Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Walking Dead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mad monkey
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Walking Dead Reply with quote

How do you run them? Slow-Night of the Living Dead, Fast-28 days later, Evil smart-Outpost, or some other way? From the HOER stats they look like normal thugs who are a bit tougher. Use guns and other weapons. I'd like to get a idea about how other folks have run them before I do. Very Happy
Fists-of-Dorn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re Reply with quote

Pretty much the way the entry explains: They're fast (d8 nimbleness after all, combined with being undead), but sometimes they play the slow arms-out shambling type to lure unwitting survivors into getting within range where the deader can run 'em down and feast on their brains.

The Manitous inhabiting the corpses aren't necessarily very smart, but they are cunning and evil. Give some consideration to the power of the Manitous inhabiting the deaders ( Take a look in the Cyborg book to learn more about the spirit values of the Manitous ) to get a feel for how to run them. If you have a scenario in mind ahead of time, just run with it. On the other hand if you are trying to generate something ahead of time, or on the fly, just follow the rules in the aforementioned Cyborgs book (p. 50) and draw up a card to determine the most powerful spirit value for that group of deaders. The more powerful the Manitou, the more cohesive the group may act because they have a powerful leader keeping them focused. On the other end of the spectrum, less powerful Manitous are likely to be easily separated when the posse freaks out and splits up- each ends up drawing a deader or two with him.

Plus you can modify their corporeal traits to better reflect the physical body the Manitou grabbed a hold of. A group of track and field high school athletes might have the d8 nimbleness, but added 2-4 ranks of the fleet-footed edge. These deaders roam about uncoordinated thanks to their less focused Manitous. In the same town a group of elderly veterans from an old folks home have taken over the local VFW post and booby-trapped it. These old bodies don't move so well as they used to, with the geezer hindrance slowing 'em down. These elder deaders are led by a powerful Manitou that has organized them and they lure scavengers into the VFW post by leaving signs around it to make so that scavvies think there's something worthwhile in it.

One town with multiple kinds of walkin' dead for the posse to happen across. Smile

-Fists.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Deadlands? Smart, vicious, bloodthirsty, and cruel criminals that happen to be dead cannibals.
They'll shuffle around saying "Brains" to make you think they're slow and dumb - until they eat your pancreas.

Walkin' Dead are random corpses animated by a playful manitou. He's just taking some toys out to play - and scaring humans until you eat their faces is his idea of fun.
Ray
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the mix like in the Left 4 Dead series. Some are slow and shambling, some are running right for you (And you're shooting at them calling "Zombie Bulls***!"), and some are...

Not exactly the Walking Dead. Twisted Evil
Amdramnar
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got to mix it up, otherwise zombies are boring. The slow zombies are scary only if you have dozens/hundreds. The fast ones are scary in different way.

It is especially fun to get them used to one type and just as they all start aiming for the head, it ducks and charges. Fun times.
mad monkey
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, gave me some good ideas. Players were a bit surprised when some of the zombies shot back at them. Smile
rungok
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The great thing about the manitou style walkin' dead is that they can be both shamblers and runners. Have a crowd o them in the distance playing shamblers. Maybe more than the posse can handle if they were right on top of them. Maybe one of the posse thinks they can snipe them down to size before they could shudder their asses over there.

Sure, the first one drops. No one SEES the manitou leave the body, scout out the posse, and tell his buddies in the 'herd' what's up. The 'herd' starts shambling towards them. The sniper takes one or two more out (Not significant in a crowd of 40) but by the time they get about half way, the 'herd' suddenly breaks into a full on sprint! (double pace score+Pick up the pace, who cares if some of them fall apart afterwards, right?) and swarm at them many times faster than expected. Watch the party dirty their britches, and see if they run.

In my first encounter with them, I myself nearly got my characters face chewed off by one we thought we had killed.

[Edit] I can spell, no really.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: