Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help determining PP of a power?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TTM
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Help determining PP of a power? Reply with quote

One of my players is a Druid who wants to be able to gather information and generally seem wise and mysterious. An idea he had for a spell was to be able to call a small animal, and take control (and be able to use its senses). Looking through the Fantasy Toolkit I found a power that would translate nicely, Wandering Senses. Here's what I came up with:

Animal Spy
Power Points: ?
Range: As far as the critter can run/fly/slither.
Duration: 1 min (1/min)
Effect: A small animal of your choice is summoned from the nearby area. The caster can control this animal and use its senses for the duration of the spell. The caster is unable to take any actions of his own during this time.

How many PP should this cost? Does 3-4 sound about right for a power of this duration?
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Help determining PP of a power? Reply with quote

TTM wrote:
One of my players is a Druid who wants to be able to gather information and generally seem wise and mysterious. An idea he had for a spell was to be able to call a small animal, and take control (and be able to use its senses). Looking through the Fantasy Toolkit I found a power that would translate nicely, Wandering Senses. Here's what I came up with:

Animal Spy

Why not use beast friend with a simple modification--the druid can use the animal's senses, but in return the animal can't be bigger than Size -2 (if you really want just rats and birds) or Size -1 if you want to allow large cats and dogs.

Keep everything else the same.
TTM
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, how did I forget about that power? Embarassed Beast Friend + shared senses it is, then. Thank you!
I have a bad habit of over complicating things.. Mr. Green
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Beast Friend leaves you with a pet beast, the Animal Spy spell would not.

SteveN
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snate56 wrote:
Well, Beast Friend leaves you with a pet beast, the Animal Spy spell would not.

SteveN

I think you might be talking about the Beast Master Edge. Beast friend is a spell that lets you control animals for a short period--just like the OP's Animal Spy.
Artking3
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This power from Deadlands Reloaded is similar to what you are looking for. I would lower the Point Point cost to 1 or 2, and waive the opposed roll.

Mind Rider
Power Points: 3
Range: 1 mile x Spellcasting
Duration: 1/minute
A character can use this ability to hear through a subjectís ears, see through his eyes, etc. This is an opposed roll of the casterís arcane skill versus the targetís Spirit.
Sunwolf
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Help determining PP of a power? Reply with quote

I too have had this problem.

TTM wrote:
Looking through the Fantasy Toolkit I found a power that would translate nicely, Wandering Senses.

My question to you is, if Wandering Senses works for you, why can't everything else just be trappings? That'd be my call.

IMO. I've found that most of the powers I want can be modeled with just SWEX. YMMV and all that.

Second rule, don't forget the trappings

Rule #6: If violence wasn't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.
TTM
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the biggest problem was that wandering senses had a very short duration and range, the tradeoff being that these wandering senses are generally undetectable. The difference with Beast Friend is the ability to use the animal's senses. So, add a slight limit (small critters only) and a slight advantage (using its senses) I'll just make it an alternate trapping of the power as-is. A slight tweak to Beast Friend seems to fit the bill nicely Smile

Still not sure how we managed to overlook it, thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: