Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bob's quick and easy home-made templates and Tokens

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robert4818
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Bob's quick and easy home-made templates and Tokens Reply with quote

This is the method I use for making quick templates and tokens for use in any game.

1. First Design your tokens in whatever program works for you. Since my artistic abilities are limited, I tend to simply use Powerpoint basic shapes, and clip art. This is really helpful for creating token sheets.

2. Print your tokens/templates. I prefer to use 110lb cardstock, but normal paper works just as well.

3. Purchase sheets of hobby foam with adhesive backs. Its fairly inexpensive.

4. Place the foam on the back of the printed pages.

5. Using a hobby knife, ruler, and cutting board, cut out your ready to use templates, tokens, etc.

(Using the foam gives the tokens enough height on the table to make them easy to pickup, I initially used plain printed cardstock, but found it to thin to get a good grip to pick up.)
TheLoremaster
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foam backing? Nice! I've used fender washers with a 1" hole punch to make counters for the same purpose, but a foam backing might be more cost effective.

Any tips on making 1" circular images in GIMP/Photoshop, or similar? That's what I've been struggling with.
robert4818
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLoremaster wrote:
Foam backing? Nice! I've used fender washers with a 1" hole punch to make counters for the same purpose, but a foam backing might be more cost effective.

Any tips on making 1" circular images in GIMP/Photoshop, or similar? That's what I've been struggling with.

Circular images in Gimp/Photo? Nope. Like I said, I use Power Point. It comes with handy dandy rulers along the side. (changeable from metric to US in Window's Control Panel). I use that to make 1" circles. Then I either copy/paste an image into the circle, or I "fill" the circle with the image I want in it.

Though, whenever possible, I make square markers. They are much easier to cut out instead of circles, even if they aren't quite as pretty.
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size are the foam sheets you're using? Reason I ask is because the few suppliers of adhesive foam sheets in my area only sell them in the 8-1/2 x 5-1/2 size.
robert4818
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronovan wrote:
What size are the foam sheets you're using? Reason I ask is because the few suppliers of adhesive foam sheets in my area only sell them in the 8-1/2 x 5-1/2 size.

I generally use those. We have some around (hobby lobby) that also sell sheets that range around 9 x 12.

The half sheets are not a problem at all. In fact, I find it to be easier to avoid bubbles with the 1/2 sheets instead of the full sheets. Also, I've not noticed any issues with templates/tokens that cross sheets.
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robert4818 wrote:
kronovan wrote:

I generally use those. We have some around (hobby lobby) that also sell sheets that range around 9 x 12.

The half sheets are not a problem at all. In fact, I find it to be easier to avoid bubbles with the 1/2 sheets instead of the full sheets. Also, I've not noticed any issues with templates/tokens that cross sheets.

Cool, I've had discussions with many download 'n' print wargamers about using foam for tokens and they've more or less said the same. I was more curious because from what I've been told the larger sheets are apparently where the price brake comes in. Unfortunately they just don't seem to be available anywhere in my city. I've costed out using the 8.5 x 5.5 sheets and it's ended up costing at least twice as much as my current token technique, and that's even inlcuding the cost of the spray adhesive I use. That wouldn't be a big deal for most gamers, but I'm always creating tokens for RPG's or wargames, so keeping costs down is important.

Another question; do you use a black permanent marker on the token edges? And if not, is the seam between the card and foam very noticeable? I ask, because a number of the foam token makers I've chatted with mentioned doing that.

I'll eventually post my technique, but I think I'm going to need some photos to really show it.
robert4818
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronovan wrote:
robert4818 wrote:
kronovan wrote:

Cool, I've had discussions with many download 'n' print wargamers about using foam for tokens and they've more or less said the same. I was more curious because from what I've been told the larger sheets are apparently where the price brake comes in. Unfortunately they just don't seem to be available anywhere in my city. I've costed out using the 8.5 x 5.5 sheets and it's ended up costing at least twice as much as my current token technique, and that's even inlcuding the cost of the spray adhesive I use. That wouldn't be a big deal for most gamers, but I'm always creating tokens for RPG's or wargames, so keeping costs down is important.

Another question; do you use a black permanent marker on the token edges? And if not, is the seam between the card and foam very noticeable? I ask, because a number of the foam token makers I've chatted with mentioned doing that.

I'll eventually post my technique, but I think I'm going to need some photos to really show it.

I don't use the marker, but I'm not personally overly concerned with Token appearance in looking "pretty". I go for instantly recognizable, but don't really concern myself with the over-all aesthetics. Unless I'm concerned with needing tokens to be "random" and hidden, I don't even focus on the foam backing being the same color. My tokens are generally, picture on white background on whatever color foam.

It all depends on what you are looking for with your tokens. I tend to focus on practicality.
Vinzent
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That green tool pictured will punch out 1" rounds and can be bought at Michaels. Makes for cutting out tokens a lot faster. (Technically that particular green one cuts them at .75" but I went smaller since I'm gluing to wooden rounds. They tools come in a variety of sizes).

Last edited by Vinzent on Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vinzent
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLoremaster wrote:

In Photoshop...
Make a new layer and select it.
Make sure you know the dpi of the image you are working on. For instance 96dpi is 96 pixels per inch.
Select the elliptical marquee tool
Along the top you should be able to select a "Style". Select "fixed size".
Then type in your dpi number example: width 96 px height 96 px
Now when you click on the workspace it will automatically create a circle selection to the specified size which should be 1 inch by 1 inch.
Fill that circle with black or whatever color you want as your border.
Then click Select>Modify>Contract and set that to about 3 px (if your at 96 dpi, more if you are at a higher resolution).
After the marquee is contracted, delete the selected. You should now have a 1" bordered circle.
robert4818
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some SW Templates ready for print and glue. Variety of things, including Swarms, Standard, Ice, Mystical, etc.

I've made them all using the above method.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/9hg4bz9uhgidla7/MiscTemplates.pdf
warrenss2
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any suggestions on how to make the cone template?

I am TOTALLY green at this.
robert4818
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warrenss2 wrote:

Since I make stuff in MS PowerPoint, cones are a pain. I do the following:

Copy the template from the PDF to Powerpoint (make sure both are set to 100% zoom size, it should come across right.)

Then you want to use the free hand polygon tool to trace the cone.

Delete the original cone.

Now you have to pick out the proper picture. This one is rough, and takes some artistic Eye.

To get the picture into the cone, There are two primary approaches I use.

Easiest: Play with the "Fill Options" in power point. You'll want to fill with the copied or saved image, then play with the various options until y ou get what you Want.

Transparency Option. Put your cone on square of a different color. Copy both the cone and the square and paste into Paint. Immediately Ctrl+C (without doing anything else) and repaste into PP. This puts a "Picture" of your shapes into PP, and allows you to set transparency color to that of the cone. If you have the image behind it on the slide, you can then adjust the angle of the cone to capture exactly what you want.
Vinzent
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warrenss2 wrote:

Out of curiosity, why would you need more cone templates?
warrenss2
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to come up with a Left 4 Dead Boomer "vomit" template.

I want to make up some Left 4 Dead stuff for SW & Showdown.

I'm still looking for a good type of barf picture/filler for the cone and bursts templates.
sirdrasco
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I need some for Nec. Evil. Like the wood disk idea, just need Pow!, Biff!, Crush! ballons to cut out.

Playing a Steampunk, I Got gears for Bennies, Bullet shells for wounds, bent dial pointers for shaken, and a Steam punkish deck of cards. Still trying to figure what to use for shaken.
"Blast I hate squid for dinner."
"But the cook has a new recipe.."
DHRDawg
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made some Left 4 Dead Boomer and Spitter templates for a game I ran this past year. The Boomer Bile I made into a Cone and a Large Burst template (for when he 'splodes!) and the Spitter is a Medium Burst template. I forgot where I got the stats, I googled it and found them.

I'll email you what I have.
DHRDawg
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a jpg of them...

warrenss2
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised Surprised Surprised

We think too much a like.
DHRDawg
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warrenss2 wrote:
Surprised Surprised Surprised

We think too much a like.

I was just gonna say that! Very Happy
Hope it helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: