Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Let's Talk Deadlands Comics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Comics & Graphic Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Deadlands Comic was your favorite?
Devil's Six Gun
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Massacre at Red Wing
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Death Was Silent
50%
 50%  [ 6 ]
Black Water
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The Kid
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 12

CEdwardSellner
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Let's Talk Deadlands Comics Reply with quote

Howdy partners. C. Edward Sellner CCO of Visionary Comics here!Sorry it took so long for me to saddle up to the forum, but this whole making comics thing has been pretty crazy!

Anyway, I'm thrilled to see the positive response so far! Overall it seems like folks like what we're doing. I will be a regular from this point on so we can talk about what has been, what's coming etc. and hopefully get some great dialogue going.

Give me some time to learn how to use the forum (I'm not a big poster on message boards or forums in general), but I am very much looking to spend more quality time with Deadlands fans!

I want to thank the Pinnacle posse for making us feel so welcome and supporting us 200%, its a fun world to work in.

If you've enjoyed what's already come, you should get REAL excited about what's coming next! We've just been feeling our way into the world of Deadlands, now, we're getting ready to take it to the next level!
CEdwardSellner
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: By the way... Reply with quote

Other threads here have announced the deluxe digital editions of our first five-one shots. You can buy them right now direct from Pinnacle...
http://www.peginc.com/product-category/visionary/
or from Drive-Thru...
http://comics.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?keywords=deadlands&manufacturers_id=2552&x=0&y=0&author=&artist=&pfrom=&pto=

You can learn more about Visionary in general at our main site...
http://visionarycomics.com/
TommyBrownell
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed all of them (with Massacre at Red Wing probably being the one I liked the least), but Death Was Silent was just fantastic (and rightfully so, given the talents of Marz and Sears).
CEdwardSellner
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we started we decided we wanted to launch with four one-shots, all by top talent in the industry, to show the richness of the Deadlands world, that it wasn't just Walking Dead in the old west, but something with myth, magic, madness and mayhem!

It was great because we lined up the best in the business and they each gave their own unique take on the world of Deadlands. Each of those books were clearly in the same world, but each had their own feel and style. So, not surprised that some resonate better than other with certain fans. But each has had their following, which is good to hear.

Thanks man!
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the Devil's Six Gun because it really captured the Deadlands theme that there is a price for power. It sounded like many of the tragic tales we've read in the books about the servitors and such. I also really liked them including the stats for the gun!

Massacre at Red Wing I liked the least of the bunch. Although the concept of Raven having a daughter was interesting, there was just too much fighting and cheesecake and not enough reason for me to get invested in the story. It was also a much shorter read than Devil's Six Gun and I had a big "that's it?!?" moment when I finished.

Death Was Silent was fantastic! Loved the character and the setup. I personally don't really like the concept of plant people (reminds me of a few too many B-movies), but nonetheless, it was probably the best story of the bunch.

Black Water was a good story, but not particularly memorable in my mind. It did a great job of capturing the feel of The Maze, but with so many of the background characters dying, I felt like it was hard to really care about anyone. It was above Massacre at Red Wing for me, but below the other two.

I think that The Kid didn't really work for me because it was split up between issues and I felt like there was a big disjoint between parts. For instance, I was surprised that The Kid wound up in prison in the second part because after the first part, I thought he would have been a hero for shooting the werewolf. The ending wasn't what I was expecting either and, while fitting, I felt like it came out of left field for me because I'd largely forgotten about the stuff that was in the issue I'd read 6 months ago.

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
CEdwardSellner
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunder,
Glad you enjoyed a couple of the books, and sorry the others didn't hold up as well as you would have liked. We definitely wanted to introduce the KID from the get go, to set him up for more, but there are some challenges to doing a back up series in 5-page chapters.

Now that we've got our feet under us, hope you like what's coming even more.
CEdwardSellner
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: BTW Reply with quote

Thunder, I forgot to add, for what it's worth if it clears any of your confusion...

The reason the Kid was arrested was because once it became obvious a shootout was going to happen, no one really tried to meet eyes with Harringer, then it was over so fast, and he was dead on the floor, where he reverted to his human form. So, while Belle and Billy know what they saw, the other 'witnesses' refuse to accept what they think they saw, or didn't see the change at all. So, Billy got locked up for shooting a man.

Hope that helps a little.
CEdwardSellner
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: The Second Wave Reply with quote

Folks, we're counting down the days to fully announcing our second wave. If you've purchased our digital comics you already know some of what we have planned, and we'll let the cat out of the bag fully online here soon.

In the meantime, I'd love to hear from all you fans what you'd like to see in the Deadlands comics, let me know.
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see a Ronan Lynch story. There was Deadlands: One Shot a long time ago (by a different publisher, I think), and I'd love to see him and a few of his companions revisited in a story with the same tone as these comics.

I'd also like a story involving the rail companies. They're a big part of Deadlands that haven't been addressed yet. I could easily imagine a story about some Union Blue rail workers who run into the Wichita Witches from Black River, for instance.

And maybe it's just me, but I'd also like to see things from the point of view of a soldier in the Civil War who fought at the Battle of Gettysburg (the first thing that got affected when the Reckoning happened). Things were bad before Gettysburg and after Gettysburg they've gone insane. You could do it from the point of view of Hank "One Eye" Ketchum, the Texas Ranger (whose background at Gettysburg was revealed in Independence Day) or through someone else, perhaps someone on the other side of the war.

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
CEdwardSellner
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some cool thoughts. Part of what I love about Deadlands, so much to delve into!
Boldfist
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Death Was Silent was my favorite with the Devil's Six Gun a close second. I too enjoyed the stats at the back of the book!
CEdwardSellner
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll be doing more of the game stats. We've got new stuff for the trade.
So, yes, that is one reason to order our exclusive edition of the trade, it will include new gaming stats, and those two short stories written by none other than Shane Hensley and Matt Cutter!

Glad you found your favorites Boldfist! Hopefully the new stuff will be as good as those.
Seeker of Truth
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved Massacre at Red Wing. The classic spaghetti Western tale of vengeance, as well as an amazing new character linked to the Reckoners! Perfect.

I did have a question about the trade of Dead Man's Hand. Money being tight right now (saving for my wedding) I was curious if a digital version of this, with the added material will ever be released?
CEdwardSellner
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Trade in Digital? Reply with quote

Seeker,
There aren't any current plans to release the trade in digital. We're really trying to move to a model of releasing floppies in digital, and keep the collections in print, so we obviously want to try and set aside some exclusive stuff for the folks who make that jump.

However, all the Visionary digital editions include the sketch book included in the trade, and you can get any of those for $1.50, and if you haven't checked our Raven Kickstarter, one of the freebies we announced was a PDF of Matthew Cutter's short story from the Trade for ALL supporters, meaning a few bucks there and you get hooked up. All that means the ONLY thing missing at that point would be the expanded game stats, and the snazzy cover. Smile

Hope that helps. Congrats on getting married! Hope that goes fantastic for you! Also, if it's any help, we do plan to release the trade into the mainstream comics market later this year, or next year with a new publishing partner, giving folks who missed it this time around a fair shot.
Seeker of Truth
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm wishes. I was really hoping to get my hands on al of the material, especially the gaming stats, but oh well. Now since Raven is being released as a trade only, will it be released on Comixology?
CEdwardSellner
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Raven Schedule Reply with quote

Seeker,
Raven will actually have four rounds of being released...

We will release digital issues 1-4 as they are completed and sent exclusively to the KickStarter supporters. That should be November, December, January and February.

The print trade collection will then ship exclusively to our supporters in March.

We will then release Raven into the digital market sometime by summer 2013, but NOT through Comixology. They will be on Drive-Thru and Comics+, as well as Ave Comics and Panelfy (the last three are all free apps for your phone).

Then the Raven trade will be released into the direct market Fall 2013 or early 2014.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Comics & Graphic Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: