Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cerberus Monster

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
tigerguy786
Veteran


Joined: 26 Nov 2011
Posts: 557

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Cerberus Monster Reply with quote

Here's my idea:

Cerberus Monster
Attributes: A d8 SMA d6(A) SPI d8 STR d10 V d8
Skills: Fighting d8, Notice d10
Pace: 8 Parry: 6 Toughness: 8
Special Abilities
-Fiery Breath- Cone Template, 2d10 damage, agility roll to avoid it
-Multiple Heads- Halve any gang up bonus against the beast, it can also perform 3 actions in a turn at no penalty, bonus to notice
-Fleet Footed- d10 running die
-Size +2

What do you think? It would be obscenely powerful to allow it to do 3 breath attacks in one turn, but it would also make a fair amount of sense.
_________________
TIGER, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

Clint wrote:
Common sense always trumps anything pretending to be an "overarching" rule.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zadmar
Heroic


Joined: 10 Nov 2010
Posts: 1996
Location: Munich

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool concept. Presumably the bite would inflict Str+d6 damage?

Personally I'd be tempted to treat the multiple heads as a three-attack version of Improved Frenzy, with three fighting dice and a single wild die. That would make it faster to resolve attacks, as you could roll them all at the same time.

If you don't want multiple cone templates for the fiery breath, you could say that the cone template represents all three heads breathing fire simultaneously - or you could rule that only one head can breathe fire (or only one at a time), perhaps because the three heads share a single stomach.

I'd probably give Cerberus the Awareness edge as well, to better reflect his role in Greek mythology.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ValhallaGH
Legendary


Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Posts: 5919

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find myself wanting to second most of what Zadmar says (which is becoming a regular thing). Especially the Cool Concept part.

Stats seem to be simply an upgraded dog (bigger, stronger, healthier). That's pretty cool.

Complaints:
Needs a bite attack. It's wrong that the fire-breathing three-headed dog counts as an unarmed defender.
Like dragons, fire breath should be the only attack action they can take - leaves room for other things like Intimidation or Running. (Yeah, I do like the idea of sprint and burn.)
Multi-biting is probably less super-deadly as a frenzy-like attack rather than as a three-fisted attack. But the method you chose is pretty flipping awesome.

Overall: Excellent start.
_________________
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tigerguy786
Veteran


Joined: 26 Nov 2011
Posts: 557

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zadmar wrote:
Cool concept. Presumably the bite would inflict Str+d6 damage?

Personally I'd be tempted to treat the multiple heads as a three-attack version of Improved Frenzy, with three fighting dice and a single wild die. That would make it faster to resolve attacks, as you could roll them all at the same time.

If you don't want multiple cone templates for the fiery breath, you could say that the cone template represents all three heads breathing fire simultaneously - or you could rule that only one head can breathe fire (or only one at a time), perhaps because the three heads share a single stomach.

I'd probably give Cerberus the Awareness edge as well, to better reflect his role in Greek mythology.


Thanks for the kind words.

I like the Tri-Frenzy idea. Makes life a lot easier.

I will likely rule that he can do only one fire breath attack.

Awareness is a built into the "Three Heads" special rule. It doesn't specify the bonus, though. Oops... I meant for it to be +2 like awareness

ValhallaGH wrote:
I find myself wanting to second most of what Zadmar says (which is becoming a regular thing). Especially the Cool Concept part.

Stats seem to be simply an upgraded dog (bigger, stronger, healthier). That's pretty cool.

Complaints:
Needs a bite attack. It's wrong that the fire-breathing three-headed dog counts as an unarmed defender.
Like dragons, fire breath should be the only attack action they can take - leaves room for other things like Intimidation or Running. (Yeah, I do like the idea of sprint and burn.)
Multi-biting is probably less super-deadly as a frenzy-like attack rather than as a three-fisted attack. But the method you chose is pretty flipping awesome.

Overall: Excellent start.


Thanks to you as well.

I'm glad you noticed what I intended with his stats. He is after all just a big dog. If I had copied things more closely I wouldn't have forgotten the Bite attack. Oops. Embarassed

Now, how about the Fire attack: Does the monster make a roll, or is it a simple agility test after placing the template?

So, the next question I need to answer is 3 actions a turn or tri-frenzy? I really like the idea of it being able to Intimidate, Fire Breath and bite something all in the same turn (I know that's REALLY powerful, but the Cerberus should be damn hard to kill)

I also forgot a fear ability. A giant 3 headed dog is scary...maybe even terrifying (Fear -2)
_________________
TIGER, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

Clint wrote:
Common sense always trumps anything pretending to be an "overarching" rule.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ValhallaGH
Legendary


Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Posts: 5919

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to help.
tigerguy786 wrote:
Now, how about the Fire attack: Does the monster make a roll, or is it a simple agility test after placing the template?

A simple Agility roll is easier for the GM to run and doesn't require a dog to have a Shooting skill. The opposed roll (like burst) is a lot more likely to deal damage.

Quote:
So, the next question I need to answer is 3 actions a turn or tri-frenzy? I really like the idea of it being able to Intimidate, Fire Breath and bite something all in the same turn (I know that's REALLY powerful, but the Cerberus should be damn hard to kill)

I'd split the difference - Tri-Frenzy with No Mercy. Wink
Aside: Is this supposed to be THE Cerberus or A cerberus monster?

Quote:
I also forgot a fear ability. A giant 3 headed dog is scary...maybe even terrifying (Fear -2)

Remember, the penalty is the difference between a monster who's memory can haunt you for life (phobias) and a monster that can kill you from fright (heart attack). Also, a -4 or larger penalty completely eliminates the Adrenaline Surge entry from the table.
_________________
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tigerguy786
Veteran


Joined: 26 Nov 2011
Posts: 557

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:
Glad to help.
tigerguy786 wrote:
Now, how about the Fire attack: Does the monster make a roll, or is it a simple agility test after placing the template?

A simple Agility roll is easier for the GM to run and doesn't require a dog to have a Shooting skill. The opposed roll (like burst) is a lot more likely to deal damage.

Quote:
So, the next question I need to answer is 3 actions a turn or tri-frenzy? I really like the idea of it being able to Intimidate, Fire Breath and bite something all in the same turn (I know that's REALLY powerful, but the Cerberus should be damn hard to kill)

I'd split the difference - Tri-Frenzy with No Mercy. Wink
Aside: Is this supposed to be THE Cerberus or A cerberus monster?

Quote:
I also forgot a fear ability. A giant 3 headed dog is scary...maybe even terrifying (Fear -2)

Remember, the penalty is the difference between a monster who's memory can haunt you for life (phobias) and a monster that can kill you from fright (heart attack). Also, a -4 or larger penalty completely eliminates the Adrenaline Surge entry from the table.


It's potentially for Rippers. A demon dog reminiscent of Cerberus that will be hyped as THE Cerberus.

I didn't realize the penalty made that big of a difference, I suppose I'll just go with a simple Fear test
_________________
TIGER, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

Clint wrote:
Common sense always trumps anything pretending to be an "overarching" rule.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
supercOntra
Seasoned


Joined: 24 Dec 2006
Posts: 474
Location: RT 90 X=6166863.0 Y=1323212.0

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could assume the heads cooperate when doing the fire breathing in order to get the full effect.

That way it's easy to describe when they need to duck.
"It puts its heads together and inhales"
_________________
"Eyes without life…sundered heads…piles of carcasses…these are pleasing words to me"
http://www.savageslaine.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ValhallaGH
Legendary


Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Posts: 5919

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigerguy786 wrote:
ValhallaGH wrote:
Remember, the penalty is the difference between a monster who's memory can haunt you for life (phobias) and a monster that can kill you from fright (heart attack). Also, a -4 or larger penalty completely eliminates the Adrenaline Surge entry from the table.

I didn't realize the penalty made that big of a difference, I suppose I'll just go with a simple Fear test

Yep. It's because the penalty is added to the d20 roll if they fail:
d20 + 0 = normal fear result (20% chance of Adrenaline Surge, 0% chance of Heart Attack)
d20 + 1 = Fear (-1) (15% chance of Adrenaline Surge, 5% chance of Heart Attack)
d20 + 3 = Fear (-3) (5% chance of Adrenaline Surge, 15% chance of Heart Attack)

The impact of a simple +/- 1 on Savage Worlds is pretty amazing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tigerguy786
Veteran


Joined: 26 Nov 2011
Posts: 557

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

supercOntra wrote:
You could assume the heads cooperate when doing the fire breathing in order to get the full effect.

That way it's easy to describe when they need to duck.
"It puts its heads together and inhales"


And would be a good cause to make the agility test at -2 penalty Twisted Evil

Maybe if I'm feeling REALLY evil, I'll even let it do three cone templates worth of Fire...but no. That's just plain nasty
_________________
TIGER, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

Clint wrote:
Common sense always trumps anything pretending to be an "overarching" rule.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tigerguy786
Veteran


Joined: 26 Nov 2011
Posts: 557

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should he be bigger? Right now He's the size of a bear. That seems quite large, but I like my monsters to be obscenely big.
_________________
TIGER, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

Clint wrote:
Common sense always trumps anything pretending to be an "overarching" rule.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lord Lance
Heroic


Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 1416
Location: Vicenza, Italy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please notice that giving +4 Size (Large) to your creature, it COULD make the thing even easier for your players... Cool Surprised
This 'cause they have +2 to fighting it, while the monster has -2 to hit them.
However, +4 Size usually = d12+4 Strength, and +4 Toughness (so 10 total).
I'd add a couple of point of armor, (heavy fur? bony plates?), for a total of 12 (2) Toughness.
_________________
"Balance is the key, Trapping is the word." - - Lord Lance

Proud creator of the SAVAGE FREE BESTIARY
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tigerguy786
Veteran


Joined: 26 Nov 2011
Posts: 557

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. I'll go Size +3. That should be sufficient. Maybe bump his strength to d12. This monster isn't about hitting super hard, it's about hitting a lot and throwing lots of curveballs at the players.
_________________
TIGER, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

Clint wrote:
Common sense always trumps anything pretending to be an "overarching" rule.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ValhallaGH
Legendary


Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Posts: 5919

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigerguy786 wrote:
Good point. I'll go Size +3.

Watch out for Giant Killer.
Our half-elf routinely did 2d6 damage, but he picked up Giant Killer. When we fought a bunch of drakes and dragons, he was hitting consistently with a raise, for 4d6 damage almost all the time.
_________________
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tigerguy786
Veteran


Joined: 26 Nov 2011
Posts: 557

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:
tigerguy786 wrote:
Good point. I'll go Size +3.

Watch out for Giant Killer.
Our half-elf routinely did 2d6 damage, but he picked up Giant Killer. When we fought a bunch of drakes and dragons, he was hitting consistently with a raise, for 4d6 damage almost all the time.


Fair enough.
_________________
TIGER, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

Clint wrote:
Common sense always trumps anything pretending to be an "overarching" rule.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum