Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Black Circle confusion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baiyo
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Black Circle confusion Reply with quote

I've seen a lot of love on this forum for The Black Circle for DLC, but I don't feel like I really know what to expect from the book. Basically, I'd like to know what I'd be spending my money on if I bought the pdf.

I've read enough on this forum to know that it contains the background info on mysterious Big Bad and a conspiracy that won't be resolved until Shane sells his idea for a Deadlands movie/cartoon series/point-and-click adventure game or whatever he's got planned. But I don't usually buy game books just for the fluff alone.

Is there an adventure in that book? Is it all setting fiction? Or just setting information? Are there a bunch of old spell descriptions for AB: Black Magic that are now obsolete in Reloaded?

I consider converting Classic to Reloaded to be a non-issue. I'd just like to know what's in Black Circle that's gameable. Even if it's not immediately gameable, but it's given you great adventure ideas, I'd be interested in hearing from you.
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Black Circle provides details on an alliance between Bayou Vermillion, Black River, and the Whateleys. Much of the information is now outdated thanks to the end of the Great Rail Wars and the diminished nature of the Whateleys in the Reloaded timeframe. Mostly it's setting fluff, but it also gave details for Whateley blood magic.
jabberwoky
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the context of Deadlands: Reloaded, The Black Circle is mostly useful as setting fluff but it does provide context to three of the villainous "factions" of Deadlands.

For example, Mina Devlin and Simone Delacroix have stats in the Deadlands: Reloaded Marshal's Guide but their motivations as well as their histories are absent in Reloaded products (although Simone does get some history from River O' Blood). It also describes their minions as well, from Mina's Memphis Belles to Simone's skinwalkers.

As for the Whateleys, there is a copious amount of information about them. I realize that Reloaded timeline Whateleys are diminished, but this book tells about them in their heyday. It tells about the different branches of the family, the allies and minions used by the family and even has a chart so you can make disturbing Whateley characteristics in an instant.

However, the core of the book, that these three factions have formed an unholy alliance has been rendered moot because of retconning. The publisher never expanded on this alliance, thus its left out in the open, allowing GMs to use it or ignore it at their whim.

If you want a sourcebook on some classic Deadlands villains, I would recommend getting this. I believe it is more valuable in parts than as a whole, because of the retconned information, though. But even in pieces, it is still inspiring for Deadlands Marshalls (particualrly when a player wants to play a Whateley).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: