Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do Mormons dress?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrDNA
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: How do Mormons dress? Reply with quote

Do the natives of Dessert dress differently than other folk in the Weird West? I'm just wondering if when the posse rolls into SLC they can visually tell Mormon from Gentile.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only expertise in this area is the news and being forced to go to dance and swim parties with the Bee Hives when I was in Boy Scouts and being a uniformed armed guard with hatchet and knife when they were selling cookies.

If you look at the current clothing of the various conservative LDS sects only the women have a style of dress that seams different from the rest of the world. The LDS men wear modern slightly western style clothing while the women look like they are out of little house on the prairie

I will ASSuME, the women are still in a style like what they wore in the founding days.

So the Morman's at the time of Deadlands would be dressed the same as the rest of the old west although slightly more conservative. For the women they had to cover the body from ankle to wrist and not seem proud of there looks, but not as strict as Amish, the women still had color and print patterns. The men would be in work cloths and the chuch and business suits might be conservative yet not hoity toity so no tuxedos and no check and striped eastern city dude clothes

And every ware young men in pairs riding bicycles in white shirt and ties
Clash957
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, VonDan is right. From what I remember from Utah history and Pioneer Days (a Utah Holiday) while growing up there, the Mormons didn't really dress that much different than any one else. Maybe more conservative and simple, but not enough for anyone traveling through would take notice. Even then, those kinds of clothes would come from lack of cash or materials like any other person out west. Mormons seemed to favor the Mennonite style beard more than the more garish facial hair styles though.

It's what they wore under the clothes (special undergarments) that might be out place, and even then I don't know how out of place basically long underwear would be either.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clash957 wrote:

It's what they wore under the clothes (special undergarments) that might be out place, and even then I don't know how out of place basically long underwear would be either.

I was not gonna mention that

As one of the LDS founder's brother had a wool long underwear factory before he joined the style of the garments was exactly the same as worn at the time except for a special blessing and monogram. The only odd thing might be if some one notices a person in long underwear in high summer time.

But even some none LDS old timer like there wollies, my dad was a hick farm boy from north Idaho born in 1932 and grew up in a log cabin and always wore a full union suit except in the high heat of summer, and was aghast i wore a separate pants and top and would have a flannel shirt open and show my wool undershirt
sherazbutts
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, VonDan is right. From what I keep in mind from The state of utah record and Innovator Times (a The state of utah Holiday) while increasing up there, the Mormons didn't really outfit that much different than any one else. Maybe more traditional and easy, but not enough for anyone visiting through would take observe. Even then, those types of outfits would come from deficiency of money or components like any other individual out western. Mormons seemed to benefit the Mennonite design face beard more than the more garish face facial beard designs though.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sherazbutts wrote:
Even then, those types of outfits would come from deficiency of money or components like any other individual out western.

The same kind of simple clothing could have been found factory made from a catalog or dry good store in a range of prices and not just for the poor

But for those on a budget clothing could be home made to keep a families cost down so they only had to buy what was beyond the families skill set, or the skill set of there neighbors.

My grand mother in the 30's and 40's was still making clothing out of food sacks from salt, sugar, flour and grain. She might choose one food brand over another by what the sack was made out of. Some millers loaded there products into sacks with print patterns knowing the farm wife would want to use the sack or several sacks to make a dress.

She also made stuffed toys out of grain sacks by cutting out the logos "like a Pillsbury dough boy" printed on a grain sack and stitching on a back and stuffing with scrap wool.

And a lot of recycling of clothing, clothing might be picked apart to reuse the cloth or to replace a section. This is also one reason men wore vest and women full body aprons, to reduce wear to the body of the clothing and only the sleeves needed replacing as often

My grand mother used old long underwear to make mitten and winter socks.
Drnathanpanke
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, the things you learn on a forum Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: