Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weird-Wars-Appropriate Minis from Reaper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Weird-Wars-Appropriate Minis from Reaper Reply with quote

I thought I'd compile a list of miniatures that seem to obviously fit the Weird Wars settings released so far from Reaper (since it's so swell of them to provide us with official Savage Worlds minis and all).

There are a great number of monsters that would fit in this setting that overlap with others, so I'm arbitrarily focusing on things that seem to particularly fit into the general time period covered in Weird Wars so far. (You can always throw in generic zombies, naked werewolves, etc., and they'll work just fine, but those could work just as well for Deadlands, fantasy, or modern horror settings.)

WWI British Armed Forces:
* 50271 - World War I Doughboy

WWI Japanese Armed Forces:
* 50036 - Saburo Aritomo, Meiji Japanese Officer
(Disclaimer: The Meiji period actually ended before World War I -- thank you, Wikipedia! -- but it's the closest we've got in the Reaper line.)

WWII Nazi Weird Science:
* 50018 - Crosswire, Super Villain
* 50031 - Ape-X, Super Villain
* 50046 - Dr. Ervin Friedman, Mad Scientist
* 50061 - Professor L.T. Froschmeister, Scientist
* 50092 - Lab Mutant
* 50104 - Jackhammer, Supervillain

WWII Nazi Zombies:
Note: For some reason "Kroid" seems to be code-word for "Nazi zombie" in many of these sets.
* 37001 - Kroid Officer (SMG and pistol)
* 37002 - Kroid Infantry (with rifle)
* 37003 - Kroid Sniper
* 37004 - Kroid NCO w/Sub-machine Gun
* 37005 - Kroid Machine Gunner
* 37006 - Kroid Infantry Pack (3) (3x #37002 pose)
* 50117 - Aldorf Hinzler, Zombie German Leader
* 50020 - Zombie German Soldiers (3) (#37002, #37005, and a modification of #37001 as infantry)
* 50221 - Nazi Zombie Officer

WWII Soviet Armed Forces:
* 50226 - Ivanetta Kozlov, Russian Sniper

WWII US Armed Forces:
* 37007 - American Infantry
* 37008 - American Sniper
* 37009 - American NCO with Tommy Gun
* 37010 - American Machine Gunner
* 37011 - American Infantry (3-pack)
* 37012 - Sergeant Mack Torrey
* 37013 - Corporal Mike Dana
* 37014 - Pvt Bob Hanks
* 37015 - Pvt Max Dansworth
* 37016 - Pvt Tim Hernandez
* 50075 - WWII American Infantry (3-pack)
* 50147 - General Drake

WWII Medical Staff:
* 50232: Karla, Anime Heroine (nurse with slightly anachronistic guns)
* 50257: Doctor Thomas Welby
* 50258: Nurse Anne Foster

WWII Civilians:
* 50086: Moroccan Merchant
* 50090: Townsfolk: Jock, Chick, Nerd
* 50235: Edna, Crazy Cat Lady

WWII & Cold War Spies/Resistance/Agents:
* 50008 - Jack Harrison, Adventuring Hero
* 50009 - Chang, Honolulu Investigator
* 50019 - Ned Lewinsky, Mad Bomber
* 50051 - Max Decker, Private Eye
* 50093 - Dr. Unsinn, Evil Mastermind
* 50010 - Daniel Sterling, Secret Agent of GUARD
* 50108 - Achmed, Terrorist
* 50118 - Gretchen, Oktoberfest Fraulein
* 50143 - Agatha Fox, Female Spy
* 50148 - Astrid Berger, Female Spy
* 50152 - Oyuki, Geisha
* 50056 - Carmine Defazio, Mob Hitman
* 50158 - Grant Dylan, Heroic Pilot
* 50159 - Sister Maria, Nun
* 50217 - The Black Mist
* 50260 - Xiufang, Femme Fatale

Vietnam (Tour of Darkness):
* 50100 - Viet Cong Guerilla

Weapons & Gear:
* 50030: 20th Century Weapons
* 50098: Modern Adventuring Accessories
* 50234: Weapons Pack III (flamethrower, bazooka, weird-science tommy gun, weird-science rifle/shotgun)

Last edited by Jordan Peacock on Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
tonyngc
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Russian sniper is in the correct uniform and has the correct weapon for a WWII sniper.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The historical reference for the Russian sniper might be Klavdiya Kalugina, one of the youngest Soviet female snipers (age 17 at the start of her military service in 1943)

Just say it was the hot months in Stalengrad and she took her jacket off and is wearing like a wooly pulley sweater. Also i think some units still had a BDU shirt that was still made in the old style from ww1 like Russian peasant shits with the off set placket.

And add a bigger rifle like a PTRD anti tank weapon they would use to snipe through sand bags and other light cover

Last edited by VonDan on Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:25 pm; edited 3 times in total
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I've removed the disclaimer regarding time period on the Russian sniper.
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaper Chronoscope #50117 - Aldorf Hinzler, Zombie German Leader

I modified this miniature a bit, as the original had "noodle guts" spewing out of the belly area that I thought were a bit silly-looking -- so I whittled those down, settling for a more vague messy patch there that I think still gets the idea across. I added the ruined wall section by chopping up pieces of plastic sprue and shaving them into block shapes, then stacking them and gluing them into place. I used a round 25mm disc base instead of the 30mm plastic slotted base that comes with the original miniature, since the rest of my "Reich of the Dead" minis were on 25mm bases.

By the way, it looks like things are moving forward with Reaper's "Reich of the Dead" setting, so there may be more WWII + zombies minis to come. Here's a sample of some new art commissioned for the setting, on a Facebook post: (link)
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool mini. Love the kilroy was here on the wall.
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DHRDawg wrote:
Cool mini. Love the kilroy was here on the wall.

Thanks! The first time I'd heard of the "Kilroy Was Here" graffiti was from a WWII veteran who went to my parents' church. He had lots of tame stories to tell about his time during the war -- just nothing having to do with fighting and such. One thing that stuck in my mind was how he would see this graffiti that looked like a guy peering over a wall (his version has three "hairs" on the head, though the usual version I've seen since then is bald), and sometimes he'd see "Kilroy was here" written on a wall ... and at some point they got put together, and he'd see both.

I also finished up another figure today -- this one as an Allied commander for my anti-zombie forces.

Reaper Chronoscope #50147 - General Drake

Also, on that Facebook thread with the Reich of the Dead concept art, it was mentioned that some of the characters in the art may make their way as new miniatures: the "Butcher" (a Frankenstein's-monster sort of fellow with mechanical parts and lots of stitches), a gas-masked Nazi zombie with some sort of gas/chemical-blower weapon, and a female officer type (living? undead? I'm not sure) with a pair of wolves on chains.
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that Reaper WW2 art looks sweet. Gotta get me those figures when they come out.
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaper Chronoscope #50120 - Sgt Mack Torrey

A nice "Sgt. Rock" sort of hero from the Chronoscope line. I figure I'll use him for "Weird War II" and with Reaper's own "Reich of the Dead," but one thing I noticed right away is that the Chronoscope minis are a bit taller than the original "Reich of the Dead" miniatures. Sgt. Mack Torrey and General Drake stand noticeably taller than the US Infantry and German Zombie miniatures presently relocated to the Chronoscope line. I suppose that's all right by the idea that "heroes" should stand tall compared to "ordinary" characters, but it makes it a little more problematic if I want to build up a PC group.

But then, as I discovered during my last Weird War scenario, it's a bit problematic when all the PC miniatures look very similar because they're wearing the same uniform. I've been tempted to try something like color-coding base rims to make PC miniatures stand out, though that would be at the cost of flexibility in representation. Perhaps I just need to do something flashy with the "hero" miniatures to make them stand out in some way. At least Sgt. Mack Torrey and General Drake don't suffer that problem. (If I were to use Drake for a PC, however, I might "demote" him a bit, since typical PC adventures wouldn't have much room for a general out in the field.)
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaper Chronoscope #50148 - Astrid Berger, Spy:

I actually originally picked up this miniature for use in a zombie-apocalypse game, as she's one of the better-dressed of Reaper's modern (or near-modern) female characters. I think she makes a more convincing spy/operative than "Agatha Fox," but then I could just be biased toward the trench-coat.

Reaper Chronoscope/ROTD #50075 - WWII American Infantry

These miniatures were originally released as blisters under Reaper's "Reich of the Dead" line, but they've since been re-released under the Chronoscope line.  

As with the other ROTD minis, they're closer to conventional 28mm heroic scale (that is, around or a little taller than 28mm as measured from base of feet to the eyes) than most of the Chronoscope minis (as General Drake and Sgt Mack Torrey are closer to 31mm from base-of-feet to the eyes, and hence noticeably taller than the infantry and Kroid zombies).  I guess these would work best as "Extras," compared to "Wild Cards" such as Sgt Torrey or Gen Drake ... but I'd need some more "Wild-Card-appropriate" minis to fill out a decent PC group.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: