Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[FC] Fantasy Companion Loot Generator
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amaril
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigerguy786 wrote:
How about an item generator? I realize that's probably a big task, but it would be handy.
It already generates items.
Fantasy Companion Loot Generator
Raise Calculator
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Done! hit the drop down, select "Custom..." and enter your desired parameters. Smile

Feel free to suggest improvements to that particular section of the UI if you have any.

The gray numbers in the text fields suggest that they are default values. But if you click on "submit" with either the "d" or "$" fields still showing gray numbers, you get $NAN as a result.

Also if the gray "100" is shown in the magical item percentage field, a magic weapon never gets generated.

Either the gray numbers shouldn't be there or they should work just like any user inputted numbers.

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
Amaril
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderforge wrote:
Quote:
Done! hit the drop down, select "Custom..." and enter your desired parameters. Smile

Feel free to suggest improvements to that particular section of the UI if you have any.

The gray numbers in the text fields suggest that they are default values. But if you click on "submit" with either the "d" or "$" fields still showing gray numbers, you get $NAN as a result.

Also if the gray "100" is shown in the magical item percentage field, a magic weapon never gets generated.

Either the gray numbers shouldn't be there or they should work just like any user inputted numbers.
Fixed. I switched the attributes from placeholder to value. Placeholder is usually more instructional about the type of data you should enter but is automatically replaced by actual input, whereas value is an actual submittable value. Note that the former doesn't require you to manually clear the data before entering custom values, but the latter does.

My original intention was to show examples, but as you said, it was confusing.
Raise Calculator
tigerguy786
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amaril wrote:
tigerguy786 wrote:
How about an item generator? I realize that's probably a big task, but it would be handy.

I missed that. My apologies.
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

Clint wrote:
Common sense always trumps anything pretending to be an "overarching" rule.
Amaril
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigerguy786 wrote:
Amaril wrote:
tigerguy786 wrote:

I missed that. My apologies.

No worries. Please let me know what you think of it. Smile
Raise Calculator
The Dread Polack
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really dig it.

Because I dislike the way adventuring can be so much about loot, I haven't done random item generation in a while. Instead, I try to custom design magical treasure either as intended items for the PCs (often with their input, although I like to make it at least a little bit of a surprise), or as something important to the adventure. I hate the process of dragging magical gear to town, identifying it, and then selling it so you can save up for the next +1 for your sword. Lukily SW doesn't have to work this way.

On the other hand, your loot generator makes it so easy that it makes me want to throw in some random magical treasure to my games and see what they do with it. I think I've got them trained to the point where they'd likely try to find it's rightful owner, or a worthy recipient. Besides, its also fun to come up with a backstory to a piece of magical treasure.
Amaril
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dread Polack wrote:
I really dig it.
Thanks!

The Dread Polack wrote:
Because I dislike the way adventuring can be so much about loot, I haven't done random item generation in a while. Instead, I try to custom design magical treasure either as intended items for the PCs (often with their input, although I like to make it at least a little bit of a surprise), or as something important to the adventure. I hate the process of dragging magical gear to town, identifying it, and then selling it so you can save up for the next +1 for your sword. Lukily SW doesn't have to work this way.
I agree. In fact, I let players figure out the item through discovery (I always hated the identify spell.)

The Dread Polack wrote:
On the other hand, your loot generator makes it so easy that it makes me want to throw in some random magical treasure to my games and see what they do with it. I think I've got them trained to the point where they'd likely try to find it's rightful owner, or a worthy recipient. Besides, its also fun to come up with a backstory to a piece of magical treasure.

What I get most out of the items generated are inspirations for stories, even more so with Intelligent Relics. The combination of powers, Edges, and bonuses of some relics can sometimes tell a tale of their own, whether the item was created deliberately or through some epic effect of an action.

I also use it a baseline item to tweak with bonuses, powers or Edges that make sense for the item or for the majority of the other features.
Raise Calculator
Dylan S
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really something. Thanks for making it.
Amaril
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dylan S wrote:
This is really something. Thanks for making it.
Thanks. I've got another version I'm working on, but I'm facing some newbie issues with developing some of the features. What I've got working in this new version (net yet released) is the ability to add items generated to a database table I call the Reliquary. I've broken out the output results of the generator into distinct components (e.g., powers, Edges, skill bonuses, intelligence stats, etc.).

The difficulty I'm having is with searching it. I've got fields for most of the different features (e.g., has these powers, is intelligent, has this skill bonus, etc.), but I'm still banging away at getting the results I need.
Raise Calculator
Amaril
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So while I was easily able to get at submit function working, the search feature is a bust... for now. I just don't yet have the skills to implement it yet.

On the plus side, I did improve the mobile UI with a significant number of tweaks to the CSS and a simple use of the viewport meta tag. Apparently, it's a common mistake to omit it. It should render more gracefully across a wider range of mobile devices now, but there are still areas I could tweak to improve it further via a mobile-first design approach (i.e. - design for mobile devices as the baseline, and enhance for larger screens via CSS media queries).

Want to save or print an item you generate on a mobile device? I'm working on implementing a Google Cloud Print button. This will allow you to print to any printer you've configured with Cloud Print as well as printing a PDF to your Google Drive account.
Raise Calculator
Amaril
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never got the data storage going due to other factors demanding my time, but I have been reworking the design from the ground up to take on a mobile-first and content-first approach. This will allow the app to scale to any size screen appropriately rather than trying to squeeze it down to specific sizes and layouts.
Raise Calculator
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually design the magic items for my campaign, but last session I was improvising and the players went looting (and as the setting is Eberron magic items are fairly wide-spread), so I opened the loot generator in my browser...and every time I clicked "submit" it created the same item!

I've just tried it again with Chrome and it works fine, but when I use IE it just generates the same item over and over (although the amount of gold changes).
Amaril
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zadmar wrote:
I usually design the magic items for my campaign, but last session I was improvising and the players went looting (and as the setting is Eberron magic items are fairly wide-spread), so I opened the loot generator in my browser...and every time I clicked "submit" it created the same item!

I've just tried it again with Chrome and it works fine, but when I use IE it just generates the same item over and over (although the amount of gold changes).
I highly recommend avoiding the use of IE with this app, but I'll look into what might be causing that. I suspect it might be some form of JavaScript DOM manipulation that IE doesn't support. :/
Raise Calculator
Amaril
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amaril wrote:
Zadmar wrote:

I highly recommend avoiding the use of IE with this app, but I'll look into what might be causing that. I suspect it might be some form of JavaScript DOM manipulation that IE doesn't support. :/

I'm wondering if the issue with the same item appearing over and over was a lag in the response from the PHP for the actual item generation.

On an unrelated note, I've been exploring responsive design. Check out the dev instance on as many screen sizes as you have in your collection of computers and gadgets. I'd like to know how well the designs work at the various breakpoints.
Raise Calculator
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: