Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Human cultural Edges/Hindrances

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Torillan
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Human cultural Edges/Hindrances Reply with quote

I'm currently working on a Player's Guide to build characters for a SW Pathfinder Chronicles game I'm planning to run soon.

My question is this: should I create a list for Hindrances and Edges for the Human cultural groups similar to the non-human ones from Wizards & Warriors? Should I even bother?

I'm using the guidelines from the Fantasy World-Builders toolkit for balance.

Any suggestions or questions regarding my sanity are welcome.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Human cultural Edges/Hindrances Reply with quote

Torillan wrote:
My question is this: should I create a list for Hindrances and Edges for the Human cultural groups similar to the non-human ones from Wizards & Warriors? Should I even bother?

Pardon my confusion, but are you saying to design the human cultural groups as separate races (that's the only thing that combines Edges and Hindrances I can think of)?

Or do you mean coming up with specific Racial Edges for humans?

www.peginc.com
Torillan
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Human cultural Edges/Hindrances Reply with quote

[quote="Clint]Pardon my confusion, but are you saying to design the human cultural groups as separate races (that's the only thing that combines Edges and Hindrances I can think of)?

Or do you mean coming up with specific Racial Edges for humans?[/quote]

I mean designing them like individual races, not specific human Racial Edges. For example, making a northern barbarian type Illiterate (-1), Superstitious (-1), and Brawny (+2), while also giving them either a choice of Edge or choosing one for them equivalent to the free human Edge (ie - a +2 from Fantasy WB toolkit).

I hope that clears it up. Sorry to confuse!
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Human cultural Edges/Hindrances Reply with quote

Torillan wrote:
I mean designing them like individual races, not specific human Racial Edges. For example, making a northern barbarian type Illiterate (-1), Superstitious (-1), and Brawny (+2), while also giving them either a choice of Edge or choosing one for them equivalent to the free human Edge (ie - a +2 from Fantasy WB toolkit).

I hope that clears it up. Sorry to confuse!

Not a problem. Anyway, I personally wouldn't do it.

I just don't like making cultures into "races." I prefer races that are physical differences or outside societal influences than simple influences from a culture that an intriguing backstory could drop like a hot potato.

To me, interesting PCs are often the characters who are "I'm from the Nothern Barbarian tribes, but...

...I learned to read from a traveling merchant...
...I discovered the shaman was using superstitions to manipulate the tribe...
...I was the smallest of the chief's sons...

...and that led me to leave my homeland and see the outside world."

With the freedom of SW character creation any of those (or all of them) could be designed into the character without having to worry about being stuck with a cultural "race."

With cultures, my preference is to provide a list of common Hindrances and possibly Background Edges associated with them. The players don't have to take them, but it gives an idea of what those cultures are like. For instance...

Thelaxian - Overconfident, Arrogant, Stubborn, Noble, Rich
Barisian - Outsider, Curious, Wanted, Luck, Great Luck, Quick
Choanti - Outsider, All Thumbs, Vow (Tribal Code), Berserk, Brawny

Just random ideas of course. Wink

www.peginc.com
Torillan
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint Black wrote:
With cultures, my preference is to provide a list of common Hindrances and possibly Background Edges associated with them. The players don't have to take them, but it gives an idea of what those cultures are like.

Thanks, Clint. That was my initial thought, but I started tinkering (bad, bad GM!!) and I started second-guessing and supposing. That'll learn me!
supercOntra
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd do it to make humans more varied which I like. But that's my personal preference
steelbrok
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be tempted to do it in a genre where humans are the only race but not when you have other races too
Wendigo1870
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also make 'Culture packages', with fitting balancing Edges and Hindrances used together (your 'northern barbarian' culture package for example). Then you can give these to either Race. (Hurrah, Northern Barbarian Elves!)
This can give you cultural diversity for your races if you want. Those players who don't want the cultural stereotype are of course free to make their PC however they like.
(Maybe you can take it even a step further: the GM makes the Cultural Edge/hindrance Package. These don't count against a PC's normal Edge/hindrance list. BEWARE: this is however a possibility for munchkins and min-max'ers to exploit, and/or can unbalance the game.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: