Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Product I'd Like: Critters and Villains of the Weird West

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
robert4818
Heroic


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 1063

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Product I'd Like: Critters and Villains of the Weird West Reply with quote

Smile Just something I'd like to see.

Compilation product containing all the potential foes of the Weird West, from adventures, trail guides, Last Sons, Flood, etc. Together in one book.

I don't even need NEW information, just an encyclopedia of things to throw at them, instead of all the diferent sources to go through.
_________________
Aperture Science:
We do what we must, because we can.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ogbendog
Legendary


Joined: 29 Jul 2004
Posts: 2387

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd drop villians, and add Rascals and Varmits.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
robert4818
Heroic


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 1063

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ogbendog wrote:
I think I'd drop villians, and add Rascals and Varmits.


Whatever they decide to title it is Their business. Otherwise, critters covers rascals and varmits. Smile
_________________
Aperture Science:
We do what we must, because we can.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Edgeworth
Seasoned


Joined: 01 Oct 2007
Posts: 190
Location: Kouvola, Finland

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have kind of love-hate relationship with monster manuals. While they can be great for your creative juices to get flowing, they are usually just books with nothing else but monsters. Nothing really worth your money, since it doesn't matter if the Nosferatu should have d8 or d10 in strenght.

That said, I liked the monster book for Deadlands Classic (now what was it called... for it had some rules for players. Animal Companions if memory serves. The second one was great too for those rules for vampirism and lycanthropy.

So if there were a RV&C Reloaded, I'd buy it if it had some new rules, gear and such.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
robert4818
Heroic


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 1063

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edgeworth wrote:
I have kind of love-hate relationship with monster manuals. While they can be great for your creative juices to get flowing, they are usually just books with nothing else but monsters. Nothing really worth your money, since it doesn't matter if the Nosferatu should have d8 or d10 in strenght.

That said, I liked the monster book for Deadlands Classic (now what was it called... for it had some rules for players. Animal Companions if memory serves. The second one was great too for those rules for vampirism and lycanthropy.

So if there were a RV&C Reloaded, I'd buy it if it had some new rules, gear and such.


Ideally, this would be an optional book. It would be nothing more than a re-packaging of other material, but in a handy reference version.
_________________
Aperture Science:
We do what we must, because we can.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RJack
Seasoned


Joined: 27 Jun 2006
Posts: 344
Location: Mad Zone, Wiskaton

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is, after they publish that, it would quickly get out of date as new adventures or plot points were published. You'd have to constantly remember which products were published prior to it, and which were published after.

Maybe if you had some kind of application like the Savage Outfitter or Wild Card Creator that let you import monster stats from any Savage Worlds pdf product, or something. Then you could constantly update it as new things were published. I guess you could use that to organize campaign elements from multiple product lines if you were making your campaign world, as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
robert4818
Heroic


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 1063

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJack wrote:
Thing is, after they publish that, it would quickly get out of date as new adventures or plot points were published. You'd have to constantly remember which products were published prior to it, and which were published after.

Maybe if you had some kind of application like the Savage Outfitter or Wild Card Creator that let you import monster stats from any Savage Worlds pdf product, or something. Then you could constantly update it as new things were published. I guess you could use that to organize campaign elements from multiple product lines if you were making your campaign world, as well.


One option would be to go either PDF, or old school Binder Format. 1 thing per page.

As new stuff came out, new inserts were released.

But yeah, that is an issue.
_________________
Aperture Science:
We do what we must, because we can.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sitting Duck
Legendary


Joined: 15 May 2003
Posts: 5035
Location: Podunk Junction, State of Confusion

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edgeworth wrote:
I have kind of love-hate relationship with monster manuals. While they can be great for your creative juices to get flowing, they are usually just books with nothing else but monsters. Nothing really worth your money, since it doesn't matter if the Nosferatu should have d8 or d10 in strenght.


Have you checked out the Solomon Kane Foes book? Not only does it provide creature profiles, but also a full adventure for each one as well as suggestions on how to otherwise employ them. It's a model I'd like to see in more monster manual-type releases.
_________________
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.
Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com
The Gamer's Codex Reviewer
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
thudthwacker
Novice


Joined: 28 Sep 2012
Posts: 28

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting Duck wrote:

Have you checked out the Solomon Kane Foes book? Not only does it provide creature profiles, but also a full adventure for each one as well as suggestions on how to otherwise employ them. It's a model I'd like to see in more monster manual-type releases.


I was just looking at the Foes book and thinking the same thing -- at first I thought it was just a standard monster-manual/bestiary kind of book, and then I read the description. Definitely the kind of model I'd like to see more places. And in places where each enemy might not warrant an entire adventure (say, a book dedicated to jungle animals), a half-page entry that included a sample encounter would be awesome. I'd be much more inclined to buy that kind of supplement than the old "here are the stats, figure out what to do with it" style.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cutter XXIII
Legendary


Joined: 27 Sep 2005
Posts: 2871
Location: I dwell in the Village of Rock, MD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys should check out the Big List of Upcoming Pinnacle Products more often... Wink

Thunderforge wrote:
Deadlands: Monsters (working title)

Type: Explorer's Edition Supplement

Description: "You say you want new abominations? And you want Savage Tales for some of them, Foes of Kane-style? And you want a bunch of Classic monsters that never got reloaded? And you want John Goff to write 'em? Well... okay, amigo, but only for you." (Cutter)


_________________
Matthew Cutter
Deadlands Big Bug (Brand Manager)
Pinnacle Entertainment Group, Inc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thudthwacker
Novice


Joined: 28 Sep 2012
Posts: 28

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutter XXIII wrote:
You guys should check out the Big List of Upcoming Pinnacle Products more often... Wink


As a rank newbie I shall ask this question with no (well, not much) embarrassment: where is that list? I see the "News" link on the main peginc.com site, but nothing about upcoming products.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thudthwacker
Novice


Joined: 28 Sep 2012
Posts: 28

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha -- you linked to the page. Duh. Is there a way to stickify that page so it stays at the top of the page?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cutter XXIII
Legendary


Joined: 27 Sep 2005
Posts: 2871
Location: I dwell in the Village of Rock, MD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently it's the top link in the Official Settings forum... see it here.
_________________
Matthew Cutter
Deadlands Big Bug (Brand Manager)
Pinnacle Entertainment Group, Inc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Edgeworth
Seasoned


Joined: 01 Oct 2007
Posts: 190
Location: Kouvola, Finland

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting Duck wrote:
Have you checked out the Solomon Kane Foes book? Not only does it provide creature profiles, but also a full adventure for each one as well as suggestions on how to otherwise employ them. It's a model I'd like to see in more monster manual-type releases.


No, I haven't. That be awesome to have in Deadlands. Heck, in every setting ever!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum