Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[SPC/NE] Feedback on custom power

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Locke
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: [SPC/NE] Feedback on custom power Reply with quote

I'm currently running a Necessary Evil campaign, and I'll be adding a friend who recently moved back into the area to the game. He's had limited exposure to Savage Worlds, but he has a really fun-sounding concept for his character that I'm trying to work out. I've put together a basic idea for how it will work mechanically (specific trappings still need to be detailed), but I was hoping to get a little feedback from the community on my implementation.

Elevator pitch for the character: A teleporter who explodes at the end of his teleports. The downside is that he has a Midas's touch with his teleportation. If he touches another person, there's a chance that they'll teleport away and explode, or that he'll teleport away and explode, or that they'll both teleport together and he'll explode.

My concept:

Teleport with Teleport Other, linked with Explode [10PP]
* The character has the ability to teleport, at will, up to 12" in any direction, and causes a 3d6 damage explosion in a Medium Burst Template at the end of the teleportation.
* For the random teleport on touch, the character must first make a Fighting roll to touch his target. If the touch attack hits, the character makes an opposed Spirit roll. If the character fails, he is teleported 1d12" in a random direction. (I'm thinking of having a critical failure on the Spirit roll teleport him adjacent to his closest teammate. Twisted Evil ) On a success, both the character and his target teleport together to a location of the character's choice. With a raise, the target teleports alone, and the character isn't Shaken by the explosion. Whichever result happens, a 3d6 damage explosion in a Medium Burst Template immediately follows the teleportation, centered on the end location of the teleport.
* Because the "teleport on touch" portion of this power cannot be deactivated, the character doesn't need to spend a round "priming" for the explosion like the Explode power in the SPC.
* The normal modifiers for the component powers can be added to this power, for their listed costs. "Rapid Teleport": Only one explosion may occur per combat round. If the character chooses this modifier, he may specify after which teleportation the explosion occurs. This modifier does not let him teleport multiple targets per turn.

Any thoughts?
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like an interesting concept and a lot of fun. Your point costing of 10pp is certainly bang on. About the only problem I see with this is the elimination of the 1 round primer for the explosion power which is a significant perk. At least the way I read your description, the priming, teleportation and explosion all occur in 1 round; is that correct?

I see where you added the Fighting skill to penalize that perk a bit, but I'm not sure if that's enough. I'm thinking the player should almost need to take some edge to be allowed this, but the problem is that there's no such edge that powerful. Maybe require them to also take Extra Actions (3pp), which is doable for a Novice PC if you're using the Standard Inherent Powers option which should allow them 15pp from the start.

A Fighting roll, followed by an Opposed Spirit and possibly an additional d12 distance roll does seem like quite a few rolls - but hey, it's Supers and you can easily end up with as many rolls in some combat situations for other settings. I'm not quite following you on the significance of not being able to deactivate the "teleport on touch" ability, or why you'd want to enforce that?
Locke
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, kronovan. Adding in Extra Action shouldn't be a problem, and I think it would take care of the priming issue.

As for the "no deactivation," that was actually the player's idea. His character concept is kind of a King Midas, where he never knows whether what he touches will be okay or turn into a teleporting bomb. I was just running with this thread in building the power, using it as a limiting factor to help keep the absence of priming for the explosion in check. But I think that your suggestion of tacking Extra Action onto this power will work pretty well for that.

Now to get my friend to nail down his trappings. Smile
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locke wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, kronovan.

NP and I'm glad I could be of some help.
Quote:
As for the "no deactivation," that was actually the player's idea. His character concept is kind of a King Midas, where he never knows whether what he touches will be okay or turn into a teleporting bomb.

Would that also apply to their party members and allies? If so, then you're players PC should probably also recieve the Quirk major hindrance, which would grant them an additional build point.
Locke
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronovan wrote:
Would that also apply to their party members and allies? If so, then your players PC should probably also receive the Quirk major hindrance, which would grant them an additional build point.

That's a good idea. I'll suggest it to him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: