Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Choosing a Hindrance for a grumpy dwarf

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkStar
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Choosing a Hindrance for a grumpy dwarf Reply with quote

We just started playing Evernight (actually going with some free scenarios that I wanted to run first). One of the PCs is a dwarf and the player wants that guy to be grumpy, complaining about everything and everyone all the time. We are in a conflict as to which Hindrance would best describe such behavior. I have SWEX EN and SWEX PL, I noticed that the translated text differs just a little bit - under Quirk (Minor) in the English version it says "a dwarf may brag constantly about his culture" whereas in the Polish version it says that a dwarf may gripe about his brethren - which for sure would make it odd. But our dwarf complains about *everything*. So, I as the GM thought that this constant grumbling ought to be expressed as a Habit (Minor) with -1 to Charisma (as it drives people around crazy), while the player argues that it should be Quirk (Minor) instead. Is one of us right? Are we both right? How to handle it?
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just re-trap the Mean hindrance. The -2 Charisma comes from his surly personality and constant grumpy attitude.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Choosing a Hindrance for a grumpy dwarf Reply with quote

DarkStar wrote:
So, I as the GM thought that this constant grumbling ought to be expressed as a Habit (Minor) with -1 to Charisma (as it drives people around crazy), while the player argues that it should be Quirk (Minor) instead. Is one of us right? Are we both right? How to handle it?

Both are viable, each just has different consequences.

The minor Habit makes it harder for him to interact with others thus the -1 Charisma.

The minor Quirk makes it harder for him to go unnoticed, and since his actions don't affect his Charisma, folks don't take his grumbling seriously (perhaps even treating it as "cute").

To make it a bit clearer, the Habit is more controllable; as long as he doesn't interact with folks, his grumbling isn't an issue. The Quirk isn't controlled; it marks him by his constant grumbling. If someone is looking for him, he will be much easier to find.

Heck, it's theoretically possible for the character to have both the Habit and the Quirk, giving him a negative personality that always comes through.

www.peginc.com
Starhawk
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with "Quirk(minor): Constantly muttering under his breath."

If he's louder and more up front about his complaining, then I agree with SavageGamerGirl: use the Mean hindrance and re-name it to Grumpy.
Takeda
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starhawk wrote:
I would go with "Quirk(minor): Constantly muttering under his breath."

If he's louder and more up front about his complaining, then I agree with SavageGamerGirl: use the Mean hindrance and re-name it to Grumpy.

Seconded!

The Dwarf my wife plays has a Delusion: Minor (Everyone knows him ... is always presuming everyone if they know him (Well you know my reputation? <said as a statement> and operates as if they do.)
Sam: "Dude, you're not gonna poke her with a stick?"
Supernatural Quotes
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give him a secret addiction to ugly puppies
DarkStar
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I think that Mean takes it too far, the whole idea was to make a stereotypical dwarf who's a great fighter, not very smart, likes to drink, farts and grumbles all the time. Wink That was the player's vision and I don't care about punishing him with any negative mods - being new to Savage Worlds I just am not sure which Hindrance to pick. I think I will let him decide and it will have slightly different effect. I think it will be Quirk (Minor) (what Starhawk said).
Starhawk
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure to get him in trouble with it once in a great while.

A powerful NPC: "WHAT did you just say?!"

Sneaking through the woods at night: "Did you hear something from over there?"

Bwahahahaha.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: