Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rules Questions for the Solomon Kane RPG
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Rules Questions for the Solomon Kane RPG Reply with quote

If you have a question about the rules in Solomon Kane, please post them here.

This is just for how the published rules work; for discussions about opinions and house rules, please start a separate thread.

Please note that this thread is for official answers. We appreciate the desire to help, but we ask that the only answers come from official Pinnacle representatives.

We'll try to quote the original question in the post with the answer. After we do so, we'll delete the original post to reduce the clutter in the thread and make it easier to search.

Thanks for your patience and assistance in making this thread work!

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiggy wrote:
Paul Siegel wrote:
The rules for Entangle state that the Arcane Skill roll is opposed by the target's Agility. It then later states that casting it at -4 penalty causes it to affect everyone in a Medium Burst Template.

Is it required to center the burst template on a single target, who is then responsible for opposing the casting roll? Or can it be placed in any arbitrary location within range, and then allow each person within the template to oppose the roll individually? Presumably in the latter case, the effects are only canceled for the individuals who succeed in opposing the roll.

A template can be placed anywhere within range--it doesn't have to be centered on a target.

You got it. The caster makes a single roll. All affected targets roll individually against that target number. Those who succeed are unaffected. It may be that all, some, or none are affected, depending on the rolls.

Wiggy

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiggy wrote:
Paul Siegel wrote:
Hmm, it seems I can't ask follow up questions in my own posts. So, here's a new post.

Once a character is entangled by the Entangle power, are there any modifiers to his Parry or bonuses to hit him? Or are they considered helpless, and thus can have a Finishing Move performed on them?

From a previous ruling about this...

As stated in the power description, the target cannot use any skill linked to Agility (or Strength). That includes Fighting, and no Fighting skill equals a Parry of 2.

Note, despite being "completely restrained" the target is not considered helpless as for a Finishing Move since they do have the potential to break free.

Wiggy

www.peginc.com
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Siegel wrote:
Yet another entangle question:

The duration of the spell is listed as Special. The description mentions ways to break free of the spell, but does not mention any means by which it naturally looses the target. Does this mean that the effects remain until the target manages to break free on his own? Does this also imply that entangling material (vines, webs, chains, ropes, whatever) are actually permanently created (meaning after breaking free, the target could gather up some useful bits of rope)?

Yep, the entangling vines remain holding the person until he escapes or is helped out (Cooperative roll).

There needn't be much material to entangle someone effectively, so there probably isn't a lot left over, especially if a hero used Strength and bursts free, breaking the entangling vines or whatever. Like many things in SW, how a GM wants to add flavor like that is his call.

Note as well that using the template for entangle does not automatically mean vines grow across the entire template. Unless you rule otherwise, they only affect individual targets, leaving other spaces free. This is implied in that moving through the affected area after the spell has gone off does not result in characters becoming entangled or having to pick their way over difficult ground.

Wiggy
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Siegel wrote:
Will the questions about the Entangle Power never cease? I sure hope they do. But here's the latest, generated from last night's play:

When the caster gets a raise, it says the target is fully restricted, and cannot use any skills related to Strength or Agility. However, Strength and Agility are exactly the attributes used to break free from the spell. Does this mean that with a raise, the targets cannot attempt to break free? Or are they still allowed to do this since it's an attribute check, and not a skill. It seems a bit harsh to not allow it, since we've already established that the spell lasts until the target manages to free himself. A raise from the caster would equate to the target being permanently immobilized.

Secondly, when attempting to resist the spell, the targets roll Agility and try to beat the casting roll made by the caster. In subsequent turns, when using Strength or Agility to break free, is the target still trying to beat the casting roll or is it reduced back to a target of 4? Is this modified at all if the caster got a raise (assuming the target can even attempt it, as per my first question)?

1). It's only skills that are forbidden. You have enough room to try and wiggle free or flex your muscles, but not go Climbing or use a sword.

2). The roll to break free is opposed by the approprate Arcane Skill each time it's attempted. This way it mimics how grapples work with an opposed roll. (It isn't clear from the entangle text, though).

Wiggy
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Siegel wrote:
Wiggy wrote:

2). The roll to break free is opposed by the approprate Arcane Skill each time it's attempted. This way it mimics how grapples work with an opposed roll. (It isn't clear from the entangle text, though).

Huh. Does the Arcane Skill roll suffer the same penalties it did when the spell was first cast? Meaning if the caster spends an extra round to cast it at -1 instead of it's normal -2, that subsequent Arcane Skill rolls to oppose attempts to break free would also be made at -1.

Nope. The casting modifiers only apply to the initial casting of the spell. They don't apply to secondary rolls after the power is already active.

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charliebananas wrote:
I've noticed that the Katana does the same damage as a longsword, is this correct or an error, as in other Savage settings it does Str+D6+2 rather than Str+D8.

Kane was written before SWEX even if it was released later. That's the nature of a licensed product and the difference in the printing of a full-sized hardback with Kane's page count.

Still, that doesn't necessarily mean use every difference from SWEX. Some of the differences in Kane work because it is Kane, and that's the setting. It may seem weird to apply a Setting Rule to weapon damage, but that's exactly what I would do in this case. The Eastern katana may be a superior weapon to Western blades in reality, but in the world of Kane, I wouldn't say it is. I'd say the blades are fairly equal because in Kane, it's not the steel in the weapon, but the steel in the man that makes the difference.

But as always, if it works for your game, go for it. That's all that really matters.

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knastymike wrote:
Howdy! Just registered to ask a question. I didn't find the answer in the Core Rules questions section, so I thought it might be an issue specifically with the Solomon Kane book.

Some of the ranges for ranged weapons are listed quite oddly. I'm thinking it's either a misprint, or I'm missing something entirely. Examples include:
Small Improvised Weapon: 6/3/2012
Medium Improvised Weapon: 4/2/2008
Axe, Throwing: 6/3/2012
Harpoon: 6/3/2012
Sling: 8/4/2016

I have not had the chance to compare my own book to others, but this is definitely how mine reads. I am under the impression that ranges read in inches (squares on the mat if traveling non-diagonally), so that long range is crazy extreme. Also, the medium range is shorter than the short range. Also also, some ranges read things that make sense to me, like "20/40/60".

So, was there just a small misprint, or am I just reading things horribly incorrectly? (And as a neophyte to the Savage Worlds system, that's completely possible.)

Yep, welcome to the wonderful world of auto-formatting. That's what happens when the computer changes the text to date format. So the ranges should read...

Small Improvised Weapon: 3/6/12
Medium Improvised Weapon: 2/4/8
Axe, Throwing: 3/6/12
Harpoon: 3/6/12
Sling: 4/8/16

Any others would just be translated the same way.

www.peginc.com
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Seeker of Truth"]SPOILER ALERT
SPOILER ALERT

Ok, now that that's settled.

Quote:
Ok, so for the artifacts, it says that a player must spend a benny to attune themselves to it to use its abilities, otherwise its just a mundane weapon. How often do you need to attune yourself? Just the one time? Every time you use it (every scene)? If you only need to do it once, I'm also assuming you have to re-attune if you give up possession of the artifact for an extended period of time. So if you hand it off to someone to hold onto for a little while, no re-attunement. But if they attune themselves to it or have it for a good long time, you do have to

Quote:
Just once, regardless of how long you give it away for. Once an artifact is attuned it's attuned. That's why we didn't include any time limits. Hundreds of people could be attuned to the same artifact.

Wiggy
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuri wrote:
One question about Righteous Rage

Does it last for 3 actions or 3 rounds?

Does it cover things like Soak Rolls, and other automatic rolls (like Surprise, poison resistance)?

Yuri

Three rounds. "Mark your rage with thre tokens of some sort. At the end of each round after Rage is triggered, discard a bead." The paragraph above that, which says "next 3 actions" really means "next three times it's your turn to act."

All Trait roll is affected--so that would include Surprise (Notice skill) and poison resistance (Vigor roll).

Wiggy
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapier65 wrote:
I have a musketeer joining the ranks this week, so I thought I'd seek clarification on the following.

A Seasoned musketeer with the Marksman edge loads his wheelock - without moving - and discharges it at an enemy in the same round. Does the Marksmanship edge negate the -2 modifier he would normally receive to his shot for taking two actions?

As long as a character has Marksman and doesn't use any movement (as in moves his mini) in a round, then they act as if they aimed. With Musketeer and Marksman, he can load and fire every round with a multi action penalty.

In short, you can multi-action with Marksman as long as you follow all the other rules.

Wiggy
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Particle_Man wrote:
Can one cast Animate Hand after one has cast Transfer Soul? If one does this with numerous "host bodies", could one build up an army of Creeping Hand minions?

Yes and no.

Yes, the spell could be cast while in another body, but no, it would be impossible to build up an army of minions. As it says under Animate Hand...

"The caster must remain in a trance while the hand is animated. Any disruption causes the hand to die immediately."

So for one, while the hand is animated, the caster couldn't activate any other spells, and thus couldn't transfer his soul into another body. And since any disruption causes the hand to die, even ending Transfer Soul to go back to their own body would cancel a previously cast Animate Hand.

www.peginc.com
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Which set of Incapacitation rules? Reply with quote

Talon One wrote:
Hi there. I have read both the SWEX rules set with its new system for calculating Incapacitated Wild Cards as well as the SK rules which seem to use the old rules set from before SWEX. Which is used/recommended??? If in fact I am understanding them correctly to be different!

They are different, and typically any differences in Kane supercede the core Savage Worlds rulebook (it has it's own "setting rules" inclusive in it).

That said, Kane was already in production before SWEX, so the new Incapacitation rules weren't really an option. I'd suggest looking at both sets of rules and deciding which one you understand better and looks like it fits your style of gaming more.

www.peginc.com
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Obscure Spell Reply with quote

Judge Holden wrote:
Can Obscure be cast upon on object such as your own staff and move around with you, or must it be cast on an area and stay in that area until the duration ends?

It's a static area effect spell. Light works differently, so there is precedent for a houserule to say it can be moved in the same way. Light works how it does because creating light, while useful, is less useful than being able to mask an area in some sort of obscurement and give you chance to run away or sneak in close and get the Drop.

Quote:

Can you cast it on an enemies face so that they cannot see (or be seen)?

Not specifically, no. However, see above.

Quote:

Can anything except magical light see out of or through it for example if you light a torch inside it?

That all depends on the trappings. Obscure isn't just a "darkness" spell. For instance, rolling fog would act like normal fog--light would be of limited use as all it would do is reflect back off the fog. As swirling sand, having a light has little effect. Magical light has no special powers to see through obscure.

Quote:

Can a monster with darkvision see inside of an Obscure spell?

You mean infravision? We don't have "darkvision" in the d20 sense. Generally, yes, it would work, but again it can depend on the trappings. A shaman from cold lands might have "freezing fog" as a trapping, which could mask any heat sources (as might "intense heat shimmer").

Wiggy
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackAce wrote:
Does Righteous Rage work for the GM's Wild Card NPC Villains and Monsters?

From a game-mechanical point of view I'd expect yes, because all bonusses and penalties tend to work both ways.

But from a storytelling point of view it seems to run against the spirit of the Kane stories...

It's a purely PC game mechanic.

Wiggy
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Axerules wrote:
1) One of my players wants to take the Jack-of-all-Trades Edge.

In "Professionnal Edges", the text says: when you make an unskilled check, you don't have a -2 penalty (I'm paraphrasing, I don't have my book at hand). In the Edges' summary, it's written that you don't have a penalty if you make a "Smarts-based" attempt. So does it work for all skills (like in the text) or only for Smarts-based ones (the summary) ? Which one is correct ?

Smarts-based only is correct.

Quote:

2) A little typo in Solomon Kane's stats: his Taunt score is listed d. and the number is missing. What is his score ?

d10

Wiggy
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Siegel wrote:
Also, can a caster decide round-to-round whether to keep casting to reduce the casting mod, or must he declare up front exactly the number of rounds he's going to cast for?

It's up to him to decide. each round whether to keep preparing or cast. Circumstances may force hm to cast earlier than he would like. In short--you don't have to declar up front.

Wiggy
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Siegel wrote:
If a caster is taking multiple turns to reduce the casting mod of his spell, can another caster Dispel it during that time? Or must the Dispel-er go on hold in order to interrupt? Can the caster of Dispel take advantage of an extra turn to reduce the Casting Mod if the original caster takes more turns?

To put an example to it, Al begins casting Fear on turn 1. He decides to cast for two extra rounds such that the spell goes off on turn 3, but has 0 casting mod. Bob goes on a later initiative than Al, and wants to Dispel the Fear spell. Does he have to wait until round 2, go on hold, and then interrupt Al's action on turn 3? Can he start casting Dispel right away and have it go off on turn 2 with no casting mod? If so, when would the opposed roll be made?

You can't dispel a spell in preparation--there's no actual magic active. Dispel works on powers already active or ones just being activated. In the latter case you need to be on Hold (as it says on page 105). To disrupt spells in preparation, you have to distract the caster somehow.

Edit: Edited out due to typo correction in later post.

You can prepare dispel in advance, but there are several reasons why preparing dispel to counter a spell in preparation is risky:

1) You have to be on Hold to cast it, which means that if you want to lower the CM you have to have your spell prepared exactly one round before it's actually needed. That's pure guess work. The GM knows what spell is being cast by the players, but his NPCs don't, so they won't know the Casting Mod involved.

2) Since you have to be on Hold, you have to get a higher action card at the start of the round in which you want to interrupt with your prepared dispel. If you get a lower card, you can't go suddenly on Hold and interrupt earlier in the same round.

E.g. Bob would have to finished his spell on the same turn as Al, get a higher action card next turn (the casting turn), go on Hold, and then interrupt on Al's card. Remember as well, if you take any actions in a round you can't then go on Hold the same round.

3) If the original caster suspects you're preparing dispel, he can decide to cast early (albeit with a Casting Modifier penalty). There's no way Bob could respond to this by interrupting as he won't be on Hold.

As such, when used in combat against a spell actually being cast, dispel is normally cast as a single action with no prep time. There is where having Strong Caster comes into play.

It's penalizing, but Al is in total command of the process--Bob essentially has to respond to Al's casting, which could go off at any time. To ensure any chance of success, Bob basically has to decide to go on Hold, keep being on Hold until Al finally casts, and then interrupt and fast cast.

Wiggy

Last edited by Wiggy on Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackAce wrote:
Wiggy wrote:
"Once a caster finishes preparing, he must cast his spell on the following round or the magic is wasted and he must begin again." [my italics]

Can I choose to keep "preparing" for more rounds than necessary?

Nope. Doesn't say you can in the rules, so it's not allowed by ommission. Preparation does one thing--reduces Casting Modifier. Once the CM is zero, there is nothing left to prepare.

Quote:

If my preparations have already lowered the CM to 0, do I have to cast the spell on the next action, or can I delay that by continuing the preparation ritual?

Read page 98. "Each round a hero spends preparing (after the first) reduces the Casting Modifier by 1, to a maximum of zero." and "Once the caster finishes preparing..."

You can't prepare a spell beyond 0 Casting Modifier, so you have to use it next round or you waste it.

Wiggy
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Siegel wrote:

I get the bit about needing to cast the round after, what's confusing me is the idea that the first round doesn't count for anything. By this reckoning, it sounds to me like if I wanted to cast Smite (Casting Mod: -1), I could cast it in a single round at -1 (and move as normal, or even take multiple actions at additional penalties to the roll), or cast it in 3 full rounds with no penalty. Eg:

R1: Declare I'm casting Smite.
R2: Prep -- full round action (0)
R3: Finish prep and cast.

Can I do anything else during R1 and R3? Move? Take other actions? In the former, would I get multi-action penalties to my final casting roll on R3?

I guess I just assumed that if I did nothing at all on R1, not even move, that it would count as spending a full round action and reduce the casting mod. But I guess the book does say "Each round a hero spends (after the first) preparing his spell reduces the Casting Modifier by 1 to a maximum of 0." (emphasis mine) Still strikes me as strange though.

I see why now and it's my fault.

There's a typo which never occured to me when answering your previous post because I didn't read the two examples which follow the text. It still doesn't change the fact that casting dispel is best done as a fast casting, but it clarifies your comments above.

It should say... "Each round a hero spends (including the first) preparing his spell..." [my italics for emphasis on the change].

Take a look at the examples on page 98 for clarification. N'Longa prepares a -6 CM spell. He prepares for only two rounds and casts on the third at -4. Then he casts zombie (-4) and it says he can prepare "for a maximum of 4 rounds".

So smite (-1) would be like this...
R1: Preparation. Absolutely no actions of any sort during that round.
R2: Cast at zero CM. You're not preparing anymore, so it's a normal round. You can take other actions in this round as standard.

or

R1: Cast smite with -1 penalty as a standard action. You can do other things, but there's always the CM penalty and any multi action penalties.

Hope that clears it up for you, amigo!

Wiggy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: