured the kids could handle it without problems. I was right - learning the mechanics were no problem for them. The first session was pretty boring for me and the wife, but the kids quite enjoyed it. Even though I was careful not to make it too grim, my daughter was quite tentative and very protective of her character.

We switched the kids game to SW when the adults switched. The flexibility is a great help in keeping up with their rather fickle genre tastes. The group expanded to include friends of both son and daughter, with me running a bi-weekly SW games for anywhere from 3 to 7 now teenaged players. Their playing styles are actually pretty cliched - the girls want to talk to everybody and socialize, the boys want to kill stuff.

My son played for about 3 years before he wanted to GM, and that was because he and his friends deperately wanted to play Necropolis but I didn't have the time to run it (the girls had no interest, although my daughter ended up joining that game). My daughter has trotted out some ideas, but has not gone much past the idea stage with GMing.

My son runs a bi-weekly Necropolis game for his friends, my daughter, and me. My assistance is limited to rules help, although I do also let him use my SW bennies and card decks, as well as my cardboard minis.

Do they still enjoy RPGs today? What do they play?
My son, now almost 16, has joined the adult group, and is still running the Necropolis game. My daughter will probably be invited to play in the adult game next year when she turns 14. They both still play and have a good time, but my son has the hard core approach that signals a long involvement with RPGs, while I suspect mt daugher will set it aside as she gets older.

What qualities do you see in your child that you think come from playing RPGs?
My daughter has had a lot of opportunities to indulge her desire to tell stories, and has been motivated to actively pursue writing at least partially from the satisfaction of watching the stories unfold in the RPGs.
My son has learned how to plan, organize, and prepare presentations, how to keep a schedule and manage his work. If only he would apply those skills to his school work! He has an anxiety disorder, so role-playing has been a great help to him in gaining social experience and exposing him to some practical problem solving.
JoeGun
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Son was 3. I was running an online game for my friends which I wrote a web site for handling the combat and such using the Palladium ruleset. Anyway long story short those rules were a bit too much to try and run online during our lunch break so we needed something for Fast and Furious. So I picked up a copy of Savage Worlds and was hooked. However to really learn the rules you must do, and before I could introduce it to my online buddies I figured it best to really nail down the rules. So I grabbed my Son and we started going through some basic stuff. Char creation, combat, chase rules, mass combat, ect. I figured it helped me learn the game and if nothing else, it could help him with his math skills. Well he LOVED it. So I pulled in my Daughter (10 at the time) and my sister (20 at the time ) and started a little game. As for qualities before gaming, my son has an awesome imagination, he likes doing voices for his action figures, stuffed animals, ect ( you know the typical kid thing ), but he also has a love for math ( counting, addition, ect ) so he was always counting money, cars, reading books about counting ect. So I thought he would get a kick out of counting dice. Turns out I was right.

Savage Worlds was the system. And the first "real" session was awesome. It was a 30s pulp setting where he was a gunslinger that protected his sister ( a hogwarts wizard paying off her student loans by acquiring mystic artifacts for the museum ), along with the help of a shady vampire ( actually a superhuman with boost/lower trait, and a delusion that she was a "twilight" vampire ). Anyway the session rocked. Turns out that my son was the heavy hitter of the group, saving them countless times with his two-fisted, dual pistol shooting. He is also a natural at Acing the die rolls! I chose the system to learn the rules.

He is only 4 so he hasn't asked to GM just yet Smile

N/A.....yet!

Yes. He is constantly asking to play "Dice". As a matter of fact, he has now roped in my neices and nephews to play as well, so now I need to get a whole kids adventure arc going for kids ranging from 4-12 in age range. Should be good times!
Lord Inar
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muse wrote:
Lord Inar, you beat me to it! (I posted the topic and then had to reply during today's trumpet lesson).

I hope you get a chance to answer the other questions. I'd love to know what program at school has him running a D&D game!

He does it during lunch on the one day he goes to a public homeschool program.
Best Internet page ever
Sadric
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

USP45 wrote:

Need to get girl (3) into it asap because she uttered "If you want me to pee, push start," which is a sure sign she's been playing too many computer games.

Oh, how cute.
My daughter only utter " 'm your fathe'!" if she see darth vader, or yoda, or any guy with laserswords. And if she played with the swords of my older son she makes lasersword-noises. The laser sword noises we solved with a visit at a historical fair with knight fighting.

My son started playing with my miniatures (many of the miniatures are disabled veterans from this time) and worldworksgames paper dungeons.
I guess he was around 5 or 6, but it wasnt roleplaying. It was more building the cave of the lich king, putting many cool features in, many cool monsters and invite the paladin and his gang to a teaparty.
"hello, Mr Lichking, nice home you have there....".

I guess arround 8 years old we introduce more serious roleplaing, small encounters, without much story, three-room dungeons and such things.
Only as he was around 10-11 I try real roleplaying. Sometimes one or two his friends stay overnight, and this are playing times. First with Slipstream, but as all three are great StarWars Fans we started playing StarWars Saga ed. Of course all play Jedis. Smile

After the first games of StarWars Saga they asked if we couldnt play it with the rules of slistream, because all the math and rules are so complicated. Smile

Once my son gmed for one of his friends a short fantasy game-sort of a three room dungeon with undeads.
I know that his friend stay overnight while I was gaming with my regular group.
I had prepared the adventure description with old style read aloud flavor text, description and rule hints. He enjoyed it, Im not sure his friend enjoyed it so much. Smile

For me its very ardous to play with them. They constantly joke and bickering, play greedy, psychopathic Jedis that ignore the plot. I guess I played in a similiar style in this age. Smile

I dont see any qualities coming from rpg (we dont play so often, once a month or so) but if we have overnight guests roleplaing is the only way to stop them from computer playing. Smile
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww! You guys make me wanna go out and get a kid just so I could teach 'em to game! Laughing

SteveN
Muse
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The computer gaming is a sore spot for any parent, it seems.

We have netbooks for our kids (they've simply never asked for a gaming system) and that alone is hard to kick them off of. But at least 2 netbooks and 2 kids mean they've moved away from playing on the computer when friends are over--I guess it was too difficult to be fair to everyone. (:bwa ha ha:)

@Sadric, I don't know how old your son is now, but your comments about them bickering and joking came home to me. It really is like reigning in cats sometimes at the table, with siblings picking on each other, and they want to hack and slash more than roleplay. Maybe everyone goes through a "munchkin" phase. Smile

@MCO59, your mention of your son's anxiety disorder struck a chord with me. Counselors use roleplaying a lot and I can see where it could help your son with social experiences and in being a good project manager. I think it will help him with attacking his schoolwork, especially in college, when he'll be on his own more.

@Magnus, your experience is legendary in this realm! Thank you for your feedback. Do you have brochures or a website for your school? I did approach the elementary school Principal with an afterschool RPG club, but haven't heard back on it. I doubt it will happen. See, the schools have cut back on funding so much that drama was cut entirely this year. I offered to help lead a drama club, but was told the clubs would be during the school day, and only for like 1/2 an hour a week. Good grief. Plus it has to be teacher-led, so I'm giving up on it for now. I can't think of a single teacher who wants to add that to their already heavy workload. Our kids are in a public school and it works well for them, but sometimes I wish I could do the homeschool thing (like Lord Inar) or the magnet/Montessori school, just to give them more exposure to these sorts of things. Then I remember how glad I am to have them gone for the day and how involved we already are in creative culture!

There is so much more I want to say, but I gotta go (and this post is long enough). Thanks for all the feedback, y'all!

(And Snate, go forth and procreate! ...when the time is right for you to do so. We could use more gamer kids in the world!) Razz
Magnus
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muse wrote:
(snip)
@Magnus, your experience is legendary in this realm! Thank you for your feedback. Do you have brochures or a website for your school? I did approach the elementary school Principal with an afterschool RPG club, but haven't heard back on it. I doubt it will happen. See, the schools have cut back on funding so much that drama was cut entirely this year. I offered to help lead a drama club, but was told the clubs would be during the school day, and only for like 1/2 an hour a week. Good grief. Plus it has to be teacher-led, so I'm giving up on it for now. I can't think of a single teacher who wants to add that to their already heavy workload. Our kids are in a public school and it works well for them, but sometimes I wish I could do the homeschool thing (like Lord Inar) or the magnet/Montessori school, just to give them more exposure to these sorts of things. Then I remember how glad I am to have them gone for the day and how involved we already are in creative culture!

There is so much more I want to say, but I gotta go (and this post is long enough). Thanks for all the feedback, y'all!

(And Snate, go forth and procreate! ...when the time is right for you to do so. We could use more gamer kids in the world!) Razz

Thanks, Jodi Smile

Question How can they have only 1/2 hour clubs of anything?

My school's home page is Amagerlilleskole.dk but I don't have a detailed description of the RPGs I do on it. It's just mentioned alongside all the other creative subjects such as music, ceramics, art, textiles, etc., etc. But actually I should do something like a brochure - just to have an easy way to explain the benefits of P&P RPG to curious parents.

Public schools here in DK are cutting back on creative subjects too, trying to cram more "hard" subjects into the kids. Interestingly, our "creative and holistic" private school, with all its emphasis on creative subjects, is still the 16th best in Copenhagen when it comes grades, ahead of all the public schools, and we even beat some of the private schools with a strong focus on pure "book learning".

We all learn differently, but I'm convinced kids learn best when they are having fun. I wonder if Nature is trying to tell us something since kids spend so much time playing early in life... Wink

Have fun and learn,
Magnus

PS: Slightly related I just participated in a LARP arranged by another history teacher which took place in a reconstructed midieval village. I'm not normally a LARP'er, but I'm SO going to try that out on my 6th grade history class.
Sadric
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muse wrote:

@Sadric, I don't know how old your son is now, but your comments about them bickering and joking came home to me. It really is like reigning in cats sometimes at the table, with siblings picking on each other, and they want to hack and slash more than roleplay. Maybe everyone goes through a "munchkin" phase. Smile

Sometimes playing with tem is like wade trough honey.
A great problem is allways the "you could do/own/buy anything imaginable" Thing.

A tense scenenegotiating with some Hut crime lord.....Suddenly one of them ask.
"Could I have a dynamit-stick
/brass knuckles/
a own starfighter/
trigger order 66?"

Then all burst out that they like to have the same
/better one/
try to stop him/
try to support him.

Then I have to tell them that they have to refocus on the game/
tell them that they have termaldetonators listed on their sheets-way better then dynamit/
they could simply buy brass knuckles-but laserswords are way cooler/
the jedi-order gives them anything they need for the next mission but they have to give it BACK after the mission/
Theoretical they could trigger order 66 but they dont know about Order66 now and would need a Great Sheme to create their own clone army/get archcancelor or whatever and they need to tell me this sheme (No, I become archcancelor isnt enough!)
And now FOCUS on the game!!

Laughing

The other problem is more like
Player A does something stupid, like firing on some buidling without reason.
I tell him what is happening because of this-enraged, armed inhabitants would stream out of the buildings.
Player A asks Player B+C to help him.
Player B+C says that its his fault, so he had to deal with it himself.
Player A start threatening/shooting B+C ingame, sometimes on the verge of tears.
I tell all of them that there was no reason to fire on the huts, so he didnt do it anyway, or?
We continue playing.
Mix A, B, C and repeat.
Laughing

But I really have fun with them, only directly after the game I often ask myself if I ever like to play again with them. Wink

BTW they are 11-12 years old. And all of their Jedi PCs own brass knuckles. Wink
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you actually have any hair left, or have you ripped it all out?

Oooo, ooo, ooo, I know! "Light Knuckles!"

SteveN
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> The Break Room All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: