Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[HoER] Currency and roleplaying

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yondalor
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: [HoER] Currency and roleplaying Reply with quote

I was thinking about barter in the Wasted West the other day, and it occurred to me that roleplaying it might be a bit difficult. When you're buying a pistol from a merchant, what do you think he'd say? He can't really say "That'll be a 150 dollars" since money has no value anymore, and metagaming it like "You haggle for a moment and he acccepts your offer of salvage worth of 150 dollars" doesn't sound good either.

What would you suggest in a situation like this?
Erpegis
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my games players had to describe what items they used as "change". It varied from candy and plant seeds to spare parts and tools. So we used to say:

"I'll change this bag of beans, three music CDs and a working RAM stick for a gun".
"Beans and music are okay, but no one here has a working computer! Change the RAM for that fancy jewlery you wear and we have a deal"
Yondalor
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good one, but doesn't it slow down the game when you're trying to name all the stuff you're bartering away?
Enno
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just write down "trade goods: 50$". What they exactly are is of minor importance. In my groups describing said goods is just fluff.
Clash957
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always used a bullet based economy for the Wasted West. Anyone that has anything worth trading is either going to have or want bullets/shotgun shells. They're relatively portable and resistant to harsh conditions. They also gave the players a good idea how valuable bullets were after the bombs fell. They knew they weren't going to just find crates of them, and since this was also their spending cash even the richest brainer wasn't about to go full-auto with a assault shotgun unless they were really in trouble. I also found it cut down on bookkeeping by combining the money and ammo.

And it gives new meaning to, "trading bullets."

I just went with the cost of bullets in the book as the currency. It was something like this:

$1 for small caliber
$2-3 for large caliber
$5 for shotgun shells
$10 for a pistol magazine full/Armor Piercing
$up to 50 for special ammo types/sizes
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yondalor wrote:
That's a good one, but doesn't it slow down the game when you're trying to name all the stuff you're bartering away?

That's the trade off you requested. The game will run more slowly when you do these kinds of immersion, but the increased enjoyment usually makes up for losses.

If you want fast, roll a few dice and declare how the session went; the whole process should take about ten minutes. If you want fun, you usually have to take the times to give real details. Cool
Yondalor
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, thanks for the advice guys. I'll think about it. Smile
Ray
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the group. My own group is still a little upset that they now have to take calibers and bullets into consideration rather than keeping them abstract. (I'm the only gun nut in the group.). My old group didn't have that problem, and usually handled the haggling "Issue" by attributing a few items to a set price and using those frequently (Typically, this was food and bullets, with a roll of toilet paper being the "$100 Bill".).

Some players would love the "Give-And-Take" of a bartering session over stuff, others just will go, "Give me the money/caps/bullets/fish, whatever."

Tailor to your group so everyone has the most fun. Smile
ScooterinAB
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "just call it trade goods" thing never sat right with me. I like how it's done in Reloaded, where you can go into your cash to directly and retroactively "find" a piece of equipment. This deals with commerce both directly and indirectly, where the Marshal can ask for a specific item as trade, and the player can then "find" something from their cash pool in equivalent value and barter with that.
Yondalor
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've been testing the system out in-game, and it seems to work out. I'll mention some stuff the PCs get in trade, like "He agrees to your deal, giving you a can of shaving foam, a pocket mirror and some matches." It doesn't matter exactly how much stuff the players are carrying. Some things can be really valuable in the Wasted West, even though they're small.

And if the players go "Hey, I got that mirror from that merchant", I can just make them roll to find in in their bags. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: