Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Savage E-Reader??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robdavisrgg
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Savage E-Reader?? Reply with quote

I will be the first to admit that I love having a hard copy of a book but with SW that is not always an option. One of the things I love about my NOOK COLOR is the way it reads most PDF files as ebooks. I have PDFs of all my books and the ereader works fine with most of the newer ones like SWDE, Horror Comp., Dead Lands Reloaded. What I am finding however is that older ones like Fantasy Comp., Super Powers Comp., Ness. Evil and so on only seem to work well with the PDF reader on my NOOK? Has anyone else had this issue?
Kertain
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't really answer you questions, but do have some suggestions on PDF readers if you go down that route.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the NOOK is Android based.
I recently got a new Android tablet and it took me awhile to find a PDF reader I liked and loaded quickly.

Try ezPDF Reader Pro, its not free but after trying 5-6 it was by far the best. Worse case if does not work properly you can return it within 12 hours (or something like that). They also have a Lite version..but haven't tried that.
Seeker of Truth
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm loving my Nexus 7 so far. I use Ebookdroid for reading pdfs, and its great so far. I haven't used it at the table yet, due to my current lack of a group, but I have no doubt it will be very useful. I've also got some other apps for drawing quick maps (a pint-like program), StoneTome for messing with Obsidian Portal, and Truly Random, a dice roller I can program with adventure generator tables.
fanchergw
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Kindle Touch last spring, primarily for reading PDFs. If you ask the support people, they will sometimes admit that it has a 40 Mb limit to the PDF size that it can handle. What they seem not to even be aware of is that it is also unable to handle PDFs with layers, regardless of size. Unfortunately, this has really limited it's utility for me, as many SvgW PDFs (both by PEG and other licensees) have layers.

Gordon
The Dread Polack
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im using a Motorola Xoom. I've found that the actual free Adobe Acrobat Reader loads large gaming pdfs the fastest of all the apps I've tried. EZ reader, Quickoffice (all forms of it) take for ever to load.
robdavisrgg
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kertain...
I went to the NOOK store and got the EZPDF reader and it works great! Just what I needed.
kaltorak
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using a Kindle DX, and I have no probs (apart some bordered image).
Jerome Sullivan
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using Motorola Xoom with ez PDF reader.

While I really like this reader when you use it to actually read the pdf, it's a major pain if you just want to flip through the pages because it only buffers the very next page, so when you flip through the next page while take while, about 3-10 seconds.
thudthwacker
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerome Sullivan wrote:

While I really like this reader when you use it to actually read the pdf, it's a major pain if you just want to flip through the pages because it only buffers the very next page, so when you flip through the next page while take while, about 3-10 seconds.

That is actually the thing I find most inconvenient about reading any book in a reader rather than as layers of pulped wood: I often know where something is in a book by feel (the thickness of pages I'm holding in each hand) and by the pages around the thing I'm looking for. I might now know (making something up) precisely where the table of standard rodeo gear is, but I *do* remember that it's a few pages after the picture of the big-top full of zombies.

So, odd question: are there any PDF readers that load pages fast enough to flip through them quickly? As in: hit the "next page" button and the next page comes up. *Hold* the "next page" button and, after a brief pause, it flashes the pages past, displaying each one for something like a quarter of a second. Any reader you folks know of behave that way?

(I recognize that this kind of feature might be of interest to, literally, *nobody* but me. But it would be great to find out something had it.)
The Dread Polack
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, the Adobe PDF reader is the only one that comes close to being able to flip through a book. It also depends on the complexity of the PDF. SW books, so far, have been easy on my tablet because they aren't really graphically intensive, and don't have as many pages as some. There's also the option of using the "Text Reflow" option which eliminates the graphics, but with the way so many rpg books are laid out, it sometimes jumples up the text boxes and tables, etc.
javierrivera
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Try ezPDF Reader Pro, its not free but after trying 5-6 it was by far the best. Worse case if does not work properly you can return it within 12 hours (or something like that). They also have a Lite version..but haven't tried that.

I use Lite version and it works great. It's fast, and it has link and TOC support (both a must for rpg manual reading, specially during play, IMHO).

If you are only going to use it to read pdfs, no annotations, no fancy tools, no forms, no text-to-speech, lite is more than enough and it's cheaper.
Dracones
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also on a Nexus 7 and I really like it for reading. Using ez pdf reader on it. I really like how the reader can zoom in on columns. Makes reading the PDF easier.

The only bad thing about current tablets and PDF is they can't flip through them quickly. They tend to cache a page or two ahead so page turning isn't slow, unless you try to flip through a lot of pages at once. Then it can bog down some.
The Dread Polack
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which I don't really understand. I know that tablets don't have the same power as a desktop or even a laptop, but you'd think it could handle a PDF, even a large one. Is it a software thing, or is there just something about how it all works that I don't understand?
javierrivera
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rendering complex pdfs are a compute expensive thing. Even netbooks have usually problem with them.

Role-playing books, which are usually heavy on high resolution art (high resolution is needed to allow good quality printing). Paizo was a bigger offender than Pinacle, their harbook pdfs rendered slow even on middle range machines, the problem was so real that Paizo now is publishing "Lite" version of their hardbook pdfs.
Dracones
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it has more to do with the PDF format being a complete bloated mess.

I can flip through full color magazines in Google's Play Magazine with beautiful high resolution images on my N7 but PDFs make my Linux desktop bog down.

People are using PDF because there isn't really any other format to use outside of epub/mobi which is for novels and not magazine or art heavy book layouts.

It'd be nice if say rpgdrivethru came up with an Anrdoid/iPad app and would push a nice open source magazine format through for that, but it'd probably be more $$ to create than they'd be interested in handling. At some point though something like that will get created and you'll see magazines and other similar publishers flock to it.
Redtwin
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The app I use is simply called PDF Viewer. It's options include the ability to disable images, which make it extremely fast. It's not pretty, but it's fast, and I don't need pretty for most of the reading I do.
The Dread Polack
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the APV PDF Viewer? I can't seem to find an app simply called "PDF Viewer"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: