Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1001 Plots / Places / NPCs / etc. for western adventures...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your favorite?
Plot
50%
 50%  [ 44 ]
Place
9%
 9%  [ 8 ]
NPC
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
Clint adding a poll to keep the thread around
36%
 36%  [ 32 ]
Total Votes : 88

Turanil
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: 1001 Plots / Places / NPCs / etc. for western adventures... Reply with quote

Well, as much as I rarely lack of ideas for fantasy or 1920s'-Cthulhu-horror adventures, I feel somewhat at a loss when it comes to a western rpg... Embarassed Crying or Very sad

I would be glad if this thread could be a repository of ideas that would fit well in a world of "sixguns & sorcery". Ideas could be anything that could be inserted in an Old-West / Deadland Reloaded campaign, and convey the right ambiance one should expect to find in a western setting. I mean: what typical NPCs, archetypal places or setting features, and plot devices or scenario outlines can you suggest?

Thanks.
Judge Holden
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allo, bonjour

http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8390
Try this thread over in the DL Classic Rules Discussion section. Near the bottom there is a listing for a bunch of adventures from the classic stuff. The adventures and the Tombstone Epitaph articles are amazing. There is also a good review of a great many published adventrues, so you can lots of ideas there too.

- Dave Foley
Turanil
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, I will peruse that when I am back home. For as now I have some spare time at work, and finally came up with an adventure plot. I am posting it for everyone, and will post more when I get other ideas.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE CURSED PROSPECTOR

-- Yellowrock is a small backwater town, but a relatively wealthy one thanks to a single person: Jack the prospector.

-- Back in the days Jack found a gold mine of his own, and exploited it without anybody ever being able to discover where it is located. Yet this hasn't prevented Jack to lose everything he retrieves from the mine. That is, whenever he has mined a fair amount of gold, Jack goes to Yellowrock and quickly waste every penny of it in the local saloon, in gambling, drinking, and frolicking with prostitutes. He returns to the mine when he's got nothing left, and usually is not seen for weeks before coming back with new lbs of gold.

-- Recently however, Jack stumbled into an ancient tomb deeply buried under the hill. There he found nice gold jewels that he soon wasted as always in Yellowrock's saloon. The problem however, is that he unknowingly recalled an angry being from the spirit world, or more probably from hell... Now the horrid ghost, undead, or whoever knows what, is outside in the world trying to get back what was stolen from his tomb. When it finds any of his items, the current possessor is slain horribly and dies cursed. Jack, who as of now has no more of anything he stole from the tomb, is not pursued by the monster; the latter only senses where are the items it seeks, and doesn't care for anything else.

-- So, when the PCs arrive in town, there have been several horrible murders, and the town is schocked and on their guard. Yet the villagers don't understand what's happening and why. But the worse is to come, as soon the slain victims of the monster rise from their graves as zombies...

-- Adventure will include ways for the PCs to become involved; then mystery-murder investigations; zombie gun fights; and lastly mine dungeon-delving.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feel free to expand on this adventure and post your suggestions. Any new plot, etc. is also welcome.
Fnorder
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch everything with Clint Eastwood, John Wayne, Errol Flynn, Your Favourite Horror Star, everything by Sergio Leone, Quentin Tarantino, Martin Scorsese... Hell, watch every western you can lay your grey hands on and when you get the "feel" of the West, take anything, I say anything you ever liked about a plot. It may be Shakespeare, it may be King, it may be Ed Wood, whatever.

There's a theory, that there is a limited number of plots. It's the feel of it that changes everything.

Have fun on the Weird Trail, Marshal!

'You're saying there's a TRAIN full of those?!'
Turanil
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the useful advice. Now, what I did hope with this thread was that gamers would submit their plot ideas for everyone to read and take inspiration from, not telling me to watch movies when I already have a lot of them on DVD.

If someone has actual adventures / NPCs / place / etc. ideas to submit to this thread, please feel free to do so.

Thanks.

Last edited by Turanil on Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:22 am; edited 2 times in total
Turanil
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a new plot idea that I post here for all to use if they want.

THE PLAGUED MISSION

-- On the railway in a desert hill area is a small water station next to a Catholic monastery. Normally the train stops there only to resupply water, occasionally leaving stuff for the monks of the mission as well as some rare visitor. It's the monks who take care of regularly filling the tank with water.

-- The train stops at the station as always, but today to find the water tank empty and nobody around. The train's employees don't want to leave the train to investigate (they say because of bandits in the area), so the PCs will have to do it by themselves.

-- When the PCs arrive at the monastery, they find all the monks subject to a worst disease (look like the bubonic plague), some of them already dead, the others agonizing and unable to move. This explains why the tank has not been resupplied. Of course, the PCs could also get the disease, despite it takes some time before they are totally incapacitated.

-- A monk explains to the PCs what happened: a group of bandits came two weeks ago; they needed some doctor for their leader who was ill. They took almost by force the three monks capable of miraculous healing and left for the hills. The problem was that the bandits were already carrying the disease and infected the monks who then couldn't cure themselves. Of course the monk asks the PCs to go and search for the missing monk healers.

-- Following the trail in the desert hills, the PCs arrive at the bandits' camp. It's an ancient prospectors' hamlet with a few crumbling houses and a small church. The church reeks of evil... Here is the hamlet's story: long ago a few prospectors settled there, and built a small church to thanks God when they found ghostrock. However, as soon as the church was finished, the prospectors wouldn't extract ghostrock anymore. They prayed to God over and over again, but to no avail as ghostrock was seemingly exhausted or well hidden. At last, in desperation and anger the prospectors decided to forfeit God and pray the Devil instead. The Church was converted to his worship, and the prospectors sold their souls to hell. More ghostrock was discovered thanks to the Devil, but the prospectors fought to the death to get it, and all died. Many years later a group of bandits discovered the place and decided to make it their base of operation. The bandit's leader eventually discovered the corpse of the last prospector who died guarding his ghostrock treasure. The corpse was rotten and moulded, and (probably thanks to the ghostrock effects) carried an horrible disease that the bandit caught.

-- When the PCs enter the place, the bandits are all dead except for a small number of them who are under a demonic possession. The three monks were unable to cure them, as the plague is supernatural and the bandits cursed by their own evil. So all the bandits died, except for those who accepted to host one of the dead prospectors' undead spirits in exchange for being cured of the plague. These demon-bandits are much more powerful than the hosts were prior to the possession. If exorcized, a possessed bandit returns to normal, but plagued and will soon die. If a possessed bandit is killed, the undead spirit will come out of the body (maybe attacking). The three monks are still alive and kept prisonners for some ulterior gruesome purpose. If they are freed, the monks will be able to heal the PCs, provided these are not tainted by evil.

Feel free to expand on this adventure and post your suggestions. Any new plot, etc. is also welcome.
Turanil
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This short adventure plot is loosely inspired from a Clint Eastwood's movie:

WANTED DEAD, NOT ALIVE

-- In some small backwater town, an angry client disfigured a prostitute in a fit of rage. The prostitute wouldn't be able to ply her trade any longer, so she and the other prostitutes decided to punish the client. They added all their hard earned money together and raised 400 gp to pay an assassin to kill him. However, as they didn't know of any assassin in their area, they had someone spread the word in other towns of the region. Unfortunately the dumb emissary somewhat misunderstood and told everywhere of a 4000 gp reward, that the prostitutes won't be able to pay...

-- Now several gunmen, bounty hunters, and who not, are coming to the town to kill the client and get the money. The guy is of course hiding, so all those bad men are searching for him, terrorizing the population, and spending too much time here. Lastly, the drawing that is supposed to represent the client is badly drawn and vaguely resembles one of the PCs...

-- Add to this an oilsnake salesman who is selling some bad alcohol that renders the drinker mad, and a preacher who exhorts the population to denounce the hidden client (he is just a sinner who will be punihed by God anyway), so all these would-be murderers may leave the place quickly. And in case you would ask, the town's sheriff is an incompetent coward ready to accept any bribe, provided he won't have to perform something risky in exchange.

Turanil
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God knows that when I was a boy I so much loved the Wild Wild West TV show. I wish I had known about SW and DL:R back in those days when with a friend we sometimes played a sort of impromptu rpg, pretending to be James West and Artemus Gordon. Later I forgot about the serie, but discovered D&D and spent years of dungeon delving. The following adventure plot is a tribute to both: a dungeon delving in a castle full of traps in the tradition of the best Wild Wild West episodes.

WILD WILD CASTLE OF NO RETURN

-- A few years ago one of the best Agency's engineer (and mad scientist), Pr. Kiew, died when one of his prototypical devices exploded as he was working on it. At least this is what the agency believed, as the whole laboratory exploded, leaving nothing but a cratere. However, the truth is that the professor wasn't there when the device accidentally detonated, killing the poor assistants who were in the laboratory when it happened. He was instead testing a communication device, activating it from outside. Unfortunately the device also interfered with a prototypical energy generator, making it explode. Professor Kiew was schocked, feeling horribly guilty for his assistants' deaths. He preferred to flee and never return, for fear of a supposedly trial he would have to face for his failure and accidental crime...

-- Nonetheless, Pr. Kiew's eagerness for scientific researches didn't end with that terrible event. He eventually found a rich sponsor that would help him resume his studies. However, the latter was a wanted criminal who hired Pr. Kiew to help him build an impregnable fortress somewhere deep in the wild west. Then, when the castle was finally built, the criminal imprisoned Kiew in a room of his fortress. The professor is kept alive so he may help with the ocasional repair, but kept prisonner for fear of betreyal. Kiew has also been blinded as an additional measure of protection, yet this didn't prevent him to finally make his communication device work, and let him briefly contact the agency fo help...

-- So, the idea is to get into the fortress and progress through all the traps and guards to free the professor. This is a dungeon delving into a maze of mechanical traps, electrical machines, etc.

-- The wanted criminal and owner of the fortress, oversees a network of informants, spies, thieves, bandits, etc., in the region. As the professor wasn't able to clearly inform about the fortress location, the PCs will have to gather the information by themselves in asking around. This will of course attract the attention of the overseer's network of criminals, so the PCs will have to face some problems before locating the fortress and reach it.

-- The wanted criminal and owner of the fortress could be a renegade general from the Civil War, with his men (all of them still harboring the uniform when outside of common people's sight). He would have stolen a huge amount of gold from the biggest Confederacy's bank shortly before the end of the war, or something like that (I don't know anything on this subject so these are but vague suggestions).

Turanil
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no adventure idea for this one, so it will be merely an encounter. I saw this in an old western movie with Charles Bronson a long time ago:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WELCOME AT GUNS ALLEY - ENCOUNTER

-- So the PCs ride into town, which is suspiciously empty, devoid of any life and activity. Then, when they are in the middle of the street, they see guns slowly emerge from almost all of the buildings' windows along the street. At some point one guy will fire, and so everybody will shoot like madmen on the PCs. This is an ambush of the worst sort, one that should prove rather difficult to escape...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way: are people interested in all these plots and stuff ? Nobody has something to post to add to it ? #unsure
Turanil
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another plot inspired from various movies and legends:

COYOTE DE LA MUERTE

-- So the PCs are on their way to a small town (be it on horse or in a train), when they hear a coyote shriek horribly loud and strangely unnatural cries. Not long thereafter they discover the cadaver of a man who was killed that same day (with a kife in the back). The only clue about this man is that he probably was a bounty hunter; however there is nothing else obvious, such as whom he was after, or whoever killed him.

-- Then the PC arrive in town, and they are quickly arrested by a number of armed men who angrily ask them what's their business here. In any case they bring them to their chief, Mr. Walden, a rich man who remains in his house, with guards all around on alert. Walden seems anxious, but speaking with the PCs will somewhat quiet down (unless the PCs behave suspisciously, which may directly lead to some gunfight). For some reason the man fears for his life; he tells the PCs of the "Coyote de la Muerte", which, when it is heard, is a sign of impending death. And Walden strongly believes that the next such announced death will be his own, although if he has a good reason to believe so, he won't explain it. Depending on what the PCs say, he may ask them their help, for example in finding the murderer of the cadaver they found earlier.

-- In any case, a few hours later, preferably at night when the PCs are in the saloon, they again hear the horrible coyote shrieks. Shortly thereafter Walden is found dead, killed in the same way as the bounty hunter. If they investigate, the PCs will learn / discover, that an ancient Indian book (or buffalo skin, whatever) that Walden had acquired a couple of months ago, has just gone missing. One of his men may tell that the man had for intent to mount an expedition to some mountains not far away, as the book/buffalo skin/whatever looked like it was a map to some sacred place. It appears that Walden was a dabbler in magic, or at least interested in it, and hoped to find some source of mystical power in these mountains... which happen to be in Indian territory. After learning about the missing book/buffalo skin/whatever, the PCs will discover (provided they investigate) that Walden's murder was probably perpretrated by a criminal wanted by the law, and who has a hefty price put on his head. This may be a motivation for pursuing him and the book/buffalo skin/whatever.

-- What truly happened, that the PCs should eventually learn during the course of the adventure: Some evil guy, huckstler, adventurer and assassin, with some knowledge of Indian lore (the guy is a white man, not Indian) was after the book/buffalo skin/whatever, which is a map to a sacred place of the Indians. That is, a place of power where one may supposedly get access to mystical secrets. Being a murderer he is wanted by the law, but he assassinated the bounty hunter who was after him. Then, he finally got to Walden, knowing the man had bought the book/buffalo skin/whatever, and stole it. Now, the criminal is heading toward the mountains, intent on finally getting to the sacred place. However, the sacred place and the sacred book/buffalo skin/whatever will curse all those unpure of heart who would take advantage of it for selfish reasons.

-- Pursuing the criminal will lead the PCs into Indian territory and mountains. They will have to escape Indian patrols; go into a canyon infested with rattlesnakes; swim across a dangerous river; find the underwater entrance to a maze of caverns and carved tunnels, and not fall to its traps; and finally reach the sacred place, a cave used for Indian religious ceremonies (with statues, etc.). Before entering the cave, the PCs will again hear in the distance the horrible coyote shrieks.

-- When inside the sacred place, it should appear that gun fighting here would be a very bad idea, for it would be a blasphemy retaliated direly by the spirits. Maybe firearms cannot operate in this place. In any case, the criminal has just drank an Indian sacred elixir that could protect him from harm, but also will enable him to attack in spiritual form. In fact, the PCs (or one of them) should also drink the elixir, which will bring him on the spirit world where he will fight the criminal. The spirit world will be one of nightmare as much as the character who drank the elixir is evil. In any case the criminal will lose, but this isn't to say that the PCs will be automatically victorious. If the PCs lose the fight, they may die, or at least being cursed in some way, become mad, etc., while the criminal becomes an undead / angry ghost that will hunt them.

Turanil
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will use this one post as a list of websites and online resources that may be of use for Western rpgs. I will edit and add more links when I find any new one of interest.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OLD WEST MAPS

1) 1895 US Atlas (For those who think the map in Deadland Reloaded is too succinct, look at this website!)
2) US Digital Map Library (Another incredible repository of 1890' maps you should look at!)
3) New Mexico maps: Extreme East / East / West (Black and white easy to print maps real good for rpg purposes.)
4) Maps of the civil War (31 maps dating from the Civil War, that may be of use, like this one or that one.)
5) Central pacific Railroad (A railroad map of the 1890'.)
6) Rare Maps.com (Lots of ancient maps of all around the world, but generally in color and small format not very appropriate for printing.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OLD WEST GENERAL INFORMATION

1) Legends of America (General resources about the old West.)
2) Central Pacific Railroad (Great website about trains in the 1890'.)
3) Ghost Town Gallery (Info and photos on actual ghost towns.)
4) The Pony Express Pony Exp Info / Pony Exp History (Delivering mail across the wild west...)

OTHER WESTERN RELATED RESOURCE

1) The Wild Weird West Part 1 / Part 2 (An article about western-horror movies in the 30' to 60'.)
2) Clint Eastwood.Net (For some people it's John Wayne, for me it can only be Clint Eastwood. Ever!)
3) Old West Replicas (Online shop that sells all manners of Old West stuff if you want props at your gaming table.)
4) Old West Cliparts: Fotosearch ; Rattlesnake Jack's Cliparts.

OLD WEST MINIATURES

1) Artizan Wild West minis (Look at their version of the "Good, Bad, & Ugly" characters!)
2) Foundry Old West minis (The next best manufacturer of western minis; among a great range of nice historical minis of all epochs.)
3) EM-4 Old West minis (Only this set of five minis, no more, but these are pre-painted!)
4) DL/GRW Official Miniatures (Miniatures for Deadland Reloaded.)
5) PDF Accessories All Lines (Look at the "Cardstock Cowboy" PDFs, to get relatively cheap mini replacements.)
6) Steampunk miniatures (Robots, mad scientists, etc., could well be used in a DL:R campaign. Available here at a discount.)
7) Arnica Montana Old West Buidings (The buildings to go with your minis.)

[/url]

Last edited by Turanil on Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:55 am; edited 11 times in total
Fnorder
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thanks for the maps! Smile They're great!

'You're saying there's a TRAIN full of those?!'
Minotaure
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Adventure Hook Reply with quote

Well guys Turanil shouldn’t be the only one contributing ideas here so here’s a little one of mine.

Bandido Town
The Posse is unwillingly stranded in a little rattle shake town. This Town, let’s call it Dustville just to give a lousy name, is cut off from the rest of the world by Bandits, that for an unknown reason strike at every cage or train heading for it. Unfortunately no inhabitant of Dustville has ever seen ‘em and they’re leaving no survivors. So nobody knows who they are and where they are hiding. Carriage and Train Lines are considering closing the traffic to the town so Dustville will effectively get no supplies any more and is short of becoming a ghost town – which in fact is, what the bandits are here for.

While the posse stays in town, they cross a local miner. Perhaps he loses at the poker table and state to have been tricked or something like that. He gets very angry and the situation nearly gets out of hand. Next thing the PC crossing him is shot at in an ambush by people no one in the city knows.

Then a carriage arrives with a driver barely alive. He has a letter from the Rail Line for the Burgermeister telling him, that the service for Dustville will stop. The driver has the authority to do similar for the carriage line if he’s being attacked on this ride and does so instantly.

The next thing the shocked locals have to bear is the bandido posse arriving in town en masse to take control of it. They begin to press the locals for their money in every way possible. The burgermeister and town marshal are being made their puppies within no time.

At one point or other the PCs will have to confront one or some of them to keep their dignity. Then the fun will begin. It’s up to them to recruit some help to get done with the bandits one way or other.
At last they follow the remaining bandits to their hide out. It’s the mine of the aforementioned miner. The mine’s effectively empty and the guy just worked for a frontman of the bandits to sell stolen silver/gold/ghostrock – whatever you want.

Of course the PCs will think the bandits are caught in the mine. Unfortunately it has a second opening in the back of the mountain. They are gone. The PCs should find out, what the bandits where after and make a fortune of it or simple tell the townsfolk so they can make a fortune of it. Perhaps there is a ghost rock mine nobody knows of, or another rail company wants the town to complete their net, etc.

Afterwards the PCs will have some bandits on their tail and a new mighty foe in the background – the man the bandits worked for.
Turanil
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Thank for the contribution! Very Happy I believed none else would submit something. For this thread being really usefull, it needs different people with different ideas to contribute.

Here is just a trap to add in a mine, for the posse to fall in. I borrowed this one from another game's forum (thanks to "Combat_Kyle" the original contributor).

BACKDRAFT - ENCOUNTER

-- The PCs are investigating some mine, which bottom happens to be half filled with water. The characters should be drawn by a dim light coming from one of these tunnels. The light belongs to a sentry carrying a torch.

-- The only way to approach the sentry is by wading through 3 feet of water. This underground pond serves as a barrier to some bandits/villains/whoever hideout. It is virtually impossible to sneak up on the sentry, as the pond covers the entire width of the tunnel. A stealth check must be made to not alert the sentry; note that going under water may be a good way to hide, but if a creature is too big he will make ripples and warn the sentry.

-- The dirty secret of this encounter is that the water is actually a high concentration of lamp oil. PCs must make a notice check to realize there is something wrong with the water. However they can only identify the source of the contamination by tasting it.

-- When the sentry sees the PCs approaching, he will take cover behind a makeshift barrier and wait for the PCs to get closer. When they are clustered close enough he will toss his torch into the water. This will ignite the oil and cause a wave of flames to fill the tunnel. All PCs must make an agility check to dive under water or take 2d6 of fire damage.

Turanil
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added more links into the map section above. One of them gave me an idea of adventure.

THE HAUNTED BATTLEFIELD

-- The adventure uses this ancient hand-drawn map of the Civil War. It was drawn by the survivor a terrible battle which in fact never ended. Although it was a massacre, the combattants of both sides remained and continue to fight in undeath. Now the site is perpetually shrouded in mists, has a fear level 5, and is shunned by everybody, men and animals alike, in the region.

-- The posse gets the map from the last combattant of that terrible battle. He was an officer who betrayed his side and fled the battlefield when he saw the enemies had called upon black magic. But his men had sworn to defend the field and did it unto death, unfortunately becoming undead and continuing the fight against their enemies who had also become undead (thanks to the black magic). Now the officer is old and agonizing, tormented by nightmares every night, and wishes he could save the soul of his men, before departing for his last judgment. However, being too old and on the brink of death, he needs to have someone else do it on his behalf. If they accept and succeed he will make the posse his heirs. The mission, if the posse accepts it, consists in going onto the battlefield and perform some religious ceremonies involving exorcisms, use of a sanctified item, and what not. This should end the evil magic, and release the souls of the undead.

-- So, map in hand the PCs must progress through the battlefield, fight undead, and perform the exorcisms. All of this in a gloomy place trying to avoid ghost bullets, etc.

StocktonKid
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Gallows Gate Reply with quote

Just a quick note on one of the ideas I used in my campaign....

Pieces of the gallows from Fort Smith Arkansas (http://www.nps.gov/fosm/history/executions/) were used to make three lesser gallows without platforms, and placed at various locations in the Weird West. Based upon the multiple hanging by Judge Isaac Parker on September 3, 1875 in which six men were executed (several whites, native americans, and a black), I got the idea that if victims were hung on one of these lesser gallows it would open up a gateway (framed within the gallows posts) to one of the other two gallows. The key to determine which gallows you could open the gate to was based upon the number of persons executed and their race.

In my game, the gallows were being used by a derranged Confederate general in order to help move troops quickly from place to place (in one instance moving troops to California by passing a whole trainload trough one gate to another after setting up the gallows at both ends across existing railroad tracks. The posse is still in the process of trying to track down the remaining gates after destroying one.

This is just the bare kernal of the idea, but I thought I would share nonetheless.
Turanil
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to the new poster. A grisly idea for DL:R! Savage Jack

Otherwise, Dogma has let me copypaste his adventure seeds from this thread:

Here are some adventure seeds I [i.e.: Dogma] came up with by looking at a list of songs by Johnny Cash. Because everything is better when you can work in Johnny Cash!

• 25 Minutes To Go – A innocent person (an friendly NPC or PC!) is to be hanged in 25 minutes. The PCs either have to track down some evidence quick or stage a daring rescue.

• A Boy Named Sue – The PCs get caught in the middle when a gunfighter named Sue tries to kill the man that gave him that awful name.

• Amazing Grace – A tale of redemption as a lone Blessed sets off to “save” the town of Gomorrah, TX . The PCs get caught in the middle of the fight as the evil forces at work in Gomorrah would prefer the preacher’s revival head elsewhere.

• Bad News – The PCs are struck with the curse of bad luck and everything goes wrong for them. They must hunt down the person responsible for putting the “Voodoo” on them.

• Ballad Of A Teenage Queen – A Eastern Actress wants to head West to reunite with the man she loves and needs an escort.

• Ballad of Ira Hayes – The Ghost of an angry Union soldier of Native American descent is haunting the town where he died.

• Cocaine Blues - A new brand of firewater causes it’s drinkers to go on berserk rampages.

• Dark As A Dungeon – The PCs are arrested on trumped up charges and thrown in jail. Now they need to make their ecape before the town’s hangin’ judge decides their punishment.

• Delia's Gone – The ghost of a murdered woman is trying to bring her killer to justice and need the PCs aid.

• Don't Take Your Guns To Town – A wealthy industrialist whose son killed a man in a duel and ended up in jail wants your PCs to break his son out for a handsome reward.

• Five Feet High and Rising – The PCs are in the path of flooding river and need to escape.

• Folsom Prison Blues – The PCs find out a rail line is using prison labor to get a jump on the competition. They are being paid to execute a jailbreak and cost the rail baron his cheap labor.

• Ghost Riders in the Sky – Los Diablos are coming to town to take down an NPC. The novice PCs need to get out of the way of the Devil’s Herd.

• Give My Love to Rose – The PCs come across a dying man with a small fortune who has asked them to deliever his money to his wife and kids.

• Hey Porter – The PCs are on a Union Blue train that is being attacked by a group of Rbel soldiers.

• Hurt – A Harrowed has come to town and his Manitou has dominion…

• Legend of John Henry's Hammer– One of Darius Hellstrome’s automaton is being put on public display vs. a skilled railworker. Everything is going fine until the automaton goes berserk.

• Man In Black - Astranger in black comes into town and things begin to get strange. Is a demon bringing ruin to the town or a Blessed with some strong enemies on his tail?

• One Piece At a Time – A worker steals on of Hellstrome’s weapons and wrecks havoc on Salt Lake City.

• Starkville City Jail – The PCs come to the town of Starkville, where even picking flowers is reason enough to be thrown in jail.

• The Beast In Me – A friendly NPC recently had a “Harrowing” experience and is trying to come to terms with his new un-life.

• The Man Comes Around – The Right Han of Death himself comes to town…

• Thirteen – The PCs are tasked with taking down the bandit known only as 13.

• Ring of Fire - A mad scientist is deeply in love with a married woman. When the wealthy husband finds out he has his thugs kill the man by burning down his workshop. Now the corpse of the scientist is infused with the fires of Ghost Rock and is bent on revenge no matter the collateral damage.

Minotaure
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: The Ritual Reply with quote

Here’s an idea of mine, that I’m not entirely sure how to use.

The Ritual

The PCs are riding through barren country. Every time and again they see some Indians in the far distance. In this part of the country this is not a common sight.
Then they stumble repeatedly about shot, piled and burnt animals – indian arrows still stuck within the head.
At last the PCs arrive near a town and are greeted by a terrible smell. They discover that all the inhabitants were slain – by gun shots. It’s a ghost town – bodies lying everywhere. Wandering around they discover a heap of dead bodies burnt to the ground. This heap’s still smoking, stinking and warm.

Shortly after that an Indian is nearing the PCs coming out of nearby hills. He wants the PCs to leave the area.

Of course the PCs won’t. Instead they’ll try to discover what happened here and what the Indians are about. After some search and perhaps the one or other fight or discussion with the Indians they find a copy of a telegram in the sheriff’s or telegraph office warning of some well known bad guy heading for the town with very bad things in mind.

So what will the PCs do now?

The story behind’s this: The townspeople were slain by this bad guy and his companions for some reason. The Indians are here because their chief shaman was told to come here in dreams to hold a sacred ritual. Because of the slaughter the fear level in this town reached a level that allows the reckoners to open a kind of gate to the hunting grounds and throw lots of abominations into this world. This will happen in a short while – something like a week and a day after the slaughter. But there’s raw material needed: living or dead things to change and to twist.
Therefore the Indians have shot all the animals in the area and burnt the bodies of them and the already dead townsfolk preventing them to be used as material by the reckoners.
But of course some of them escaped them.

The ritual is held. But the spirits of the gathered shamans are not strong enough to prevent the reckoner’s doing . After a short while hell breaks loose.

After this the whole area will be flooded by several animal like abominations and maybe even a bunch of zombies – dead miners, who weren’t discovered by the PCs or the Indians in time.

Problem with this idea is, that the PCs reactions are entirely unpredictable. Will they fight the indians? Will they talk with them and maybe help them? Will they even discover what this is all about in the first place? And of course what will they think if all their efforts were in vain.
Chances are, they could gather a little insight in the scheme of things and gain a little shamanistic point of view. They could even be provided with some shamanistic charms and make friends with the indian's tribe.
Turanil
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this scenario. PCs must not be rairoaded; if things don't turn as expected, it should be up to the GM/Marshall to improvise so the story still goes in the right direction. Also, I should point out that we just give ideas in this thread, not yet carefully detailed scenarios. This one, as the others, would have to be developped by the individual GM/Marshall, who will have to take into account his own players and who their characters are.

Otherwise just a question: What happened with the bad guy responsible for the mass murder? Should he be met by the posse? What to do with him to add events to the adventure? Will only the increased fear level open a gate to the Hellish Hunting Ground, or will a dark ceremony be involved? (Maybe in the local church that has been desecrated?).
caul
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turanil wrote:
THE CURSED PROSPECTOR

-- snip --

-- Adventure will include ways for the PCs to become involved; then mystery-murder investigations; zombie gun fights; and lastly mine dungeon-delving.

Love this one. This might be the beginning of my campaign right here...after all, Callow is near a mine...
I'm a zombie me...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: