Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slipstream plus Deadlands=?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skylion
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Slipstream plus Deadlands=? Reply with quote

I'm trying to come up with a cool name for it, but so far can only call it; Slipstream: The Reckoning. And that is kinda weak tea.

No matter, thou. I'm counting my Blessings. The Game is the Thing after all.

So far, I'm resolved to have this game on the back burner, as I will probably be running my Savage Freeport game for at least 8 more sessions.

But this is what I have so far. ***Possible Deadlands and Slipstream Spoilers***

For this timeline, I'm am saying that the Queen has been overthrown. It could be said that her usurpers were "nothing more" than common heroes. But, for this game, something wicked has to be happening in the background.

Knowledge is there to be found. No matter how forbidden. A dedicated group of Babelonians, schooled in much esoteric and occult thought were able to find out what Raven from the Deadlands world found out. The knowledge was frightening too them, for it involved powers beyond life and death, and far beyond the psionic abilities they knew of.
A ranking Handmaiden was able to discover what this occult group was up too, and went with a team of Primal's to destroy all who held this knowledge.
It would have been a success, had the esoterics not taken the steps to finally learn and use this new power. The Handmaiden and her team didn't know what hit them. This group, now calling itself, the Sons of the Reckoning started to lay plans. Soon they were able to find the chink in Anthraxa's armour. In the ranks of her second most feared soldiers

The Son's were able to find the Primal's homeworld. After a series of adventures, they were able to prove that Anthraxa was nothing more than a false goddess, and then eroded the Primal's loyalty to the Queen. The freed Primals swore themselves to the Son's goals and the new mission spread to their brothers across the Stream. A swift insurrection followed, and a civil war broke out across the Fragments. As a result, the forbidden lore the Sons of the Reckoning found was decided against. They didn't need to risk it any longer.

In the Struggle, as the civil war was called by the insurrectionists, the sides became too evenly matched, as the races were quick to leap into battle. After many years of touch and go fighting, the Queen's forces discovered the Son's occult knowledge that gave the rebels their impetus. She marshaled a team to find and use this knowledge against her enemies. One tip off from one side lead to another and soon it was a race to create and detonate the most powerful weapon conceived; the Graviton Wave Reckoner; a device composed of the minds of the most powerful psionicists in Slipstream, along with as many artifacts as could possibly be found. Neither side was willing to back off from the headlong rush. It was claimed The Reckoner could reverse the Stream when activated, it's ultimate effects, however, were to have implications in the future.

Too this day, there isn't a single being that can say which side pushed the button. All were destroyed at Ground Zero; the rebel heroes, and the Queen herself. Along with much of the psionic potential of this world. But no matter where blame lies, it didn't reverse the Stream as claimed. It ended the Struggle, that much is sure, as the Queen's forces proved ineffectual without her to lead them.

For a time, across the Fragments, the collected races breathed free. Soon, representatives from most of the Fragments gathered, and formed a convention too find the direction forward. They were barely able to keep order for very long. Many races from several Fragments were not in favour of a new government. At long last, after being freed from tyranny, none were to quick to want to hand themselves over to another ruling body, no matter how noble the outset. They wanted self rule, period. Many, having been drained by Anthraxa's harsh tributes, didn't want to subscribe to taxation; especially if it was to aide those Fragments that didn't participate in overthrowing the Queen, many of them rich to begin with, and richer because of the Struggle.

Less than three years after the Struggle, a second civil war broke out. The effects were too change lives much deeper than the first for years to come. It left the Lion Men without a home, the once proud Valkyrians nearly broken in spirit, the Bird Men becoming cruel in support of the new government, and the Babelonians becoming holders of secrets instead of teachers; too mention but part of the changes.
In five years, it was settled. With the first establishment on the winning side. The Order of the Whole Core was formed, left with the job of healing old wounds, and putting the pieces of the Fragments back into a unified whole. Thou a republic with free elections for all, there is still some resistance to this.

Now, the Order is expanding. Worlds spoke of only in legend are being discovered, and everyone wants to capitalize on it. In the rush to explore, few notice that the fall out of the Reckoner is drifting in the rarefied air of the Stream. Many are starting to find out what Fear is really like.

***Possible spoilers for Deadlands Players***

For all intents, this is the background of Deadlands put into the world of Slipstream. It has some Firefly seasoning in thou.

As of now the only thing I am hung up on is how to mix in two AB's, Psionics and Blessed. The story pretty much guts Psionics in a way, and what is Deadlands without Blessed. What I would like to do is combine them in a way; by basically make the Psionic system work like the Blessed system in Deadlands. I could redress the Conviction Edge as a Psionic Edge if I must. But, it is starting to feel like I am creating a form of Jedi, especially if I say, hey, here's a laser sword.

Any suggestions on that?

Magic, Martial Arts, and Weird Science work much the same way. Voodoo and Shamanism could fit in, for more primitive cultures found in the expansion.

Manitous are now riding the Graviton Wave.
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems interesting. Ever seen the old late-80s cartoon Galaxy Rangers? That was the first thing I thought off when I thought about combining Deadlands and Slipstream.
skylion
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man. I knew I should have mentioned that cartoon in the first place. It was an inevitable correlation wasn't it? I couldn't keep it out of my mind, once it got in there.

But, please, no. It isn't really. I don't want it too veer into 80's nostalgia. But, if someone does pick up on the idea, then by all means, do as you wish.

Graviton Rangers, however, yes. They will be part of the Stream. I mean, you can't have Deadlands without Rangers.
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was that other one? Lonestar or something?

SteveN
skylion
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be Bravestarr

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bravestarr

Wow, corn can grow as high as a man's eye. Or at least for one season of animation.
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks! I just remember the horse anthro!

SteveN
skylion
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny (as in interesting) the things that stick in our mind.

As of tonite, I'm taking this idea off the back burner and sticking it in the oven. It is still a little half-baked. (recipe called from mixing metaphors).
Working on my regular Freeport game for this Sunday.

But, when I done my oven mitts and pull this dish out, I think I shall be looking into the aformentioned new frontiers. How am I going to stick that into the current Slipstream map?

Until then, please feel free to swipe this idea if you want it. Add to it if you want.
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continued from here:

http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=220997#220997

I have no close ideas about either Bravestar or WH40K (I am just not that familiar with them), so for me, this setting that I am creating isn't that; if anyone wants to grab those ideas, go for it and have fun.

This is the tropes of the Gleaming Space Pulps colliding with the tropes of the Grim Spaghetti Western...with meat. My inspirations are Wiggy's and Shane's settings.
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadstream? Sliplands?
skylion
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

" Your moking me, aren't you?"
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylion, if you're not already familiar with it, you really need to check out the classic Deadlands adventure Fortress o' Fear. Seriously. Twisted Evil
skylion
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it, and love it.

And a "Black Hole Generator" is one of the ways I am thinking about injecting the Weird into the Slip...
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I thought about possible Slipstream crossovers, I had in mind something a bit more grimdark...

So Slipstream takes place in an alternate dimension of sorts that exists at the other end of a black hole. And, as we fans of Necropolis 2350 know, the minions of the Dark Dimension lurk at the other end of a ...black hole.

So, with the GM tool of the world of Stygia as a blank slate, I figured the Streamers would soon have to deal with an invading force of Rephaim...

...or, for another threat, the return of the Masters of Evernight. Figure they may make for more memorable opponents in the Stream.
jpk
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skylion wrote:
...As of tonite, I'm taking this idea off the back burner and sticking it in the oven. It is still a little half-baked. (recipe called from mixing metaphors).

Working on my regular Freeport game for this Sunday. But, when I done my oven mitts and pull this dish out, I think I shall be looking into the aformentioned new frontiers.

For what it's worth, my sweet corn bread pudding (a Thanksgiving favorite and currently on my mind) starts, literally, on my back burner before it is eventually half-baked. After that, I take it where the dinner will be and finish it off.

So, your mixed metaphor is my cooking method. Ouila!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: