Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

adept edge + damage field = overpowered?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingofsouls
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: adept edge + damage field = overpowered? Reply with quote

Okay, my chafracter is a sun cleric who has a Strength of d6 and Ambidextrous/ Two fisted edges along with AB (Mircales) and Adept edges.

During character creation i took Smite (fire trapping) and damage field (fire trapping). My reasoning being is that since I was young i needed to specialize.

Cut to right now. I pop a DF on me when fighting a giant spider to break out of the web I'm in. Next turn, i attack with both fists. MY GM says that my attack is Str + d4. I say my attack is Str + d4 + 2d6.

My reasoning:
My character is a glass cannon: d6 vigor and d6 strength means I need any damage buffers i can take. Usually i use smite since I turned into a FA but i digress. And the fact that I am using my fists (note: unarmed) means i get to use the 2d6's when i hit was well as being hit unarmed. AND i can put this on others, unlike my smite due to it beign a free action.

GM's reasoning:
3d6+d4 twice a turn if i land two hits is unfair in his eyes. Also, he considered me armed due to my Adept edge. And the fact is that I have Smite and can use that.

And he took away one of my bennies because "I was rules lawyering him" Not my fault he made my spell useless.

So, who's right? Me, or him?

Not that this matters really...his game.

-clarification-
Silly me, i think I left a few tidbits out huh?

*GM gave us 20 XP to start. Thus, i was able to take the spell
*We were also using the Exploers edition, and thus Adept did not have that requirement.

again, thank you

Last edited by kingofsouls on Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: adept edge + damage field = overpowered? Reply with quote

kingofsouls wrote:
Okay, my chafracter is a sun cleric who has a Strength of d6 and Ambidextrous/ Two fisted edges along with AB (Mircales) and Adept edges.

During character creation i took Smite (fire trapping) and damage field (fire trapping). My reasoning being is that since I was young i needed to specialize.

Cut to right now. I pop a DF on me when fighting a giant spider to break out of the web I'm in. Next turn, i attack with both fists. MY GM says that my attack is Str + d4. I say my attack is Str + d4 + 2d6.

My reasoning:
My character is a glass cannon: d6 vigor and d6 strength means I need any damage buffers i can take. Usually i use smite since I turned into a FA but i digress. And the fact that I am using my fists (note: unarmed) means i get to use the 2d6's when i hit was well as being hit unarmed. AND i can put this on others, unlike my smite due to it beign a free action.

GM's reasoning:
3d6+d4 twice a turn if i land two hits is unfair in his eyes. Also, he considered me armed due to my Adept edge. And the fact is that I have Smite and can use that.

And he took away one of my bennies because "I was rules lawyering him" Not my fault he made my spell useless.

So, who's right? Me, or him?

Going by the core rules, it doesn't appear that either person is 100% correct here.

First, let's look at the Edges. It's mentioned that the character is young and "at character creation" he took Smite and Damage Field, but Damage Field is a Seasoned Rank power. It would not be available to a Novice Rank starting character.

It's also mentioned that he has Adept, but not that he has Martial Artist which is a requirement to get Adept by the core rules now (check the errata if you don't have the updated PDF or SWDEX).

So the character should have spent 2 Edges to be able to attack with each hand at no penalty.
He also should have spent 2 Edges to get Damage Field (Arcane Background and New Power after reaching Seasoned Rank).
He had to spend 1 Edge to add +1d4 to his unarmed damage (Martial Artist).

So after those 5 Edges, if he spends an action, makes a skill roll, and uses 4 PPs, he would indeed be able to make a melee attack with each hand for Str+2d6+1d4 damage.

He would be at a -2 penalty to activate and attack in the first round (for the multi-action of casting while attacking), and at no penalty or cost for 2 rounds, and after that have to spend 2 PPs per round to maintain the power (with a -1 to any further casting).

Hope that clarifies the core rules, but as noted, the GM can adjust based on the specific setting or game.

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: