Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Savage Pandorum (Movie Spoilers)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chillburn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Savage Pandorum (Movie Spoilers) Reply with quote

So real quick, if you haven't seen the movie Pandorum and plan to, (it's a fun, violent SciFi movie, you should go watch it some time) then turn away now.

Spoiler Space (only one for thread)

Okay, so I'm starting up a SciFi game based on the movie Pandorum. It'll be set after the end of the movie and the characters will wake-up as their cryo-pods are ejected from the crashed space ship and they swim to the beach.

My first question is how to handle stating the Hunters/Eaters aboard the Elysium? These guys are VERY tough (it takes the three main characters working together to kill ONE, and they spend a lot of the movie running/hiding from them, which I want to emulate). High stats/toughness is easy, but given the kind of damage they take in the movies (one gets chopped in the head, the blade remaining embedded, and keeps fighting) I was thinking of making each a Wild Card. But that could easily be overkill and make things complicated if the group ever has to face a couple. So what about making them "Wild Extras" that have wounds like Wild Cards, but don't get their own bennies or a wild die? Thoughts?
Drue
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wounds, beni use, and the wild die give you a lot of flexibility for your extras. Don't limit your choices to full wild cards or stock extras.

Some examples (not everyone uses the same labels)
Mooks are incapacitated on any damaging attack that would cause a shaken result; may still be shaken by non-damaging effects, e.g. tricks

Hardy Extras: per standard rules; second shaken does not cause a wound, may only be incapacitated on a wound result

Tough Extras: four wounds to incapacitate, no wild die

Skilled Extras: one wound to incapacitate, uses wild die

Lucky Extras: one wound, no wild die, has a single beni

For wild cards, it's not so much a mechanical choice, but a question of story impact. How meaningful is the character to the progression of the story?

A few games back, my players had an equal number of skilled extras allies (one each) and faced down a horde of sixty zombie mooks closing in on a town the party was defending. I was more than a little concerned since almost the whole session was a combat encounter, but there were big grins all around when the last one dropped. If the zombies had been regular extras, the horde would only have been a bunch making for a pretty standard combat encounter.
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Savage Pandorum (Movie Spoilers) Reply with quote

chillburn wrote:
I was thinking of making each a Wild Card. But that could easily be overkill and make things complicated if the group ever has to face a couple. So what about making them "Wild Extras" that have wounds like Wild Cards, but don't get their own bennies or a wild die? Thoughts?

I agree, that sounds like the ideal option in this case. You might also find this thread of interest, in particular:

Quote:
The "competent extra" that some people favour (an Extra with a wild die) results in the fastest fights. A good choice for offering the players more of a challenge without dragging out the battles.

The "tough extra" (extra wound levels) is weaker, but results in the slowest fights. A good choice if you want an opponent who can survive longer, without making them too difficult for the players to beat.

The "lucky extra" (bennies) falls between the two, although without a wild die it's not so great at soaking, but the benny is particularly handy for removing Shaken status. Of course as a GM you'll probably have bennies of your own, so this may not be so important.
chillburn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm thinking of just giving them Hardy. That way they are can still be shaken (giving the group a chance to recover, regroup while fighting one), and I don't have to track wounds on individuals.

Thanks for the input guys.

More thoughts to come (specifically converting Sanity rules into rules for Pandorum).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: