Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Interface Zero 2.0] Cybernetics: design theory
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidJ
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Peacock wrote:
popebabylon wrote:
+1: Maintenance or Repair... something I don't think enough people put into cyber systems. Could simply be a cost per month, perhaps exacerbated by flaws (although could be tricky to make it FFF).

I've toyed with a few ways to handle maintenance/repair for a post-apocalyptic campaign, but it's still on the to-do list. The main advantage of this approach is that it can be F!F!F! because it's not something happening in the middle of combat. At least, not usually.

I've thought that one way to handle it might be to have a maintenance cost associated with everything. For a short-run campaign or one-shot, this might not even be much of an issue. If the characters have regular employment, it might not be much of an issue, either: Cyber-gear might be so routine that a common perk for a regular job is to have cyber-maintenance up to X taken care of "as long as the cyberware in some way enhances your way to perform the job." And, a lot of the "incidental" cyberware might have negligible maintenance costs; as long as you're still in the realm of civilization and not absolutely destitute, it's assumed that it can be maintained as part of your living expenses.

It's only after you get up past a certain threshold that it starts to become an issue. Then, you have monthly costs (or annual, if the GM wants to deal with this less frequently).

If, however, you skip maintenance -- either because you can't afford it, or you've been "off the grid" for an extended period -- then perhaps there's a maintenance table or even a card deck to consult. You get one draw/roll per month without maintenance, and per time you get beat up in combat (Wound or worse) without ready access to maintenance/repair.

Such a table or deck might list general categories: cyber-arm, optics, etc. It's possible that each card (or each table entry) might list more than one category (so there's a chance of multiple breakdowns of related systems). Higher-maintenance stuff is going to populate the list more; things with fewer moving parts, etc. (such as optics) should be rarer. If something comes up and you DO NOT HAVE IT, you lucked out. If something comes up and you DO have it, then a problem arises.

Rather than the element just blowing up immediately, it gains a "malfunction chance." Once that's established, every time the feature is used, roll a d6 (let's say), and on a "1," it breaks down. For persistent-use items, it might be per hour of use; for limbs, gizmos, etc., it's only when it's actually used -- so you have a chance of just NOT USING IT until you can get some maintenance done on it. Woe to the poor fellow whose neural implants are in need of maintenance; you can't very well get by without using your brain, so you'd have to find help and FAST.

So, most of the time, the bill-paying and either card-drawing or table-consulting only happens between adventures, when "time passes" and the heroes are still on the run or out of money. However, once something is identified as a problem, then there's the CHANCE it might work a little while longer, or break down at a crucial moment in the middle of the next action scene.

The numbers, dice, etc., are just arbitrarily chosen here. Part of the trouble would be to figure out where to "weight" the chances so that it's enough that a character might need to worry about, but not enough that the character is guaranteed to instantly break down once he misses a single checkup.

Of course, there might be someone in the team who CAN maintain gear for the group. Perhaps that means that the maintenance costs are reduced (as long as this team member is gracious enough not to expect to be paid by his fellows).

Or, perhaps it means that when the table-rolling or card-drawing is pulled, she gets a chance at a replacement card-pull/table-roll, or she can make a "field repair" that can stave off disaster for a while longer.

I see that this has a lot of potential for being messy, but the GM has a lot of opportunity to just hand-wave it if he doesn't want to go there. First off, the heroes could just pay a per-month fee, or the GM could even go ahead and deduct it for them out of their pay (or just declare that whatever pay goes in their accounts represents money they get AFTER monthly living and maintenance expenses).

Other than that, a GM could either let the heroes get a package deal with their employment contracts for free maintenance, or see to it that there's a friendly neighborhood cyber-doc that they have as a contact even if they are on the run.

Such a convenience could serve as a hook: If the friendly neighborhood cyber-doc is in some sort of TROUBLE, heavily-cybered heroes have a strong incentive to help him out, so they don't have to worry about all those pesky maintenance rules! ;D

P.S.: What's a "TAP"?

Great Ideas! I love the idea of a card draw if repairs are neglected.

As Coyote mentioned, a TAP (Tendril Access processor) is basically a wireless modem for your brain. It acts as your character's virtual eyes, allowing him or her to percieve Hyper real objects and interact with them on a basic level, i.e. "touching" a button on a digital kiosk to bring up a catalog of prices, closing or expanding digital windows hovering in front of you, etc...

The TAP also functions as a web browser, a PDA, a comm link (Though many peoiple still use cell phones, especially people who don't want others to overhear or otherwise record their private conversations.

To see Hyper Reality (and hack it, which also requires a hyper glove), your character needs to have a TAP.
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thurak wrote:
I love the idea of a card draw if repairs are neglected.

Although I can go a bit overboard with the custom decks at times, one reason I've been fond of "card mechanics" for some things is that it's pretty easy for a GM to customize. If there's some result in the deck that has become a big pain, or is too confusing/ambiguous, you can pull it out so it will trouble you no more.

thurak wrote:
As Coyote mentioned, a TAP (Tendril Access processor) is basically a wireless modem for your brain. It acts as your character's virtual eyes

That reminds me of a rather creepy short student film that a gamer friend of mine shared via Google+. (YouTube video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK_cdkpazjI&feature=player_embedded) (Warning: This is not a happy story.)

It also reminds me just a little of the anime series "Dennou Coil" (although that took the concept in a different direction, and I don't think fully explored the practical potential, treating it all more as an excuse for a game/plaything).

I'd thought of doing something similar for an upcoming sci-horror/cyberpunk campaign for local group, though with a little more emphasis on the "horror" angle (i.e., how these things could go HORRIBLY WRONG). At present, I'm just going with core Savage Worlds rules with a few setting rules on top, rather than an established Savage Setting book -- but I suppose I'll have to check out IZ sometime, to see if it can help me avoid "reinventing the wheel" on a few things.
popebabylon
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could a malfunction system (given lack of maintenance or repairs) just utilize the same "flaws" system that works on cheap cyberware?

For example:

A character buys an optic replacement but balances out the cost by adding a flaw that causes static whenever his initiative is a club (-4 notice/shooting or something like that).

A different character buys a top-of-the-line optic package, but doesn't pay his maintenance costs one month. He draws a card from the deck (or rolls on a table) and gets the same flaw (static) which lasts until a repair cost.

Possibly even allows people with flawed cyberware to buy off the flaws with the same repair cost mechanic.

Just an idea. I tend to be fond of reusing a mechanic in two different workflows rather than having a different (but similar) mechanic in both.
DavidJ
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

popebabylon wrote:
Could a malfunction system (given lack of maintenance or repairs) just utilize the same "flaws" system that works on cheap cyberware?

For example:

A character buys an optic replacement but balances out the cost by adding a flaw that causes static whenever his initiative is a club (-4 notice/shooting or something like that).

A different character buys a top-of-the-line optic package, but doesn't pay his maintenance costs one month. He draws a card from the deck (or rolls on a table) and gets the same flaw (static) which lasts until a repair cost.

Possibly even allows people with flawed cyberware to buy off the flaws with the same repair cost mechanic.

Just an idea. I tend to be fond of reusing a mechanic in two different workflows rather than having a different (but similar) mechanic in both.

I'll talk with my developer about this.

It's a great idea!
Clash957
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to agree with Jordan on his input for cyberware. I really like the background for Interface Zero. It made me interested in reading both Neromancer and Snow Crash (just finished it today). I also want to keep cyberware as a function of gear kept in check with something like cybertolerance that maybe increases at rank (getting use to it/Doctors trying harder because of your rep).

Random things:
I like the idea of cyborgs (Ghost in Shell-style). I been using the Android race as template. I altered most of the races in the IZ book more to my liking, although I might have gone a little too far with the number of basic abilities some of them had. One thing I wanted for cyborgs was the Outsider Hindrance like when the two borg cops in GitS were talking on the boat. I also wanted them to basically be owned by a megacorp. Cyborgs are simply too expensive for anybody but a megacorp (ala robocop).

One cybernetic hindrance you could add could borrowed from Snow Crash kind of. The MicroRadar? MassRader could easily detect metal in the area which was why Raven with his glass knives could easily sneak up on people. A character borg-ed out with the bleeding edge is going to a very desirable (and well known) target by chrome reapers. You could think of adding something to the effect most other samurai know what gear the character is packing with a rep roll.

I also wanted to commit ask about the TAP. Billy Black-Eyes said its like a cell phone. I figure it has all the functions of a cell phone but in the brain. It seemed like the TAP didn't have a hard drive and relies on the surrounding tech clouds for info. Wouldn't it have a small 100 Gig or hard drive for basic apps (clock, gps, compass, basically what ever can be found on smart phone Marketplaces)?

The Hyperglove. I understand the Minority report functionality, but would it simply be easier for a hacker to use their TAP for a 3D holographic image of the interface (like the tech in Mass Effect) wired to their hands nervous system? I mean you're already connected to the audio/video part why not part of the Somatosensory system?

Gritty Damage. Other than other rpgs (Cyberpunk 2020, Shadowrun) I don't see why this is a genre thing. Granted my knowledge of cyberpunk in fairly limited to basically the sources listed above, but I don't know why this is a thing in cyberpunk. I'm not saying don't add the gritty rules, you also put a section for taking them out. Its just after reading Neromancer and Snow Crash I just don't see where this ultra deadly-ness comes from. Y.T. and Hiro do some stupendously dangerous things with little more than bumps and bruises. And at no time did I feel that either of them nor Case were in any danger of being gunned down. As for those around them, they were all minor characters written to be killed off like in any action movie.

I've been meaning to write this in the RPG.net forums because all the cyberpunk games I know of (save Daring Tales of the Sprawl) have this idea that combat is incredibly lethal yet happens all the time resulting a fairly high turn-over of characters. Makes me feel like I'm playing Fisheye or Vic instead of Hiro or Case. Is it the noir they are going for?

Once my players become more comfortable with Savage Worlds with Deadlands, I have been thinking of introducing them to Interface Zero by having their new characters being the players of their Deadlands characters in the MMO of Deadlands in IZ. I just have a lot gaps how things look/feel and operate. I'm sure that's what IZ 2.0 is going to do.

Like I said before, I like this setting. It really feels like it is a possible future extrapolated from today with the kind of tech that exists and how society would adapt it.
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clash957 wrote:
I also wanted them to basically be owned by a megacorp. Cyborgs are simply too expensive for anybody but a megacorp (ala robocop).

That's a pretty good point. I could see that as a rational in-game limitation ... though I'd be a bit careful with it, since it could put limitations on the sort of groups that the PCs could form, or the kinds of missions they could run. (Namely: If you are owned by a megacorporation, that could deeply hinder your ability to participate in a "freelance" group that works for one megacorp this mission, and another the next. Rather like how in classic Cyberpunk, if one player decides to play the Corp or the Cop or the Media, that's going to require a bit of GM creativity to mesh it with the "generic" freelancer cyberpunk missions that were presented as the norm in that game.)

Clash957 wrote:
A character borg-ed out with the bleeding edge is going to a very desirable (and well known) target by chrome reapers.

That reminds me a little of Battle Angel Alita. Very Happy

Clash957 wrote:
Wouldn't it have a small 100 Gig or hard drive for basic apps (clock, gps, compass, basically what ever can be found on smart phone Marketplaces)?

I figure it ought to be solid state. Smile

Clash957 wrote:
The Hyperglove. I understand the Minority report functionality, but would it simply be easier for a hacker to use their TAP for a 3D holographic image of the interface (like the tech in Mass Effect) wired to their hands nervous system?

Frankly, I don't think I would ever want something artificially added to the system to be PURELY mind-controlled. It's hard to have complete control over one's own thoughts. I think we all learned that thanks to Ghostbusters and the Staypuft Marshmallow Man. I wouldn't want a brain-controlled gun going off accidentally because I thought I saw something in the shadows. Talk about trigger-happy!

Clash957 wrote:
Gritty Damage.

Actually, my recollection of R. Talsorian's original Cyberpunk -- with its "Saturday Night Firefight" combat rules as a separate booklet in the boxed set -- was that it was surprisingly lethal compared to most systems (hit-point-based, all of them) I had run into up until that point -- but I realize that many different "cyberpunk" stories have a very different take on how dangerous the world really is to our protagonists, so I can see where you're coming from.
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clash957 wrote:
I just want to agree with Jordan on his input for cyberware. I really like the background for Interface Zero. It made me interested in reading both Neromancer and Snow Crash (just finished it today). I also want to keep cyberware as a function of gear kept in check with something like cybertolerance that maybe increases at rank (getting use to it/Doctors trying harder because of your rep).

Great books. And thanks for your kind words. I hope IZ 2.0: Full Metal Cyberpunk exceeds your expectations.

Clash957 wrote:

Random things:
I like the idea of cyborgs (Ghost in Shell-style). I been using the Android race as template. I altered most of the races in the IZ book more to my liking, although I might have gone a little too far with the number of basic abilities some of them had. One thing I wanted for cyborgs was the Outsider Hindrance like when the two borg cops in GitS were talking on the boat. I also wanted them to basically be owned by a megacorp. Cyborgs are simply too expensive for anybody but a megacorp (ala robocop).

Great ideas. Full conversion cyborgs MAY get into the book as a special background, but we'll have to take a hard look at the best way to do it. The background would probably have some sort of mandatory tie to a parent megacorp.

Clash957 wrote:

One cybernetic hindrance you could add could borrowed from Snow Crash kind of. The MicroRadar? MassRader could easily detect metal in the area which was why Raven with his glass knives could easily sneak up on people. A character borg-ed out with the bleeding edge is going to a very desirable (and well known) target by chrome reapers. You could think of adding something to the effect most other samurai know what gear the character is packing with a rep roll.

Mass radar.. very cool. I'd forgotten about the glass knives... Great Book.

Clash957 wrote:

I also wanted to commit ask about the TAP. Billy Black-Eyes said its like a cell phone. I figure it has all the functions of a cell phone but in the brain. It seemed like the TAP didn't have a hard drive and relies on the surrounding tech clouds for info. Wouldn't it have a small 100 Gig or hard drive for basic apps (clock, gps, compass, basically what ever can be found on smart phone Marketplaces)?

Yeah It would have a small HDD to handle basic applications. I'll make sure that's understood in 2.0

Clash957 wrote:

The Hyperglove. I understand the Minority report functionality, but would it simply be easier for a hacker to use their TAP for a 3D holographic image of the interface (like the tech in Mass Effect) wired to their hands nervous system? I mean you're already connected to the audio/video part why not part of the Somatosensory system?

It would be easier, but, honestly, and this isn't a slight to anyone out there, but I'd had some people get confused by the whole 3d holographic interface Thing. It's also one of the main reasons ghosting is pretty much out of the picture.

To address this, we went with the hyper glove, which works well conceptually and, frankly, is a piece of gear that can break down without crippling the character. It can also be stolen.

Yeah, I know, that's mean, but hey, this is 2090. Life's not fair Wink

Now, that said, if you want to go the 3d route, just use the hyper glove stats and say that the character is hacking mentally.

Clash957 wrote:

Gritty Damage. Other than other rpgs (Cyberpunk 2020, Shadowrun) I don't see why this is a genre thing. Granted my knowledge of cyberpunk in fairly limited to basically the sources listed above, but I don't know why this is a thing in cyberpunk. I'm not saying don't add the gritty rules, you also put a section for taking them out. Its just after reading Neromancer and Snow Crash I just don't see where this ultra deadly-ness comes from. Y.T. and Hiro do some stupendously dangerous things with little more than bumps and bruises. And at no time did I feel that either of them nor Case were in any danger of being gunned down. As for those around them, they were all minor characters written to be killed off like in any action movie.

I've been meaning to write this in the RPG.net forums because all the cyberpunk games I know of (save Daring Tales of the Sprawl) have this idea that combat is incredibly lethal yet happens all the time resulting a fairly high turn-over of characters. Makes me feel like I'm playing Fisheye or Vic instead of Hiro or Case. Is it the noir they are going for?[/quote]

The beginning chapters of Neuromancer made things seem pretty dangerous for the main character (at least to me), and then of course there's BladeRunner, the Godfather of Cyberpunk. Decker was getting his ass kicked all through the movie.

I've always associated cyberpunk with gritty damage. That said, I'm gonna share something with you. Gritty Damage is going away as a setting rule for 2.0. It's in the Savage Worlds deluxe Edition and I see no need to reprint it.

If individual gaming groups want to keep going with gritty damage, then that's a choice they can make.

I think gritty damage/high lethality really hammers home the idea of social rebellion; The cards are stacked against you, you know that at any given time, you could die...but you don't let that get in the way of your goals and making a few creds in the process. In this type of game, just getting home in one piece is a reason to celebrate! A "life on the edge" feel is hard to accomplish if the characters have no "real" worry about death, IMHO.

Clash957 wrote:

Once my players become more comfortable with Savage Worlds with Deadlands, I have been thinking of introducing them to Interface Zero by having their new characters being the players of their Deadlands characters in the MMO of Deadlands in IZ. I just have a lot gaps how things look/feel and operate. I'm sure that's what IZ 2.0 is going to do.

Like I said before, I like this setting. It really feels like it is a possible future extrapolated from today with the kind of tech that exists and how society would adapt it.

Thank you so much for all your comments and suggestions!
Virgobrown72
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really simple idea. When your over your limit on. Cyberware, you take a Hindrance. These will simulate the mental and/or physical strain of too much chrome...
DavidJ
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virgobrown72 wrote:
Really simple idea. When your over your limit on. Cyberware, you take a Hindrance. These will simulate the mental and/or physical strain of too much chrome...

I'm headed in that direction, though I don't like the idea that a character can pick a hindrance. I want something a little more random.

I'm thinking more along the lines of an inherent risk. each time you get 'ware.

Characters can spend a number of points on cybernetics equal to their Vigor die (D6 = 6 points, D8 = 8 points, etc), but each time they get implants (after character generation) they make a spirit roll.

Failure on the roll prompts a card draw, with the results indicating some short-lived negative consequence.

Maybe the character has night terrors and suffers a fatigue level every day until he can pay to get the cyberware tweaked ( rapir roll + half the cost of the cyberware).

If you go OVER your Vigor limit, and fail a spirit roll, you draw twice.
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thurak wrote:
Characters can spend a number of points on cybernetics equal to their Vigor die (D6 = 6 points, D8 = 8 points, etc), but each time they get implants (after character generation) they make a spirit roll.

Hmm. If the GM is generous on the Bennies, or this is done at the end of a combat-light session and the players have Bennies to burn, there's the possibility this chance might not have much "bite."

Perhaps there should be a penalty to the check based on how many implants you have already. The harsher method would be to implement a -1 penalty to your check for every point in cybernetics you already have installed. That could get pretty unwieldy long before you reach your maximum, but if the consequences are fairly mild, it just might mean that as you start to get cybered up, you can expect complications and further tune-ups to be the norm.

A less severe approach might be to apply a -1 penalty to the roll per point of cybernetics you have installed past the "safe" maximum. So, up until that point, it's just a flat Spirit check (pretty easy to pass if you have any Bennies handy), but if you go too far overboard you'll run into issues even if you have a stack of Bennies on hand each time you get a new gizmo installed.

Either that, or you could just say that Bennies can't be spent on this check. That'll introduce a bit of risk, to be sure.
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, if I understand this right, you are going to have a points pool to spend on cyberware? That could be interesting or it could lead to some abuse. I'm definitely interested in seeing the final result either way.
salcor
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might add a little more work for the book, but perhaps you can put different rules level together. So you want gritty Cyberpunk 2020/Robocop style cyberpunk then perhaps you combine the gritty damage rules, plus heavy negatives on the players the more cyberware they get. Maybe your negative for cyberware is the decreasing the effects that Bennies provide as a wildcard.

If you want Appleseed then it is more of a heroic game, and there is no limit on cyberware for wildcards.

Salcor
Kodyax
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One request on full conversion cyborgs: if you do decide to make them a part of the game, have a full book dedicated to just them and nothing else so a given GM can pick up that book and then decide whether to include it or not. I'm not strictly opposed to them but I do feel that they took over Cyberpunk 2020 and would like a dedicated volume that I can look over and then decide whether I do or do not want them in the game I want to run. I thank you in advance for your consideration.
popebabylon
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So while I'm mostly able to patiently wait until the IZ2.0 kickstarter, I'm itching to know what direction cyberware is going to go after this conversation. Any tidbits about the final design that can be shared? Smile
DavidJ
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

popebabylon wrote:
So while I'm mostly able to patiently wait until the IZ2.0 kickstarter, I'm itching to know what direction cyberware is going to go after this conversation. Any tidbits about the final design that can be shared? Smile

The cyberware section of the book has gone through the first round of edits.

I'll give you guys a little preview of the system, and a sample piece. Keep in mind we don't have the economy of cybernetics down yet, as we're tying that to character creation.

Cyberware, Bioware, and Genetic Augmentation all make a character more powerful. We call these collective implants whether they are Chrome or Biological “Enhancements”. While enhancements make characters more powerful, they also exact a price. Each new system installed brings the character further above baseline humanity, and at the same time further away from humanity too. Too many enhancements take a mental toll as well as a physical one on characters. To reflect this, all enhancement packages have an extra cost known as “Cyber Points.”

CYBER TOLERANCE

Just as people in real life have differing tolerances to unhealthy habits, characters in IZ 2.0 also differ in how many enhancements they can handle before negative effects accumulate. We call this differing value “Cyber Tolerance”; a new derived statistic every character in I.Z 2.0 has.

To figure out a character’s cyber tolerance, take their natural (unenhanced) spirit die type, and add it to their natural (unenhanced) Vigor die type. Divide the total in half and you will have your result. The formula looks like this.

(Vigor + Spirit)/2=Cyber Tolerance.

For example, a character with a d6 in both Spirit and Vigor, will have a cyber tolerance of 6. As a character raises their Spirit or Vigor die type with advancements, their cyber tolerance also raises.

CYBER POINTS

Cyberpoints are used to track the cumulative deleterious effects multiple enhancements have on the body. Each enhancement comes with a corresponding gain in cyberpoints. As these cyber points accumulate, negative mental and physical effects begin to affect a character.
As an Example, level III Wireless Reflexes imparts 3 full cyberpoints. While Level IV sense systems only impart .8 cyberpoints.

As a character's cyber points begin to approach their cyber tolerance rating, bad things start to happen. Their health begins to break down and their mental stability begins to fracture. The human body can only take so much modification before it finally gives up. If cyber points ever exceed a character’s cyber tolerance, the character ends up dying. Most trained medical professionals will be able to determine if a particular procedure will push a character’s body past its breaking point and inform them accordingly.

If you thought death was the only potential downside to having too many enhancements though, you were mistaken. Whenever a character’s cyber points goes over either his unmodified Spirit or Vigor die type by a full point, he gains either a Mental or Physical Cyber Flaw.

CYBER FLAWS
Cyber flaws are debilitating side effects which come from the accumulation of too many enhancements. The flaw is physical, or mental in nature depending on whether the accumulated cyber points exceeded a characters Vigor, or their Spirit. In the case of a tie, players and GM can always determine randomly, or have a discussion on what would be most appropriate for the character based on the personality of the character and the type of enhancements involved.

To shed cyber flaws, a character needs to raise the affected unmodified attribute through advancements. When the affected attribute is raised above the accumulated cyber points, the flaws attached to that attribute also disappear. If the accumulated cyber points exceed the characters die type again, however, the whole process starts over.

SAMPLE CYBER FLAW

Bad Implantation: Choose one of your enhancements. This enhancement is less integrated, and therefore much more vulnerable to damage then your others. Any time you take a health level, make an immediate Vvigor roll. A failed roll indicates that particular enhancement malfunctions and loses any benefits. The enhancement is repaired when the wound is healed. This flaw may be taken again for a -2 to the vVigor roll.

Compromised Immune System: The presence of so many enhancements in your body is compromising your body's immune system, lowering your T-cell count. You are at -1 to all Vigor rolls to resist sickness, disease, or infection. This Flaw can be taken again, raising the penalty to -2. You can purchase a weekly immuno booster regime to negate 1 point of penalties, but the boosters will cost you X credits per week.

SAMPLE CYBERWARE

The Gunslinger Package: Nerves of steel, reflexes like lightning, the aim of a legend. All of these can be yours with the Gunslinger package, the preferred choice of Snipers and Assassins the world over.
Parts: Fight or Flight I, Emotional Resistance System I, Wireless Reflexes I, Smart Gun System I, 2 levels of Enhanced senses.
Cyberpoints: 3.1

The Spy Package: Breaking, entering, and exploring places you’re not suppose to has never been easier! With the spy package you can infiltrate and extract with ease!
Parts: Infiltrator Package I, Enhanced Articulation I, Tailored Pheromones, Skill Computer KNOWcomp II, 2 levels of Enhanced Senses.
Cyberpoints: 2.8

Bone Lacing I-III: Each level of Bone Lacing provides +1 Toughness to the character, as well as +1 damage on all unarmed damage rolls.
Cyberpoints: 1 per level.
popebabylon
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you David! Looking good so far. I like the packages and the sample flaws make sense.

It's a bit odd that the tolerance total is (Spi+Vig)/2, but you only get flaws if cyber points exceed one or the other stat. In your example of d6 Vigor and d6 Spirit, the character would never have an opportunity to gain cyberflaws before he or she'd kicked the metal bucket. Am I missing something? Or can you also get cyberflaws to reduce the monetary cost of the implants too?

Cheers! Smile
Kodyax
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, I definitely want to be a part of this even if only as a backer.
DavidJ
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

popebabylon wrote:
Thank you David! Looking good so far. I like the packages and the sample flaws make sense.

It's a bit odd that the tolerance total is (Spi+Vig)/2, but you only get flaws if cyber points exceed one or the other stat. In your example of d6 Vigor and d6 Spirit, the character would never have an opportunity to gain cyberflaws before he or she'd kicked the metal bucket. Am I missing something? Or can you also get cyberflaws to reduce the monetary cost of the implants too?

Cheers! Smile

The example I think is a little skewed and should be adjusted.

I don't think that particular instance will ever happen, especially if the character is wanting a lot of cyberware, but you're right in this instance.

I'll talk with my developer and see if he saw that as well.

I'll see if we can look at possibly using cyberflaws to lower the credit cost as well.
Stampede
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys!

Dave V here, one of the primary writers for I.Z. 2.0 and also the designer of the new cyberware system.

The current mixup in the writing is my fault. I changed the system for Cybertolerance at the last minute and forgot to carry through my original thought processes! Let this be a lesson to always double check your work!

Now then, the way it's suppose to work is this.

The CyberTolerance rating, is the threshold before you begin suffering negative effects from having enhancements.

Once you pass that threshold, for every full point beyond it (rounding up) you gain a new Cyberflaw. Cyberflaws are based on the lower of your Vigor or Spirit die type as a default, but I also always recommend working with your GM to choose those appropriate to the character.

You can actually store a number of enhancements equal to DOUBLE your Cybertolerance rating before you end up dying.

Hope that clears things up!

Edit: And just to add some more distinction, the samples of Enhancements Dave showed you, were two packages and an individual piece.

Packages are quick enhancement templates with everything figured out cost wise in both credits and cyberpoints, which can very easily round out a starting character or an NPC. They allow you to stick to a concept and quickly make a character.

However, for those who want to take more time, each of the parts of a package can be purchased separately for full customization. The last sample is a part all by itself.

Last edited by Stampede on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:57 am; edited 1 time in total
steelbrok
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be simpler to say:
cyberware points > Vigour = physcal impairment
cyberware points > Spirit = mental impairment

Greater than both = die
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: