Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Warhammer & 40k Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> The Break Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What's better? Warhammer: Fantasy or Warhammer 40k?
Warhammer: Fantasy
29%
 29%  [ 10 ]
Warhammer 40k
32%
 32%  [ 11 ]
Both are awesome!
26%
 26%  [ 9 ]
Either or
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't care
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
Never tried, but I want to
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 34

dman971
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:12 am    Post subject: Warhammer & 40k Discussion Reply with quote

I couldn't really find a Warhammer: Fantasy or a Warhammer 40k forum, so I thought I'd start one here in The Break Room.

Anyone play Warhammer or 40k?

I was interested in seeing if people had any ideas for what could possibly be some new races for Warhammer and for 40k as well? And why?

I think this would be a cool discussion! Who's up for it?
dman971
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few idea's that I had for some new races

Warhammer-

1. There needs to be an "asian/oriental" race! Seriously! How cool would that be? you have ancient samurai characters, ninjas for "fast attack", etc. Taking all the classic/historical aspects of Japan and the Far East! Riflemen! Mounted Calvary! Maybe some ancient magic, to summon a dragon or demons ( "Oni", in Japanese folklore! )

2. A race of highly intelligent insects! Not Tyranids. Maybe something like "ants" and other things. Perhaps something based off the bugs from Starship Troopers! Perhaps the "heavy hitters", could look like Goliath Beetles! I think that would be something cool.

Warhammer 40k-

1. A race of cat-folk/people! Some of the leaders or units in charge, would be Lions, White Lions, etc. It would setup for a great storyline, due to the whole "pride" and family-group aspect with big-cats in the wild.

2. A race from some "ice world". Possibly following some form of religion or belief that they're trying to cleanse the world through their "frigid wrath"? lol
Lord Skudley
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to play with the minis. But you already knew that!
dman971
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Skudley wrote:
I like to play with the minis. But you already knew that!

Yes, yes I did. I know this... all TOO well. Haha.
Nothing better than gaming with good ole Lord Skudley!
dman971
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always find it confusing that people look at discussions/posts... but rarely respond or contribute. Why is that? Haha
There's been over 20 views of this post, but then... the only people who've responded are myself and my friend Lord Skudley.

I just find it interesting that's all...

I would really like for this to be an actual discussion and fun topic for people
Magnus
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WH40K
Warhammer is nothing special, IMO. It's pretty common with dark fantasy settings in Europe compared to the US is my feeling, but I don't see anything special about it.

WH40K on the other hand... not only is it the grand-ol'-setting of Gothic Sci Fi, it is also extremely rich and complex in the styles of games you can run in it.
My greatest RP moments are from our 40K games (we used an amalgamation of Necromunda and Rogue Trader (the original) rules + a few house rules). Later I tried to use GURPS...

It was due to 40K that I changed from GURPS to Savage Worlds. First I had spend hours and hours making a GURPS conversion only to see it fall to pieces as soon as we started playing. Then one of my friends told me to give SW a try...

It's been Savage Worlds ever since...

Magnus

PS: I'll see if I can dig up the old stuff tonight I made for my IG campaign.
dman971
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnus wrote:
WH40K
Warhammer is nothing special, IMO. It's pretty common with dark fantasy settings in Europe compared to the US is my feeling, but I don't see anything special about it.

WH40K on the other hand... not only is it the grand-ol'-setting of Gothic Sci Fi, it is also extremely rich and complex in the styles of games you can run in it.
My greatest RP moments are from our 40K games (we used an amalgamation of Necromunda and Rogue Trader (the original) rules + a few house rules). Later I tried to use GURPS...

It was due to 40K that I changed from GURPS to Savage Worlds. First I had spend hours and hours making a GURPS conversion only to see it fall to pieces as soon as we started playing. Then one of my friends told me to give SW a try...

It's been Savage Worlds ever since...

Magnus

PS: I'll see if I can dig up the old stuff tonight I made for my IG campaign.

excellent!
Lord Lance
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dman971 wrote:
Here are a few idea's that I had for some new races

Warhammer-

1. There needs to be an "asian/oriental" race! Seriously!

It's done, and quite well indeed, thanks Kellri blog!!!

http://kellri.truculent.org/WFRP1e_Cathay.pdf

PS: WFRP 3rd edition is quite bad IMHO... Done to sell cards and expensive books, all built around a weird custom dice roll, with A LOT of "add x dices", check result, lose 1 hour to decide what to do with the result, and find a way to describe it in RpG terms, if you still feel like to do it #1eek13 Go savage it!!! Mr. Green (IMHO of course)

Proud creator of the SAVAGE FREE BESTIARY
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dman971 wrote:
1. There needs to be an "asian/oriental" race! Seriously! How cool would that be? you have ancient samurai characters, ninjas for "fast attack", etc.

Technically, there already is. "Cathay" is the Warhammer equivalent of China, and "Nippon" is the Warhammer equivalent of Japan. I actually have a few Games Workshop samurai miniatures that I got a long, long time ago (on clearance when the new edition at the time of WFB came out and there was no longer an army list for Nippon troops). There are still some references to Cathay, at least, in the Ogre Kingdoms book, and Clan Eshin of the Skaven supposedly learned their techniques in the far east.

The trouble is, Games Workshop tends to put out armies ... and then if they don't sell well enough, they drop all support, and then your Space Dwarves or your Imperial Guard Beastmen or your Fimirs or what-have-you are no longer valid troop types (unless your opponent is generous and allows you to field "proxies").

Quote:
2. A race from some "ice world". Possibly following some form of religion or belief that they're trying to cleanse the world through their "frigid wrath"? lol

In Warhammer Fantasy, you'd have Kislev (whose ruler is the Ice Queen). In Warhammer 40K, you'd have Imperial Guard Valhallans (who inhabit an "Ice World"), and Space Wolves (of the usually-snowy world Fenris).
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the Ogre Kingdom just a play off of the whole "Mongolians/Huns"? That's how they appear to look and their background sort of depicts that as well.
Magnus
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(posting stuff for Savage 40K over in homebrews & conversions so I don't hijack this thread)
foggy
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer playing with Warhammer: Fantasy Smile
Talison
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with Fantasy but eventually played equally. However I haven't played Fantasy since just after the first Ogre Kingdoms book came out, although I went on to buy the next Dwarf Army book. I'd be happy to play it again, but in my area there's just more 40K players and I have no problem with that. I love 40K.
The Dead Ranger
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played about 20 games of 40K and only two of fantasy. I play Tau in 40K and Wood Elves in fantasy. There are elements of the fantasy rules I don't like, such as only the first rank of archers being able to fire, unless they're on a hill, plus the inability to fire over interveneing units. Apparently the Warhammer World has not yet discover the arc of fire. Confused However, if rumors are correct, it sounds like the new edition of the rules may correct this issue.

I like the 40K setting better overall, but both games have their points. I need to get in some more fantasy games to be able to make an informed choice.

"If everyone's having fun, then you're doing it right."
Talison
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's how fire in Warhammer Fantasy has been since I started playing in 1994. I'd be amazed if they changed that.
CynicalMisfit
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved playing both Fantasy and 40k. When I was younger I used to play a lot of fantasy battles with friends on the good ol' ping pong table a friend of mine had in his garage. Ah, good times. But as time progressed I started testing the waters with 40k. Up until recently I started to realize Games Workshop is hazardous to my wallet and have pretty much stopped playing it in favor of Savage Worlds.

"Wait, your telling me I can role play, play skirmishes and make my own units to field as well? where do I sign up?!" Very Happy
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like warhammer except I dont like games ware to win you have to spend more and more money you cant just use any mini and give it a point value
steelbrok
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VonDan wrote:
I would like warhammer except I dont like games ware to win you have to spend more and more money you cant just use any mini and give it a point value

There's nothiong to stop you doing this in your own games
Lord Abaddon of Wormwood
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the 40K'vers. I enjoy Ddan Abnett's work to the point that I have read most of his work twice... at least.

As for the rule system behind GW's mini games ---- they are fixtures of the early nineties that so need to be retooled, not "fixed" but retooled into the games that they should be.

I have the Dark Heresy rpg (first printing from Black Library) but have never really gave it must thought as I am PRGing less (read not at all) and wargaming more. I have tasted Two Hour Wargames Reaction system (man if a game ever needed an iphone app - Ed's stuff sure does) and while I cannot stand the format of the books the system is clever. I want to be able to game the stories I read in the Black Library novels - not have the idea of gaming them only to find that is a pipe dream.

Lord Abaddon of Wormwood
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelbrok wrote:
VonDan wrote:

There's nothiong to stop you doing this in your own games

thats why I have 2000 army men (of 20 types) and 500 assorted fantacy mini and several books or rules set for them from the 1800's to now. But every only wants to play the new cool pre painted games
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> The Break Room All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: