Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I have my PDF professional bound?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Hey Pinnacle!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Can I have my PDF professional bound? Reply with quote

Senior Shane,

I just purchased the Players Guide from RPGNow and would very much like to have it printed and bound at Kinkos. But I'd hate to violate any copywright laws so I though I'd check first to make sure this was OK.

Thanks.

-GWMadMan
Count Zero
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Permission is given to print copies for you and your immediate gaming group. This is a site license which is in print on page 3 of the pdf.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not on page 3 of the PDF I just downloaded or anywhere I can find in it in this version.

-GWMadMan
MadTinkerer
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Player's Guide are we talking about? Both Evernight and Deadlands Player's Guides are fine to print out for personal use. Just don't go around selling 'em Wink

Check out Mad Tinkerer Dot Org!
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, the Deadlands one.

There is no notice about "print for personal use" in the pdf so I just wanted to be sure.

-GWMadMan
Count Zero
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Site License is right next to the Table of Contents...can't miss it as it takes up the right half of the page.
Damaramu
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So can I burn the LC Companion and take it to Kinko's and get a print version of it? Because I didn't notice that option and I *hate* PDF's.
Turtle
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. That's the main point of PDFs. Low initial cost to consumer, and he just has to pay a small extra amount to have it professionally printed, or he can just print it at home.

I don't see that big a difference between printing it at home or at a shop. So long as you're not mass producing and distributing, it shouldn't be an issue.

[size=9]
http://vertrucio.blogspot.com/
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turtle wrote:
Yep. That's the main point of PDFs. Low initial cost to consumer, and he just has to pay a small extra amount to have it professionally printed, or he can just print it at home.

I don't see that big a difference between printing it at home or at a shop. So long as you're not mass producing and distributing, it shouldn't be an issue.

Ditto. It doesn't matter where you print it and binding is not an issue under copyright law. The point is that you can print and bind a copy for personal use - that's the whole point of PDF releases Smile
PEGShane
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely.

Shane
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PEGShane wrote:
Absolutely.

Shane

Can you bind it for me ... Wink
dr evil
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OF course to be fair, it can cost almost as much to have it printed or print your own than to buy the finished product. Case in point I downloaded the Deadlands PG, and I had it printed at a local technigraphics. It took 2 days and cost about $22.50, which wasn't too far from the cost of the original book (also I had mine done all B&W to save cash, well except the cover and it was bound and cover laminated:) ) Now don't take this as an attack on the PDF situation, but rather an explaination of the possible saftey of the PDF format.
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr evil wrote:
OF course to be fair, it can cost almost as much to have it printed or print your own than to buy the finished product. Case in point I downloaded the Deadlands PG, and I had it printed at a local technigraphics. It took 2 days and cost about $22.50, which wasn't too far from the cost of the original book (also I had mine done all B&W to save cash, well except the cover and it was bound and cover laminated:) ) Now don't take this as an attack on the PDF situation, but rather an explaination of the possible saftey of the PDF format.

That's why I bought a laser printer (good ones run around $200 these days and get 5000 or so copies before having to spend $50 on a toner cartridge replacement) - they're much more economical in the long run than ink jets. I also bought a binder package (machine, 50 coils, and 100 cover sheets) for $225 (about half of what it would cost to get 50 bindings done professionally not even counting additional costs due to page count) on sale. I own tons (over 200) of PDFs and the initial $425 outlay paid for itself (by savings from PDFs over hardcopy and increased printing output) within 6 months. I prefer PDFs because I can replace damaged pages and add in my own stuff Wink

As PDF technology improves/becomes more popular look for prices to drop and quality to improve Wink
Balance
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really miss having access to a wide-format InkJet. I used to be able to print to a 3 foot wide roll-fed InkJet that would have been great for maps...
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balance wrote:
I really miss having access to a wide-format InkJet. I used to be able to print to a 3 foot wide roll-fed InkJet that would have been great for maps...

Luckily, I have a bud who's an architect. Those plotter printers sure are nice Wink
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Shane.

The only reason I got the PDF was casue I cannot find a printed copy of the DL Players handbook. So printing cost is no big deal to me.

it was weird that I could not find a "premission to duplicate" notice anywhere in it though.

-GWMadMan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Hey Pinnacle! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: