Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rippers- Character Generator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
huscarle
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject: Rippers- Character Generator Reply with quote

Anyone know of a Character Generator for Rippers setting. I've looked but only found the basic programme.

Thanks
Timon
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metacreator has Rippers as an option - I have not tried it personally as I only purchased the core rules and NE expansions. Metacreator has a bit of a learning curve due to a 70's-type windowed interface and I have struck four bugs in the NE implementation, so I cannot recommend it wholeheartedly, but it supports SW and Rippers.
huscarle
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked on the site but the want about 29.99 for it, unless I'm looking in the wrong place.
Timon
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are looking in the right place. I paid for it to save time genning up NE characters. Sad IMHO for the price they want the quality could be better. Their support people are active and helpful, but I would prefer to need them less.

There are in fact no freebie char generators AFAIK out there for SW. Basic SW chargen is too easy to make an app worthwhile: you only "need" it for the more complex setting rules like NE or Rippers.

The alternative is Fantasy Grounds, which has a good rep and supports Rippers, but the price is a hefty $51 ($24 for FG lite+$12 SW core ruleset + $15 Rippers Setting) and you are buying an engine for online tabletop play rather than just chargen.
huscarle
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found some you can do and print off that are free.

I'll stick with doing it myself.

Cheers
TheLoremaster
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timon wrote:
Metacreator has a bit of a learning curve due to a 70's-type windowed interface

Heh. In the '70s, we didn't even HAVE windows; we had text only interfaces connected to mainframes that took up a whole room ... and we LIKED it! Wink

I will say that the Metacreator implementation of Rippers went through much more feedback and testing than the NE stuff did, so it is much more error-free and useful. It would behoove you to at least download the demo and give it a shot. If it's still not what you are looking for, you're only out some time.

Also by comparison, $30 for software is cheap, especially for how much the software can actually do. But it certainly wouldn't hurt to give it a spin.
huscarle
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see the demo. I'll have another look
TheLoremaster
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huscarle wrote:
I didn't see the demo. I'll have another look

It's under the Free Stuff heading in the sidebar.

Enjoy!
Ogma
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, it looks like the Metacreator Rippers module uses the old rules (Str+1 for a knife versus Str+d4, for example) and I'm having a hell of a time figuring out how to push updated stats through...
TheLoremaster
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ogma wrote:
Unfortunately, it looks like the Metacreator Rippers module uses the old rules (Str+1 for a knife versus Str+d4, for example) and I'm having a hell of a time figuring out how to push updated stats through...

Make sure you have "Explorer's Edition Damage Rules" enabled in Game System Preferences. New datasheets have the Base Damage set appropriately, but earlier ones don't, so turning that option on lets Metacreator make the change dynamically. The Damage will still show the old style in the list, but once you add it to a character, it should be correct.

Hope that helps!
Ogma
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Didn't know that was a clickable option!
Other Mike
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLoremaster wrote:
Timon wrote:
Metacreator has a bit of a learning curve due to a 70's-type windowed interface

Heh. In the '70s, we didn't even HAVE windows; we had text only interfaces connected to mainframes that took up a whole room ... and we LIKED it! Wink

You're not kidding. Smile I believe only Xerox had windows in the 70's. MetaCreator's windows within a window did take a little getting used to, though I can't say I found the learning curve steep just to use the program. I use MetaCreator for most everything Savage Worlds (player character wise) now, and I've not run into any problems with the Rippers add in. For Villains though, I usually don't use the program. Instead, I print them on card stock, in a template about the size of a baseball card, and put them into the individual plastic baseball card holders for game play.

You can modify or create your own settings templates in MetaCreator ... but the learning curve to do that IS steep.

To me though, the power of the character sheet generator is where I find the real value. The generic ones that come with the program are not all that good, in my opinion, but with a little work, you can make very nice character sheets ... pretty much better than in any other character generator software I have used. Someday, I need to finish some of them off, and put them into the Yahoo files section for MetaCreator.
dartnet
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hero Lab has a data file for Rippers now. Mr. Green
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And when Wild Card Creator is released, it will let you import everything from a PDF copy for free.

So you've got plenty of programs to choose from!

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: