Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alternate Faith Rules

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
CyricPL
Novice


Joined: 26 Mar 2010
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Alternate Faith Rules Reply with quote

In my home fantasy setting, there is no Arcane Background: Miracles per se, but religious characters can still manifest special abilities. I posted the rules at the link below; I'd love feedback on this. I'm especially torn about whether Dauntless/Unyielding should really be two separate edges or combined, and whether the "Notice" function of the skill should require an edge.

http://ageofruins.wordpress.com/2012/10/11/the-power-of-faith-in-the-age-of-ruins/

Thanks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lord Lance
Heroic


Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 1420
Location: Vicenza, Italy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the whole mechanic of the new skill as "wrong". It's almost useless 'cause probably you'll have in play few character with that skill higher than the linked characteristic, Spirit. So they'll end to keep rolling spirit when they need to resist fear etc.
Maybe you simply could trapping edges like Brave (+2 spirit to resist fear etc.) to "True Faith". So this "new" edge is useful to resist AND it opens the way to the other edges you created (which of course now should have True Faith as requirement).
Alternately, True Faith edge could give no resist bonuses, but simply give the Supernatural Notice thing and open the way to the other edges.

Of course, my 2 cents.
_________________
"Balance is the key, Trapping is the word." - - Lord Lance

Proud creator of the SAVAGE FREE BESTIARY
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GranFalloon
Veteran


Joined: 21 Mar 2007
Posts: 685

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it for the most part, though I wonder if perhaps it's a bit too much of a "catch-all" skill. I could be wrong. I've never been partial to "Cleric Classes," with flashy powers that basically prove, "These gods are real, and I am clearly a disciple of this particular one, and in good standing." I like some ambiguity, and your setup allows skeptics to say, "Well, that could have happened anyway."

I think Dauntless and Unyielding could be combined, as long as you make sure there are not too many sources of Faith Bonuses. The character will have to buy his Faith up past Spirit anyway, and then an edge to make it useful.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
CyricPL
Novice


Joined: 26 Mar 2010
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Lance wrote:
I feel the whole mechanic of the new skill as "wrong". It's almost useless 'cause probably you'll have in play few character with that skill higher than the linked characteristic, Spirit. So they'll end to keep rolling spirit when they need to resist fear etc. Maybe you simply could trapping edges like Brave (+2 spirit to resist fear etc.) to "True Faith". So this "new" edge is useful to resist AND it opens the way to the other edges you created (which of course now should have True Faith as requirement).
Alternately, True Faith edge could give no resist bonuses, but simply give the Supernatural Notice thing and open the way to the other edges.

Of course, my 2 cents.


Some good points. I find that my players do tend to put a few skills up really high and advance them one, maybe twice very early to get them at d12, and don't so much do that with attributes. That could be because we've only been playing SW for a few years and they are still getting the hang of the "right" way to make a character though.

I guess my primary thought in making it a skill was so that the abilities didn't rely on a diversity of traits, but I am thinking deeply about whether it should simply be a series of Edges.[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CyricPL
Novice


Joined: 26 Mar 2010
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GranFalloon wrote:
I like it for the most part, though I wonder if perhaps it's a bit too much of a "catch-all" skill. I could be wrong. I've never been partial to "Cleric Classes," with flashy powers that basically prove, "These gods are real, and I am clearly a disciple of this particular one, and in good standing." I like some ambiguity, and your setup allows skeptics to say, "Well, that could have happened anyway."

I think Dauntless and Unyielding could be combined, as long as you make sure there are not too many sources of Faith Bonuses. The character will have to buy his Faith up past Spirit anyway, and then an edge to make it useful.


I was concerned it may be to catch-all out of the gate as well. Do you think if the supernatural notice required an Edge to use that would mitigate it a bit?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ryche
Seasoned


Joined: 10 Apr 2010
Posts: 365

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Alternate Faith Rules Reply with quote

CyricPL wrote:
I'm especially torn about whether Dauntless/Unyielding should really be two separate edges or combined

Personally I would drop these two, seem to be pointless. In my groups, it would be unlikely that the Faith skill would be much higher than the character's Spirit. To get a d8 or d10 Faith, you most likely would have raised your Spirit close to that, otherwise you are killing a full advance on just raising one skill. Also, assume that he had a d6 Spirit and a d8 Faith, I would take Combat Reflexes and roll the lower on knowing I got a +2 to the roll.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CyricPL
Novice


Joined: 26 Mar 2010
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Alternate Faith Rules Reply with quote

R˙che wrote:
CyricPL wrote:
I'm especially torn about whether Dauntless/Unyielding should really be two separate edges or combined

Personally I would drop these two, seem to be pointless. In my groups, it would be unlikely that the Faith skill would be much higher than the character's Spirit. To get a d8 or d10 Faith, you most likely would have raised your Spirit close to that, otherwise you are killing a full advance on just raising one skill. Also, assume that he had a d6 Spirit and a d8 Faith, I would take Combat Reflexes and roll the lower on knowing I got a +2 to the roll.


Under the circumstances that I made it one edge with the D8 Faith requirement, given the other functions of the skill would it seem less pointless from your perspective? Under that circumstance the single edge would allow for all bonuses to the Spirit roll to overcome Shaken to also apply to the Faith, therefore the character would still be receiving the +2 bonus from Combat Reflexes when choosing to roll the higher die.

One of the reasons for making it a skill, from a general standpoint, ties pretty strongly into how I rewrote Holy Warrior. The problem that I was faced with was determining how to handle putting some control on Holy Warrior in a setting using the "No Power Points" rules. Making it an opposed Faith roll made sense to me, but I had already decided that Arcane Background: Miracles didn't really make sense in the setting since its spell list would consist of a grand total of 3 powers (Banish, Healing, and Greater Healing).

If I did rethink the entire "Faith" progression as a series of edges, does anyone have any suggestions how to handle Holy Warrior and how to handle the required rolls for Healing and Greater Healing?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ryche
Seasoned


Joined: 10 Apr 2010
Posts: 365

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternate Faith Rules Reply with quote

CyricPL wrote:
R˙che wrote:
CyricPL wrote:
I'm especially torn about whether Dauntless/Unyielding should really be two separate edges or combined

Personally I would drop these two, seem to be pointless. In my groups, it would be unlikely that the Faith skill would be much higher than the character's Spirit. To get a d8 or d10 Faith, you most likely would have raised your Spirit close to that, otherwise you are killing a full advance on just raising one skill. Also, assume that he had a d6 Spirit and a d8 Faith, I would take Combat Reflexes and roll the lower on knowing I got a +2 to the roll.


Under the circumstances that I made it one edge with the D8 Faith requirement, given the other functions of the skill would it seem less pointless from your perspective? Under that circumstance the single edge would allow for all bonuses to the Spirit roll to overcome Shaken to also apply to the Faith, therefore the character would still be receiving the +2 bonus from Combat Reflexes when choosing to roll the higher die.

I probably wouldn't take it unless my Faith was two dice steps or higher most likely. I would rather spend the advance raising my Spirit, to make it easier to raise Faith later.

I don't see an issue with the Faith skill, it looks like it will work for what you set out to do. I just think getting an edge to use my Faith vs Spirit for shaken tests isn't worth it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sitting Duck
Legendary


Joined: 15 May 2003
Posts: 5045
Location: Podunk Junction, State of Confusion

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a point of interest, some time back JackAce and I co-wrote an article on Religious Edges for the old Shark Bytes fanzine which may provide you with a viable alternative. I can't recall the specific issue, but it was one of the later ones. The back issues can be found at Savagepedia.
_________________
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.
Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com
The Gamer's Codex Reviewer
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
CyricPL
Novice


Joined: 26 Mar 2010
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting Duck wrote:
As a point of interest, some time back JackAce and I co-wrote an article on Religious Edges for the old Shark Bytes fanzine which may provide you with a viable alternative. I can't recall the specific issue, but it was one of the later ones. The back issues can be found at Savagepedia.


Thanks, I will look for that for sure!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CyricPL
Novice


Joined: 26 Mar 2010
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made some modifications and a small addition: http://ageofruins.wordpress.com/2012/10/13/a-bit-more-about-faith/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OSIAdept
Heroic


Joined: 19 Oct 2007
Posts: 1916

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had built an alternate Faith system using edges.

The topic might be floating around somewere
_________________
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/paintedsamurai

My online art portfolio
http://paintedsamurai.deviantart.com/

Black Stag Publishing
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Black-Stag-Publishing/223736847644167?sk=wall
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum