Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some undead issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Hey Pinnacle!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SlasherEpoch
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:03 pm    Post subject: Some undead issues Reply with quote

Shane, you've probably had more run-ins with the Undead than any of us. So, in lieu of all your research and knowledge, I pose the following questions:

1. Even if shotguns don't kill vampires, what would two barrels to the face do?

2. Could I realistically fill a zombie full or railroad spikes and send it at my players with instructions to hug? Or would there be too many ill effects from the spikes?

3. Would a full clip of 7.62 mm hollowpoint to the chest do anything to a zombie?

4. Flaming zombies? Your thoughts and advice?

5. Suppose I fire a .44 Magnum dum-dum at a vampire's heart. Even with the -6 penalty, I hit it. Should heart removal be enough to kill it?

6. Now, how does one go about chopping something to bits under Savage Worlds rules (a la Return of the Living Dead)?

Evil Wig Enterprises Minion #15 - "The
Machete"
palehorse
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love me some zombies, so I'll chip in my pair of Lincoln-heads here..

Quote:

I'd say this depends on how 'supernatural' you want your vampires to be. Dracula style vamps might be completely unharmed, on one end of the spectrum; on the other, look at the vamps in Near Dark: a blast to the face would probably blow it completely off, though it'd still keep coming for you, even with only one eyeball hanging down on it's cheek and a dripping, fist sized chunk taken out of its head...

Quote:
. Could I realistically fill a zombie full or railroad spikes and send it at my players with instructions to hug? Or would there be too many ill effects from the spikes?

Realistic? Who cares! It sounds pretty darn cool to me, so I say go for it. Try wrapping one in razor wire before you send him out, too; its fun for the whole family!

Quote:
3. Would a full clip of 7.62 mm hollowpoint to the chest do anything to a zombie?

Well, if you manage to completely sever the spinal column, it'd probably blow him in half, and the top would keep on comin' (a la Dungeon Crawl!). Otherwise, it'd make a big ol' mess and that's probably it. (Personally I like the first one, of course... blowing something in half and having it keep on coming after you is pretty off-putting, I'd think.)

Quote:

Give 'em three rounds or so before they fall over completely cooked through (stick a fork in him: he's done); anyone they grapple with has to check and see if they catch fire.

Quote:
5. Suppose I fire a .44 Magnum dum-dum at a vampire's heart. Even with the -6 penalty, I hit it. Should heart removal be enough to kill it?

See answer to #1, though I can't imagine a single time when I'd let this one by. Even a .44 to the heart wouldn't guarantee complete removal. If you've got the stomach for it, check out Vernon Geberth's excellent "Practical Homicide Investigation"; aside from being a standard textbook for homicide detectives (and thus an invaluable resource for any kind of police-style wrriting or gaming) it's full from cover to cover with crime scene photographs, showing exactly what different weapons can do to the human body... Just don't eat before you do.

Quote:
6. Now, how does one go about chopping something to bits under Savage Worlds rules (a la Return of the Living Dead)?

Well, for a zombie game, you don't want to make it TOO difficult; I'd say a called shot on a limb, with a raise on damage, would do the trick.
PEGShane
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Some undead issues Reply with quote

Be warned. Opinions ahead. Field tests on zombies are few. Wink

SlasherEpoch wrote:
Shane, you've probably had more run-ins with the Undead than any of us. So, in lieu of all your research and knowledge, I pose the following questions:

3d6+4 damage. Wink

2. Could I realistically fill a zombie full or railroad spikes and send it at my players with instructions to hug? Or would there be too many ill effects from the spikes?

I've done it myself. Highly encourage it. It's also good to have them roll around in broken glass first. I recommend Str+1 damage, victim is automatically Shaken with a successful grapple. Not particularly deadly, but very painful so you'll "reel" for a second or two.

2d8+1 x 10 damage. Wink

I love to see my friends turn their foes into flaming foes. Successful touch attack has a chance to set the character alight (5-6 on a d6, I think? No book handy).

I'd say no in most games. Vamps are legendary, and the legend says wood. In Blade-type games, give it +4 damage and let the dice decide.

Always a tough one in any game system. Also VERY troublesome for players. I'd divide the thing into four distinct parts--body, head, and hands (creeping feet never killed anyone, and a hopping ass is just silly). The body isn't down until you chop it up (let it go "down" from "shock" for a round or two while it "recuperates.) If you chop it up, the hands start coming after you while the head screams (Taunt or Intimidate to shake you and set you up for the relatively weak hand attacks).

Shane
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Some undead issues Reply with quote

PEGShane wrote:
Be warned. Opinions ahead. Field tests on zombies are few. Wink

SlasherEpoch wrote:

3d6+4 damage. Wink

I've done it myself. Highly encourage it. It's also good to have them roll around in broken glass first. I recommend Str+1 damage, victim is automatically Shaken with a successful grapple. Not particularly deadly, but very painful so you'll "reel" for a second or two.

2d8+1 x 10 damage. Wink

I love to see my friends turn their foes into flaming foes. Successful touch attack has a chance to set the character alight (5-6 on a d6, I think? No book handy).

I'd say no in most games. Vamps are legendary, and the legend says wood. In Blade-type games, give it +4 damage and let the dice decide.

Always a tough one in any game system. Also VERY troublesome for players. I'd divide the thing into four distinct parts--body, head, and hands (creeping feet never killed anyone, and a hopping ass is just silly). The body isn't down until you chop it up (let it go "down" from "shock" for a round or two while it "recuperates.) If you chop it up, the hands start coming after you while the head screams (Taunt or Intimidate to shake you and set you up for the relatively weak hand attacks).

Shane

We had a zombie's head roll over and bite a character on the ankle last week! I like the "screaming head" idea - hadn't even considered that!
Kain A. Ashburner
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Aside from the damage, it would probably knock them onto the floor too or at least knock them back. It IS a shotgun after all.

Quote:

Heart Removal wouldn't kill them, it'll just make them invincble. However, they would die within 24 hours without it... they'd just be immune to stakes and things that could normally kill them until then. Kinda like a Vampire Kamakazi...
DannyboyO1
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kain A. Ashburner wrote:
Quote:

Aside from the damage, it would probably knock them onto the floor too or at least knock them back. It IS a shotgun after all.

And if nothing else, they'd blink. But there's one thing nobody ever thinks of in these cases. You're sorta throwing sand in their eyes. High caliber sand. I'd think they'd have vision problems for a few rounds. I mean, regenerating eyes, getting the grit out... I think it'd be at least as nasty as a regular person dealing with sand in the eyes.

Kain A. Ashburner wrote:
Quote:

Heart Removal wouldn't kill them, it'll just make them invincble. However, they would die within 24 hours without it... they'd just be immune to stakes and things that could normally kill them until then. Kinda like a Vampire Kamakazi...

Saw that episode of Angel. Nice theory... but it depends on the vampire. Deadlands nosferatu are paralyzed by a severed spine. The heart's not particularly relevant. I remember a good Bureau 13 book involving a vampire dying when its heart was staked... even though it'd been blown out of its chest. And, if I remember white wolf's vamp rules, they get stunned by a stake to the heart, and some learn to *remove* the dang things. I wonder if they chuckle at the song "I left my heart in San Francisco"
SlasherEpoch
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember in From Dusk Till Dawn where they ripped a vamp's heatr out then stabbed it with a pencil?

Evil Wig Enterprises Minion #15 - "The
Machete"
Psykoguy
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a fun idea is a zombie that's taken so much damage, all that's left is the spine and head, something about seeing a head moving like a worm with it's spinal column seems just too cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
marshal kt
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn, i can't believe you guys missed the obvious vampire answer.

what does he do if he gets 2 shotgun blasts to the face?

well. if he'd like george hamilton in that piss poor movie he did, i'd say he'd make an appointment with his plastic surgeon. then after the operation, he'd go get a tan.

am i the only 1 who remembers him as dracula or what ever vampire he played? it was hysterical.

non, the real question is; is dick clark a vampire or a mummy?

i always thought the former, but i saw an episode of either snl or mad tv, and it made me think otherwise..
Psykoguy
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, dick clark is a sorcerer who absorbs the souls of the weak to survive
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
marshal kt
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no that's gotta be wrong psykoguy. there's so many weak around that he'd blow up and die. i mean it's like letting homer simpson loose in a donut and beer factory.
Psykoguy
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, the ritual involves taking small bits of their souls over a short period of time, he does this every december 31st in times square
Lemming
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marshal kt wrote:
*Snip*
what does he do if he gets 2 shotgun blasts to the face?

well. if he'd like george hamilton in that piss poor movie he did, i'd say he'd make an appointment with his plastic surgeon. then after the operation, he'd go get a tan.

am i the only 1 who remembers him as dracula or what ever vampire he played? it was hysterical.

*Snip*

"Love at First Bite" is the movie that I think you are talking about.

Lemming
marshal kt
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup that's it.

thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Hey Pinnacle! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: