Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with Deadlands Reloaded Adventures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mysticknight232
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Help with Deadlands Reloaded Adventures Reply with quote

I just recently purchased Deadlands Reloaded PHB and Marshal's Handbook and am in the process of reading through them (so far they are amazing). This is my first experience with Deadlands so I am completely new to the genre. That being said, everybody has heard of ghost rock and Coffin Rock.

My question is this: I want to purchase a PDF adventure found on this website and I am looking for opinions and suggestions about which adventure would be fun to run for my friends as first time Deadlands cowpokes. Also, is there any place out there that ranks the adventures or gives opinion/synopsis on them? I'm only concerned with the reloaded game as that is what I purchased.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate all the opinions.
PlatinumWarlock
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, welcome to the Weird West! Enjoy your stay!

For a good intro adventure, try checking out the various Deadlands "one-sheet" adventures, found on the Pinnacle main site. There are plenty of great, archetypal Deadlands adventures there which cover all sorts of supernatural goodness.

Once you've done those, and if you've gotten your group hooked, maybe try one of the Plot Point campaigns. I just wrapped up a year-long campaign of "The Flood" and had an utter blast. But, if you're going the plot-point route, be wary! They're LONG!
mysticknight232
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be running them through Devil's Night in a couple of weeks. That's a bit more than a one shot, but it will provide plenty of interaction and RPing opportunities.

What's the difference between a Plot Point campaign and a full adventure?
PlatinumWarlock
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where a single adventure--"Coffin Rock", for example--might last a few sessions, a Plot Point Campaign can run for months, if not years.

When I ran "The Flood", we held regular sessions 3-4 times monthly for 4-5 hours a piece. I ran that game for 13 months, and still didn't get through everything in the book--we left over half of the side-quests on the table, and did next to nothing with the Mexican-American War. We could have easily gone for another year in that campaign.

Also, PPCs tend to move ahead the meta plot of Deadlands. They push forward big, climactic events that change how the game world works. Regular adventures rarely do that.
Clash957
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any of the Deadlands Reloaded Adventures such as Blood Drive or Coffin Rock, but it is my impression that they are a series of adventures dealing with a smaller scope than that of the Plot Point books. I believe in the case of Blood Drive is more like a smaller scope campaign where the posse have hired on as cowboys trying to get a heard of beeves to market. Coffin Rock is a bunch of things that happen in the frontier town of Coffin Rock. Again, I don't have any of these so this is more a guess from reviews and product info than actual, factual info.

The Plot Point books (The Flood and The Last Sons) as major setting altering campaigns tied to a particular region of the Weird West. The Flood taking place in California and The Last Sons the Disputed Lands and Indian Nations (Sioux and Coyote). The Plot Point is a series of adventures that Posse accomplish more or less at their own pace. The books also have more than 30 Savage Tales which are adventures that can take place between Plot Point adventures. Most are dependent on location within the campaign, though many can be moved to fit the Marshal's game. Some Savage Tales are longer than One-Sheet Adventures but many are much shorter and all require a little work on the Marshal's end to fill in the details. In addition, the Plot Point books have adventure generators to help the Marshal create original adventures for the Campaign.

Currently, I'm running a game from The Flood Plot Point book. I figure the posse will have at least 30 adventures if they want to complete the campaign. I figure 1/3 to 1/2 will be original adventures either from the character back story or the adventure generator. About 1/3 of the adventures purely being the Plot Point itself. The remaining being Savage Tales that the Posse is either interested in or happened to be near the area they take place.

Picking between The Flood and The Last Sons Plot Points here are my two cents. The Great Maze is a neat place, but it doesn't feel really western-y to me with ironclads ships, strange cults, Chinese Pirates and Martial Artists, etc. The Great Maze feels more about exploration/survival and fighting pirates and monsters between city-state nations more akin to say a more traditional fantasy game. The Last Sons on the other hand, feels much more cowboy and Indian in tone with many more common western themes. It also covers far more area and has more adventures and deals with a few historical persons.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Deadlands Reloaded Adventures Reply with quote

Welcome! Both to the forums and to one of my three favorite RPG settings.
mysticknight232 wrote:
My question is this: I want to purchase a PDF adventure found on this website and I am looking for opinions and suggestions about which adventure would be fun to run for my friends as first time Deadlands cowpokes. Also, is there any place out there that ranks the adventures or gives opinion/synopsis on them? I'm only concerned with the reloaded game as that is what I purchased.

Try the one-sheet adventures. They're designed for a single night of gaming, they can be inserted (or woven) into a larger campaign, they're self-contained (with all monster stats included), they make good introductions to the setting (such as at conventions), and they are fun. They are also free, making them a no brainer to at least look at.

As for the purchasable adventures, there are three categories: Plot Points, Series, and Stand Alone.
Plot Point campaigns are many months of potential adventures woven around a core plot that ties into the setting metaplot. They are structured to accomplish really big things, but leave a lot of room for you to customize the plot to fit your players and their characters. As indicated, each one can provide years of regular gaming.
Series adventures, like the Blood Drive line, are a short campaign of several pre-published adventures. These are similar to traditional adventure paths and published campaigns for other systems - run adventure 1, then adventure 2, and then adventure 3. All the ones PEG has released are a lot of fun; specific details can be found on each product page.
Stand Alone adventures, such as Coffin Rock, Murder on the Hellestrome Express, and Don't Drink the Water, are large published adventures designed to fill multiple sessions without being an entire campaign. They can be part of a larger campaign (including being a side-story, or 'savage tale', for a plot point campaign) or can be self-contained. Specific details can be found on the product pages, or in this thread.

Good luck!
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also the Classic adventures, many of which have Classic to Reloaded conversions available here. They fall into either the series or standalone adventures and are often cheaper than Reloaded ones, but you have to reference the conversion document. Pinnacle hasn't released any additional Classic to Reloaded conversions for a while, but I know they've got some in the pipleline (I've submitted some myself).

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
mysticknight232
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what im looking for is more along the lines of a series adventure from the sounds of it. While neat, the plot point books are a tad expensive and im not looking for years worth of stuff to fill in the blanks with. Im more looking for complete prepublished adventure thatll take a few months to several months.
Cutter XXIII
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mysticknight232 wrote:
I think what im looking for is more along the lines of a series adventure from the sounds of it. While neat, the plot point books are a tad expensive and im not looking for years worth of stuff to fill in the blanks with. Im more looking for complete prepublished adventure thatll take a few months to several months.

Now that we've released the third one, I'd say the Blood Drive trilogy might be just about perfect for your needs.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutter XXIII wrote:
mysticknight232 wrote:

Now that we've released the third one, I'd say the Blood Drive trilogy might be just about perfect for your needs.

Cutter is probably correct.
I'd also take a look at Coffin Rock and Return to Manitou Bluff (for Legendary posses). While they're both in the Stand Alone category, they're very "sandbox" designs, allowing the main elements to be wrapped up in a couple of session or over many months. The specifics are going to vary amongst groups and play styles.

Good luck!
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coffin Rock is specifically for Novice characters (0 XP to 20 XP), Return to Manitou Bluff is specifically for Legendary characters (80 XP+), Blood Drive is in the middle. I suggest Coffin Rock to start off new players with as it's designed for Novice characters and includes a lot of quintessential elements (and even includes a Deadland, which is much rarer than you'd think considering the name of the setting). After that, moving to the Blood Drive trilogy would be a great transition.

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderforge wrote:
Coffin Rock is specifically for Novice characters (0 XP to 20 XP), Return to Manitou Bluff is specifically for Legendary characters (80 XP+), Blood Drive is in the middle.

Rereading my post, I'm glad you clarified that. Otherwise, I see how it could be confusing.

Thanks!
mysticknight232
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the continued responses. I appreciate the feedback. I had thought about Coffin Rock as a beginner adventure as it was a term/location I was familiar with long before I knew what deadlands even was. I think it likely that I will start with that one once I round up my posse and get them ready for this.

I recently ran them through The Mutator one sheet to introduce them to savage worlds and they liked the system and the one sheet. I'm a huge fan of savage worlds even though I only learned about the system this past summer. Deadlands was great to read through as we'll and I can't wait to play it regularly. Having been a DnD player exclusively for the past 12 years, I am so pleased to have found a system that is easy to learn but has the complexity of rules for everything if you need it. TN 4 is my favorite part, especially coming from the sliding scale that dnd 4e has. Bennies are also an amazing concept as well. Sorry , I know this wasn't a savage worlds thread but I just had to share with you guys just how much I love this system! Again, thanks for you comments and advice regarding the adventures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: