Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Junker questions

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Janibala
Novice


Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Posts: 20

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Junker questions Reply with quote

Either my Search-Fu is weak, or these questions have not been answered in the forum or the rules errata.

1. Can you gain a browser of another type, even if you already have one?

Example: I have a appliance spirit at level 5. If I build enough devices (300 slots worth, all must be stability 20+) with the Healing power (which associates with Tool spirits), do I gain a possibility to get a Tool Browser? Or will the Appliance Browser just tell the weaker spirit to take a hike?

Also, IF it is possible to attract them, do I need to pay the bounty points for the browser, or is it a "freebie"?

2. The errata fixed a few mistakes in the book concerning Familiars. "Actually, most familiars are size 2, about the size of a cat or small dog. ". The book says "All familiars desire bodies of Frame size 4." Okay, the size is 2, but does it need to be size 2, or is it possible to make a larger one?

I'd like to make a Familiar, which would be the size of a bus. Is this possible? (My character's yearnin' is to gather enough members to start a Metal band and go to a tour with the convoy. A tour bus for a familiar would be awesome).

...I think it would be too easy to exploit (The familiar can power all the devices inside it, and does not suffer from Instability. Reactors that never fail and AV 10 shields to everyone with a side-dish of Death-Ray!)

My suggestion (comments would be nice): Familiars can be Size 2-6. Because if the Familiar is bigger than the Junker himself, the player should be the Familiar for the machine ;P


3. Can your browser recharge powerpacks / spirit batteries, which are used in devices that fall under the spirit's type?

Example: I have a Appliance Spirit at level 5. I have a Microwave oven (Made with Temperature) that has a powerpack built in. Can I recharge the powerpack with the spirit? Or can I make "Appliance Spirit Batteries" that can be used only in Appliance type devices?

And yes, most of these could be answered by "It is your marshall's call, he controls the game", but I'd like to check with other sources before I present the ideas to him.


If these questions are answered, I'll post the future inventions of my junker to the "Inspired Junking" thread.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fuzyfeet
Seasoned


Joined: 07 Sep 2005
Posts: 371
Location: Gilroy, Ca.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Junker questions Reply with quote

Janibala wrote:
1. Can you gain a browser of another type, even if you already have one?


Nothing under in the text for Spirit Browsers says you are restricted to one like Familiars. Honestly I never asked about that myself. I just kinda assumed you can have more than one with lines like "gain a new spirit buddy."

Janibala wrote:
2. The errata fixed a few mistakes in the book concerning Familiars. "Actually, most familiars are size 2, about the size of a cat or small dog. ". The book says "All familiars desire bodies of Frame size 4." Okay, the size is 2, but does it need to be size 2, or is it possible to make a larger one?


Can't remember if I discussed this one the forums but I had a player that asked how big a familiar can be. We talked for some time about it and agreed that as it reads, familiars want/require/are frame size 2. We did come up with the idea that player could increase the size of his familiar with an edge. Say a 1-5 point Edge that increased the Familier's frame size by one. Even with that, I wouldn't let a familiar be larger than an ape/motorcycle.

Janibala wrote:
...I think it would be too easy to exploit (The familiar can power all the devices inside it, and does not suffer from Instability. Reactors that never fail and AV 10 shields to everyone with a side-dish of Death-Ray!)


If your Marshal let you have that bus sized familiar then ya, but there are lots of exploits out there, it up to the Marshal to make sure it doesn't happen. As for the completely stable reactor, I built a familiar once that had a reactor in the extra dimensional space, and didn't even realize that.

Janibala wrote:
3. Can your browser recharge powerpacks / spirit batteries, which are used in devices that fall under the spirit's type?


It doesn't look like you can. It is so specific as to what it can power that I wouldn't believe that it you could. Personally I wouldn't allow it as a Marshal.
_________________
Ju Ju

Just my $0.02

My Deadlands sites
The Lynchburg Journal
The Junkyard Intranet
The Temptation Reportl
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Janibala
Novice


Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Posts: 20

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick answer Fuzyfeet. I'll post something in the Inspired junking thread in a short while. I have a few bigger devices in the drawboard (Like 99% risk-free reactor that can power a large town and the almost invincible tour bus), but they will take a while to finish.

More thoughts and answers on the subject would be appreciated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ScooterinAB
Seasoned


Joined: 22 Nov 2005
Posts: 488

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding multiple browsers, I'm positive you can have multiples. However, you can only ever have one of each type (no army of gun browsers).

For Familiars, the key to remember is that a Familiar isn't actually a device; it is a being. While it is housed in a mechanical body, it's not one of the Junker's toys to tinker with (more or less). A Familiar shouldn't be too much larger than a small animal, although I would personally flex up to something like a horse size. No Maze Dragon or Rattler Familiar. Also, it takes the form (roughly) of some animal (IIRC). So a bus wouldn't really be appropriate.

Fuzy is dead on about spirit batteries. I would go for a spirit fetter or Spirit Jack myself (and just plug batteries into my chest for recharging).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nerovipus
Novice


Joined: 15 Dec 2011
Posts: 19

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have one of each browser, once you have made 300 slots worth of gear with a stability of 20+ you can draw a card to see if you get one, they are freebies. Once you have a browser they can get stronger by makeing 300 more slots of gear (assosiated with the browser) with stability 20+ up to a max of level 5.
Familiars are "typicaly" size 2, but that between you and your martial.
As for the battries, what scooterinab posted sounds good.
_________________
All of us learn from pain, and mercy?, mercy is a waste of ammo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rungok
Novice


Joined: 09 May 2011
Posts: 44

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Junker questions Reply with quote

Fuzyfeet wrote:


Janibala wrote:
2. The errata fixed a few mistakes in the book concerning Familiars. "Actually, most familiars are size 2, about the size of a cat or small dog. ". The book says "All familiars desire bodies of Frame size 4." Okay, the size is 2, but does it need to be size 2, or is it possible to make a larger one?


Can't remember if I discussed this one the forums but I had a player that asked how big a familiar can be. We talked for some time about it and agreed that as it reads, familiars want/require/are frame size 2. We did come up with the idea that player could increase the size of his familiar with an edge. Say a 1-5 point Edge that increased the Familier's frame size by one. Even with that, I wouldn't let a familiar be larger than an ape/motorcycle.


Actually, You COULD build your familiar with a size 2 body, but include in it the right connectors and the commo power so it could 'plug into' your tour bus (You made that too, right?) and control it's locomotion, reactors, shield and flash gordon directly. Work arounds only require creative thinking.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sonicfox
Novice


Joined: 25 Oct 2012
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for charging. Yes it is possible. It's just not easy or fast.
There's an obscure rule in cyborgs that deals with charging spirit batteries.

Edit: after further thinking, I see where the others are coming from.
Since browsers have such a specific area of influence it's a tough call on if they could actually power a spirit battery. If felt like arguing with the marshal, you MIGHT be able to convince him a tool spirit could do it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum