Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Space: 1889 Red Sands] Who is running this Plot Point?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoFairFights
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: [Space: 1889 Red Sands] Who is running this Plot Point? Reply with quote

Just a quick question to see if anyone else is running this plot point or planning to run it. If you're out there, would you mind making yourself known? I have some questions I'd like to bat your way about what I am seeing in the upcoming adventures and your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
arkcaver
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: [Space: 1889 Red Sands] Who is running this Plot Point? Reply with quote

NoFairFights wrote:
Just a quick question to see if anyone else is running this plot point or planning to run it. If you're out there, would you mind making yourself known? I have some questions I'd like to bat your way about what I am seeing in the upcoming adventures and your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

We're planning on starting it next weekend, although I plan on running them through the On Gossamer Wings adventure from the original Space:1889 first, then start them into the Red Sands plot point.
EvilRoySlade
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently running it for my group, but it's early days yet. Our third play session is scheduled for tomorrow night and we're still on the first Plot Point adventure.
skylion
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having mine with Rippers. I'm working on the 'supernatural' background for Mars, and developing some monsters to go along with it.
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT! My group of adventurers is on a steam ship right now headed to egypt and they are solving a murder mystery.

But what I really want to know is...what about this Kalamir character? I'm not really sure about how to run him. He's underhanded and meant to stick around for a pretty long time. I have a foreign office diplomat and possibly a linguist in the party so...Kalamir poses an interesting obstacle.

Any of you have any thoughts on the matter?

Thanks!
arkcaver
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note: having re-read this after typing it, I realized it is kind of rambling. I hope it makes sense!

Having a linguist could pose some problems. I would definitely suggest that if a PC can understand him that you shouldn't try the mistranslation bit. He is portrayed as a villain who uses subterfuge to reach his goals instead of violence. I see him coming across as the whiny, complaining guy in the bunch, except his whining and complaining isn't just bothersome. Instead it is deliberately done to slowly eroding the confidence others have in the PCs.

Perhaps he should just start this from the beginning, when they meet him in the Princess of Thoth adventure. He could talk about how slow they were to rescue the princess, how meager their "guarding" is compared to the Martian guards they had, how poor their marksmanship is, etc.

When I read the adventures, I figured the idea behind him was for the PCs to mark him down as unpleasant to be around but harmless, not to be marked from early on as an enemy.
AMG503
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to meld the plot point campaing around my players so it suits them better so I've been changing things...havn't gotten to Kalamir yet but as two of my players have characters that have already spent time on Mars I'm assuming they will have some language they can communicate in so the mistranslation idea is out for me.

My take on him at present is hes goign to be the only martian in the kingdom the PC's think as competent and freindly even while he's stabbing them in the back. I think anywhere he goes there'll be at least two royal guardsman that are totally loyal to him that he'll work through to cause trouble so it can't be traced back to him..

For example..in the desert, he'll readily agree and make suggestions to any sensible plan, while one of hi catspaws spreads a rumor that red men can survive twice as long without water as a martian to the other soldiers. And another catspaw will report to the guard captain or princess he heard the characters plotting to get a reward for saving her.

He's not above having something stolen and stuffed into the characters baggage only to be "found" later or even getting an assassisn't to belive the red men have hired him to kill someone only to be foiled by the guard.

If it's done right, he should be making the players relations with the martians hell even while they are thanking him for his efforts.
NoFairFights
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a pretty junior GM, I have been wondering what I'm missing in Kalamir's description...some key point to hang his idea on, but I still can't think of a good way to portray him.

The linguist concept fell through in the party so its less trouble now, but my players are no less willy or trusting for all that.

So what about him? Thinking out loud here, so forgive the scattered thoughts...

First off, he's described as ridiculously short for a Martian right? His ambitions speak of a kind of classic 'little man' personality. He's also clever, has insight into how people work, can be intimidating...has a poisoned dagger.

Knowing my PC's...I just don't see how this little Martian can intimidate them. They are an adventurous lot, but have a healthy dose of fool-hardy too. Maybe he could just make up straight lies to tell the ignorant Red Men about customs and such?

Maybe I could play him as "impressed" by the mighty Red Savages from England? A little bowing and scraping might bring them to see him as toothless and leave him be long enough to allow him to try and backstab them. Too much bowing and scraping might paint him as a target.

Thanks a lot for the cross-talk on this subject. It's nice to be able to pick other people's brains and know that the exchange won't complicate the situation come game time.
NoFairFights
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to get a quick update in, I've been running the RS Plot Point for about 8 weeks. I have a ton of things to relate in a play recap, but I've been to busy just trying to live life and run the game to do a session by session recap. I have kept an outline of the way play goes and will try to post something in the next month or so that will show you how the RS story has been going for our group.
Bill
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will certainly be interested in how it goes for you!
hixton
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Red Sands: Mme Bourgois (Fort Oublie) Reply with quote

Just started running the Red Sands campaign. This is the first Savage Worlds game for me and my players.

My players have mostly completed Fort Oublie, and one is very interested in finding out more about Mme Bourgois/Leone Matthieu. Does anyone have any thoughts about what she might be doing between Fort Oublie and the next plot point where she appears (Kraag Of Killers, I think)?

Presumably she's taking the stuff she obtained from Fort O back to her boss. (Who I think is currently still on Earth). But what does she do from there? I'm tempted to have here discover that the PCs are on her tail, so she will approach the officer (who's a cad, but rather dim) pretending to be the sister of a fellow officer so that she can pump him for information.
hixton
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Interesting historical/geographical point for Fort Oublie Reply with quote

I did a little research on the Libyan/Egyptian border, and I placed Fort Oublie close to Siwa in Egypt and Al Jaghbub in Libya. Prior to the research, I decided that the PCs are at the fort in Late March 1889.

Imagine my surprise when my friend and yours, Wikipedia showed that King Idris of Libya (the only King of Libya, deposed by Ghadaffi) was born in Jaghbub on 12 March 1889. Not sure if I can make use of this, but interesting nontheless.

Also, Siwa is rather interesting in its adventure potential. It has:

• Abandoned ancient fortress
  • Gebel al Mawta: Mountain of the dead. Roman-era necropolis
  • Remains of the Oracle Temple

Again, consult friend Wikipedia for more details.
Bill
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Red Sands: Mme Bourgois (Fort Oublie) Reply with quote

hixton wrote:
Just started running the Red Sands campaign. This is the first Savage Worlds game for me and my players.

My players have mostly completed Fort Oublie, and one is very interested in finding out more about Mme Bourgois/Leone Matthieu. Does anyone have any thoughts about what she might be doing between Fort Oublie and the next plot point where she appears (Kraag Of Killers, I think)?

Presumably she's taking the stuff she obtained from Fort O back to her boss. (Who I think is currently still on Earth). But what does she do from there? I'm tempted to have here discover that the PCs are on her tail, so she will approach the officer (who's a cad, but rather dim) pretending to be the sister of a fellow officer so that she can pump him for information.

They are taking the stuff they found back to their boss but that is back on Mars (page 5Cool. Their exact locations are rarely set in stone until you get to each members special story so you can use them as you want. I've used some as "patrons" for the group prior to when they are found out as well as off stage leaders. "What! Why that is terrible! I had no idea the shipment of umbellas going to Mars was really crates of bolt action rifles! Someone will pay for besmirching my company!" If you want them on earth a while then they sent the items back via a courier (even post). Both are consumerate actors so they can take on many roles and have enough favors to get them out of any legal straights. If you have a bunch of bloodthirsty, paraniod players, I would be very careful using these characters too early as, even with the wierd science devices and inventions they can have, you could end up with dead leads a bit early ;>)
Kodyax
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on adapting it to a campaign. I just got to do some GMing last weekend. The group wanted me to run Pathfinder. When that's ove I plan on running a big and semi-convoluted version combining Space: 1889, Dead Lands and Cthulhu with furry characters as survivors of the Island of Dr. Moreau.
NoFairFights
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update! Just started this game back up. We ended with a piece of plot point from the "doomed caravan" and I'm picking up right after the high Martian night raid.

Interesting things do far:
Stopped the pirate raid on the Glorious Dawn, and captured the enemy ship.
The naval officer / noble formally requested to be considered for princess Amaraamtaba's hand.
The pcs are close to discovering a sinister force behind the recent uprising in Shatapesh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: