Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reapers Kickstarter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Dread Polack
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been working in warehousing for a while now, and that is absolutely true. Once a business has it worked out how much shipping they typically do, they settle into a crew and schedule to accomodate that. When surprise large orders come in, or when a sale gets more response than expected, that's when things get delayed. I worked as a temp in a large medical supplies warehouse that was closing in a year. There were 100+ of us when I started, about 120+ during "fiscal quarter end", and there were about 10 of us with barely anything to do on the day it closed.

I'm not sure what Reaper's warehouse looks like, but calling up the local industrial temp service and asking for a couple dozen order pickers, and telling FedEx to send over 2 trucks a day for the next couple weeks isn't at all a hard thing to make happen. When you consider that the vast majority of this is identical Vampire-level packages, plus odds & ends, I think they can probably do a more a few hundred orders a day. That should take them less than a month.
JackMann
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've also talked about doing it in two waves to help keep the amount of space needed down.

Getting the figures made in time shouldn't be an issue. While Bones is new to Reaper, the factory in China has been working with this equipment for years. Work on this scale is apparently not uncommon for them.

The big bogeyman Reaper has no control over is customs, which could create unexpected delays.

EDIT: Clint, if you like, I could pick up an extra vampire level, and you can toss me the money for it when the figures arrive.
coyote6
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, they are going to be setting up their own pledge manager on their site, as they think the options would be a little too much for the Kickstarter survey system. It sounds like you will be able to use that pledge manager to add even more stuff, and pay via PayPal.
Cryonic
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coyote6 wrote:
For what it's worth, they are going to be setting up their own pledge manager on their site, as they think the options would be a little too much for the Kickstarter survey system. It sounds like you will be able to use that pledge manager to add even more stuff, and pay via PayPal.

From what I saw of their video about it, you can change what you want (in terms of what you've paid for), but can't change your pledge amount to get more. So, while you might have originally bid for the Vampire level and certain options (like the Sophies), but then change your mind and want something else, then you can change the extras to something else, but can't reduce your pledge.

Savage Worlds Tales: http://www.daemonstorm.com/category/Categories/Role-playing/Savage-Worlds
JackMann
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cryonic wrote:
From what I saw of their video about it, you can change what you want (in terms of what you've paid for), but can't change your pledge amount to get more. So, while you might have originally bid for the Vampire level and certain options (like the Sophies), but then change your mind and want something else, then you can change the extras to something else, but can't reduce your pledge.

You can't reduce your pledge, but you can (or will be able to) increase it. The first bit, changing what you're getting, is a non-event, since, aside from your initial level, nothing is technically set. Reaper has no way of knowing what the extra money you pledged was going for until they send out the survey.
Other Mike
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackMann wrote:
Personally, I suspect they'll start to sell more monsters with the Bones line, as they make it a lot more affordable to plunk down a lot of orcs or goblins at once. But we'll see. Nice to know they're thinking this through, though.

That's what I am hoping for. As a GM, I like to have monster minies at the table, but when I need something new, it's getting pretty expensive. I sometimes use cardstock or tokens, but for me, that's not as satisfying.
The Dread Polack
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, I haven't seen anything about being able to increase your contribution, although I have no reason to doubt that is true. I probably won't do this, since I really don't need to spend more than the $250 I already am.

According to the FAQ, if you contributed at the Vampire level, you can also opt to forego your Sophie mini and instead take $25 worth of add-ons. I am not really a Reaper collector (I have no Sophies yet), so I might opt for this. On the other hand, this is a unique Sophie for the Kickstarter event. One day, I can tell my grandkids about it and show them the mini on my shelf; just not the nekkid one, though.
Other Mike
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dread Polack wrote:
So far, I haven't seen anything about being able to increase your contribution, although I have no reason to doubt that is true. I probably won't do this, since I really don't need to spend more than the $250 I already am.

I read it in the email they sent when it finished. Thought it was in the FAQ as well, but not sure about that one. They said you could add to your contribution, but not reduce it.
The Dread Polack
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They just sent out an email clarifying things, and this was mentioned.

Well, I'm excited for March. I hope they are able to ship everything as expected. I'm sure there will be some issues, as there always is.
LittleRedFox
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they now have everything and are beginning the final segment of shipping.

Unfortunately thats 12,000 orders.
The Dread Polack
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but they're flying through them. At this rate, they should be pretty much done at the end of the week. If they're doing them from simplest/smallest to most complex/biggest, then they might slow down toward the end.

Anyway, won't be long now Smile
Other Mike
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got an email a few days ago, that my package is finally shipping. Still waiting. Neutral
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other Mike wrote:
Just got an email a few days ago, that my package is finally shipping. Still waiting. Neutral

Mine took about four days in transit, once they sent my tracking number. I had a "your package is about to ship" message about two days before that.

Not sure if that helps, but have some extra information.
The Dread Polack
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My end of the week prediction was sadly wrong.

I got mine on Monday. It took about 4 days. Hope you have yours now.

So far, of the 300 or so that I got, I have them all sorted, cleaned up, glued together, and boiled. I am planning to get some cheap basing system for a number of them. I'm doing a one-shot of Shaintar in a couple weeks, so I plan to paint up a few for PC usage.

I have some diluted gesso for my airbrush, which I've let dry overnight and I'm going to test tonight. I plan to use it as much as possible on the big dragons and giants I got. I'll put up pics if I manage anything cool Smile
chatterbox
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dread Polack wrote:
So far, of the 300 or so that I got, I have them all sorted, cleaned up, glued together, and boiled.
Wait, what? Boiled? Was this just for some to straighten out bent bits or does this have some other effect?
LittleRedFox
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chatterbox wrote:
The Dread Polack wrote:
So far, of the 300 or so that I got, I have them all sorted, cleaned up, glued together, and boiled.
Wait, what? Boiled? Was this just for some to straighten out bent bits or does this have some other effect?

There have been suggestions that washing or boiling them reduces their tendency to reject certain primers.
The Dread Polack
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRedFox wrote:
chatterbox wrote:
The Dread Polack wrote:

There have been suggestions that washing or boiling them reduces their tendency to reject certain primers.

Specifically, boiling will soften up the material, causing bent or warped pieces to straighten out. Ones that don't straighten themselves in boiling water can be bent into the correct position and the run under cold water to "freeze" them in the new position. This will have varying levels of success.

Washing is different. A light scrubbing in slightly warm water and a little dish detergent will remove any oils from the molding process or from your hands and allow paint to stick better.

As far as primers go- you're not supposed to need them on Bones. The plastic will take paint without primer. However, particularly watery paints will bead up on the plastic, so a high-density paint is best. I actually diluted some gesso with distilled water and sprayed it onto a few minis with my airbrush and that got the paint to adhere a little better, but it's not strictly necessary.
Other Mike
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The water does not need to be boiling ... just very hot. And have a bowl of water with ice cubes in it ready to help "set" the piece.

I had to do this to a number of mine and in general, it worked great. The Owlbears (which are too large to start with) being the exception. Most straightened out in the hot water, with little prodding needed.

In the Reaper forums it says you don't need primer, but that primer does help. Some of the common ones I use for metal miniatures are listed as "don't use," as they don't cure properly, or are not listed at all. Not listed are Testor's primer (I suspect it's a don't use, as Krylon is), or Tamiya primer. So, I want to find some primer before I start painting.

I was also surprised to find that superglue (CA) was the glue of choice for gluing these together. Knowing how CS is supposed to work, I would not have expected it, but it worked very well.
LittleRedFox
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dread Polack wrote:
As far as primers go- you're not supposed to need them on Bones.

Bones are white. Metallic colours go better over black as do some other painting techniques.

Therefore there can be reasons for priming them.

Both Army Painter's Black and Brown have worked on them for me fine.

Some primers don't and some are I am told more likely to work if you wash or have to use hot water to reset their shape.
Other Mike
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the Army primers brush on or spray on? Call me lazy, but I like my primer to be spray on. Smile I tend to prime a large number of miniatures at a time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: