Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who would be interested in an Apocalypse Companion?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kodyax
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't support Steve Jackson Games at all.
jeff
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodyax wrote:
Cryonic wrote:
Kodyax wrote:
I'm someone who really likes print books and if this was available say as a print on demand book I would order myself a copy as soon as I could scrape the funds together. D20 Apocalypse was mentioned and it's a great mine for ideas, you just need D20 Future and D20 Modern to use it on its own. Related to this is the version of Gamma World from Arthaus which was published through White Wolf and was D20 Modern based.

The idea of making this a toolkit is worthwhile and I encourage this line of thinking. In some ways a GM like me already has some basic ideas of what they want and are just looking for some new ideas or some pre-fabricated toys to use in game.

If you're just wanting sources to mine for information (and not game stats) then look no further than SJG's GURPS. All those various sourcebooks are filled with tons of information just waiting to be used in any game system.

I'd rather converted the d20 Modern of Gamma World thank you very much, I turn to Savage Worlds for all my sci-fi needs.

Say wha?
Kodyax
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically when I want a universal system for my games there is only system worth considering for me: Savage Worlds
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodyax wrote:
Basically when I want a universal system for my games there is only system worth considering for me: Savage Worlds

The suggestion was to use GURPS books for setting, equipment. story and character ideas not to play the GURPS system
Jonah Hex
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodyax wrote:

Well, no one has suggested using the system for anything.

Kodyax wrote:

Would you mind explaining why? In my experience, SJG has been one of the most consistently user-friendly game companies out there over the last 25 years, not to mention publishing among the best researched genre/setting books in the industry, especially the historical source books.

I get not wanting to use GURPS for your system needs; it's an acquired taste and I only use it for specific games, but taking a stand against the company itself, not to mention their excellent quality source books, that I don't get.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonah Hex wrote:
Kodyax wrote:

Would you mind explaining why? In my experience, SJG has been one of the most consistently user-friendly game companies out there over the last 25 years, not to mention publishing among the best researched genre/setting books in the industry, especially the historical source books.

I get not wanting to use GURPS for your system needs; it's an acquired taste and I only use it for specific games, but taking a stand against the company itself, not to mention their excellent quality source books, that I don't get.

It likely goes without saying, but "I'd rather not" is a perfectly acceptable answer in this case. Especially if it is a "hot topic" button for the person and they would rather say nothing than potentially end up violating the forum rules.

Not saying it is, just to respect to decision to answer or not answer regardless.

Thanks for putting up with my "window cleaning" reply. Wink

www.peginc.com
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be ok about Steve Jackson games and then i bought Munchin Imposable at goodwill for $1 and one card was missing. I feel so used and cheated
Cryonic
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VonDan wrote:
I used to be ok about Steve Jackson games and then i bought Munchin Imposable at goodwill for $1 and one card was missing. I feel so used and cheated

I'm hoping this is a joke...

Savage Worlds Tales: http://www.daemonstorm.com/category/Categories/Role-playing/Savage-Worlds
SeeleyOne
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it humorous, at least if it was a joke. Even if it was serious it is still amusing.

To be evil is to live backwards
Jonah Hex
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:

It likely goes without saying, but "I'd rather not" is a perfectly acceptable answer in this case. Especially if it is a "hot topic" button for the person and they would rather say nothing than potentially end up violating the forum rules.

Granted; I'm just curious as to someone else's experience with SJG being so different from mine that they would not support them on general principle. I've found them to be pretty forthright and, as I said, there books can be quite informative no matter what system you play. I haven't played much GURPS in the last decade but I still make ample use of my library.

When their 4e core books had a shoddy print job and fell apart, they replaced them for free, including shipping without proof. That's why I have two. I don't see many other companies doing stuff like that, including Wizards with whom he clearly has no problem. Just saying.

And yes, I'm sure VonDan was joking.
Vinzent
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO the only add-ons I would need for post-apocalyptic would be scavenging, improvised weapons and armor, and maybe a bestiary depending on the timeline.
Aki
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, should I prep an outline for fun over the weekend?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: