Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

an odd proposal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Hey Pinnacle!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dr evil
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: an odd proposal Reply with quote

I have noticed that several people who have added freebies to the Savage Worlds Game have produced some pretty usefull stuff (such as the beastiary, and my cyberware rules) which got me thinking about the idea of the production of some kind of Savage Worlds companion. Now I know this goes against the whole two books concept of the Savage Worlds game, but I have a few thoughts on that.

Firstly, Since much of the material I am talking about is fan based, and rather universal, I would presume that it could/ should be reprinted on a need to use basis (I.e. any genre that needs cyberware could reprint those rules, making it not necessary to have an additional book. I am sure that in Wierd Wars Tour of Darkness, Creatures like Devil bats will be reprinted rather than simply saying "oh they are on line in the "Bats" scenario!". this might be much the same way.

Secondly this would have to be a PDF, which makes it immently Cheap, to produce. and perhaps it could be made a product of Charity, fans donate thier rules, in exchange for writting credits, and proceeds could go to some cheritable fund, (also making it a tax write off Smile ) players donate content, Pinnacle donates time, Players get published, Pinnacle gets access to new rules and perhaps a tax write off, and some Charity gets what it needs. and as editors you can look at the donations and decide which ones stay and which ones go, after all it's still your sandbox, I'm just suggesting a few new toys for it.

anyway what do you think?
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a better solution would be for the webmaster to get a Files section up and running here at the forum Wink

That way people can upload their files if they're willing and all fan-related materials will be in one easily accessible place. Another option is for some enterprising soul to obtain permission to host all the fan files at their website and then let Shane know the URL so he can post it on the PEG site - in fact, there's one site that's already doing this Wink
Phoenikuz
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps someone, with the Rights to do so by the authors, could gather all the great online ideas, into one big PDF (something abourt 20 odd pages) and then perhaps Shane could host it as "Unofficial Compendium Vol I - Infinity" ?
That way, the fan work will remain fan-work, but would be avaiable just from getting on the page.

Just a few penies worth of thought Smile
Dancin' Dirk
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jblittlefield wrote:
I think a better solution would be for the webmaster to get a Files section up and running here at the forum Wink

Sorry, not gonna happen here at peginc.com, space and legality get in the way. I personally am working on something... just have to get a few things in life (and finances squared away.)
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk wrote:
jblittlefield wrote:

Sorry, not gonna happen here at peginc.com, space and legality get in the way. I personally am working on something... just have to get a few things in life (and finances squared away.)

Well then, Dragonsfoot has file space (I'm the mod for their SW forum) if anyone wants to upload files for the SW community. Just contact me via e-mail and I'll get your stuff posted (with full credit, of course) - the site owner (Mark) reviews all submissions before uploading.
cdude93
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

um... the Savage Worlds yahoo group has been doing this since the first test drive rules. Just post your pdf docs there.

James
palehorse
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the Yahoo! group files section is getting close to full....
Truckee Games
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*COUGH*www.savageheroes.com*COUGH*

Savage Heroes IS the un-official (not official for legal reasons) site for fan based files and links to conversions, rules, adventures, etc..

Rather than a PDF containing 20 (or more) pages of stuff you may or may not use, it seems much easier to pick and choose among the files that interest you.

And it's free.

Design goal-wise, Shane has made it very clear no generic books. Core rule book and setting book. So I don't think we are likely to ever see - even if it's a PDF fan based freebie - it happen.
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palehorse wrote:
I believe the Yahoo! group files section is getting close to full....

... and DF has offered us unlimited hsoting space ... Wink
cdude93
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah, I totally forgot about savage heroes! That place kicks butt!

James
MadTinkerer
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cdude93 wrote:
oh yeah, I totally forgot about savage heroes! That place kicks butt!

James

HOW long has it been since Shane put a link to SH on the main page? Wink

Check out Mad Tinkerer Dot Org!
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cdude93 wrote:
um... the Savage Worlds yahoo group has been doing this since the first test drive rules. Just post your pdf docs there.

James

I think a "normal" website is the best option (aka Savage Heroes) as not everyone belongs to the Yahoo group (or the forum, for that matter).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Hey Pinnacle! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: