Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

d20 Modern Wealth system?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grakarg
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: d20 Modern Wealth system? Reply with quote

Does anyone have a recommendation on converting the d20 wealth system to Savage Worlds?

I found some links online to a conversion someone had done previously, but the links no longer work.

While lots of people found the d20 wealth system confusing, I always felt that it handled modern day finances fairly well, keeping everything tidy into one simple check. No muss/fuss and the rich guy can begin play able to afford his fancy sportscar and plenty of gear, instead of being broke after buying a gun and a laptop.
Kodyax
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A version of it also exists in Mutants and Masterminds to this day. It's an interesting concept to be sure as it makes the whole business of tracking dollars and cents into an abstract die roll. Not everyone will want this but if a GM wants to just have a number score on a given character sheet to represent how affluent that character is then that is what they have determined is good for their campaign.

On the whole if I were to adopt this I'd make a flat number like Charisma, Parry and Toughness probably on a scale of 1-10, whereas Wealth 1 is where I put the homeless and others of such depressed economic status and 10 being folks like the Rockefellers or Donald Trump. This can be as sliding a scale as you want but for middle class with this sort of mechanic I'd recommend a 5 for straight middle class with maybe a 4 for struggling MC as in those people who were poor and are just starting to get to the point were they can afford luxuries like eating at a fast food place more than once a week a 6 to represent those who don't really have to worry over much about their day to day finances but affording something like a cruise to the Bahamas or a lavish to so semi-lavish Hawaiian vacation is a struggle to achieve. Higher than that are folks who can afford to drop $100+ on a whim and it doesn't affect their budget one iota.

This is just my opinion as I have a lot of the books for D20 Modern/Future and liked a lot of what I saw of the system even if I now use Savage Worlds to run what they had made available to a given GM. YMMV
BlackJaw
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was looking at setting up a modern-ish Savage setting I went looking around at money systems. I found these two posts interesting:

This post from Reality Blurs covers a something close to D20 Modern's system, using the standard dice system from Savage Worlds to cover buying things like it's a skill that is never connected with an attribute. It also modifies Rich and Filthy Rich. The basics of the system is that buying something is a standard roll (get a 4 to succeed) and your wealthy "skill" helps you do that. Item cost is covered by modifiers.

The post also mentions this post about the Technoir's low-intensity money system. Kred costs being based on the number of tags and item has, and simply having a low number of kreds. Spending 10 kred on things costing between 1 and 10 kreds each is easier than $45,000 on cyber gear of varying prices.
Kodyax
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reality Blurs has an interesting idea. I may consider it in every game and depending of certain parameters outright give characters a d4 or d6 to start with.
BlackJaw
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodyax wrote:
Reality Blurs has an interesting idea. I may consider it in every game and depending of certain parameters outright give characters a d4 or d6 to start with.

The trouble is modelling it as a skill means wealth remains consistent for a character instead of changing as they get or spend money. Only by spending advances do they increase wealth. The d20 Modern system actually had making a check for something above your wealth level risk reducing your wealth level, and provided for increasing your wealth by acquiring money/credit rating.

Of course this isn't necessarily a big issue. In many games wealth is a part of a character's background/features, not something tracked and spent like D&D gold coins. Mutants and masterminds treats wealth as a character feature, for example. Depending on the needs of your game, it could work the same way.
Kodyax
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I adopt this, I may have them start at d4 for free and then outright give them an advance when they progress from Novice to Season. Make this kind of a GM Fiat that helps the players. A deus ex machina mechanic if you will.
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote