Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Warhammer & 40k Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> The Break Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What's better? Warhammer: Fantasy or Warhammer 40k?
Warhammer: Fantasy
29%
 29%  [ 10 ]
Warhammer 40k
32%
 32%  [ 11 ]
Both are awesome!
26%
 26%  [ 9 ]
Either or
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't care
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
Never tried, but I want to
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 34

Author Message
marshal kt
Legendary


Joined: 13 May 2003
Posts: 2548
Location: west palm beach, fl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several 40k and whfb discussion sites, some are attached to trading sites like bartwown and others are more open and from an insiders view, like warseer. Dakkar also is primarly 40k.

I've bought and played GW games and minis since the 80's.

You don't see alot of info posted here, because GW activly persures all percieved IP infringement.
I was working on a 40K conversion years ago with someone from here, on his website. He received a cease & desist order from GW.
Ironic, since they copied most every race of theirs from other sci-fi. Alot of the fantasy was originally taken from Tolkien back in the 80's, like D&D did.

GW is a company that makes minis, and then releases and rereleases new rules for them, as well as splat/rulebooks.

Rules aren't balanced and the newset race, army has the best stuff for the rules.
It's never been balanced and is now more like playing yatzhee; the more dice you roll, the better chance you have of winning. [stolen from a sig line on bartertown.]

This site is for SW and PEG products. They let us post about other systems; but as soon it starts talking about COMPETITIORS games, especially one who likes to sue, the posting will be deleted.
_________________
"I'm Hotep"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Takeda
Heroic


Joined: 28 Apr 2009
Posts: 1438

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually running a limited Savaged: WFB for one of my DM's. To get him more up to speed on the fantasy aspects of SW as he's thinking of converting to it from Harnmaster but using the Harn setting.

Mechanics of the system ... I much prefer SW but the setting is really good and lots of good source material.
_________________
Dean: "Ya' know she could be faking."
Sam: "Yeah, what do you wanna do, poke her with a stick?"
[Dean nods]
Sam: "Dude, you're not gonna poke her with a stick?"
Supernatural Quotes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
inlife9
Veteran


Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 669

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am more of a Confrontation/ AT-43 guy.
The world of Aarklash is more intresting. IMHO.
With that said, I have never run either. I have been a player in both. So as a player, Fantasy Warhammer is a great Rpg inviroment. 40k is also, but feels to blocky and held back for my taste. I would play fantasy again, but may turn down the 40k game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VonDan
Legendary


Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Posts: 3746

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found the WH 40K Chaos Space marine book for $1.99

Nergel just sounds to cute to be evil I picture a muppit named Nergel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
marshal kt
Legendary


Joined: 13 May 2003
Posts: 2548
Location: west palm beach, fl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try Nurgul, not nergel...and picture a large toad, hutt looking thing.
_________________
"I'm Hotep"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VonDan
Legendary


Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Posts: 3746

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marshal kt wrote:
try Nurgul, not nergel...and picture a large toad, hutt looking thing.


Yeah Nurgul Kermits evil brother
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
CynicalMisfit
Novice


Joined: 28 Oct 2009
Posts: 55

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marshal kt wrote:
try Nurgul, not nergel...and picture a large toad, hutt looking thing.


Not to be nit picky but I think it is spelled "Nurgle". On a side though, I love the fantasy setting much more than the 40k setting. The Warhammer world to me feels like it is more vibrant than the countless planets dotting the known universe in 40k.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Magnus
Veteran


Joined: 31 Jan 2007
Posts: 858
Location: Avalon (www.avalon.dk)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CynicalMisfit wrote:
marshal kt wrote:
try Nurgul, not nergel...and picture a large toad, hutt looking thing.


Not to be nit picky but I think it is spelled "Nurgle". On a side though, I love the fantasy setting much more than the 40k setting. The Warhammer world to me feels like it is more vibrant than the countless planets dotting the known universe in 40k.


Somehow trying to correct the spelling of CHAOS gods seems wrong... Wink
_________________
Garden of Athena
Book 1: Dogs of Hades
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
marshal kt
Legendary


Joined: 13 May 2003
Posts: 2548
Location: west palm beach, fl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CynicalMisfit wrote:
marshal kt wrote:
try Nurgul, not nergel...and picture a large toad, hutt looking thing.


Not to be nit picky but I think it is spelled "Nurgle". On a side though, I love the fantasy setting much more than the 40k setting. The Warhammer world to me feels like it is more vibrant than the countless planets dotting the known universe in 40k.


thanks, that's what I get for writing when tired. Embarassed
_________________
"I'm Hotep"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lord Abaddon of Wormwood
Seasoned


Joined: 07 Sep 2004
Posts: 471

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw a yellow/green sports car (what we in Australia call a Grey Market Car 'cause it needs importing) last week with the number plate "Nurgle" - then it hit me - Puss Yellow car. So Cool but so Wrong.



Lord Abaddon of Wormwood
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
serene_muse
Novice


Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 91

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncie Nurgie wuvs yooooooo-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jerepp
Seasoned


Joined: 30 Jan 2007
Posts: 209

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

serene_muse wrote:
Uncie Nurgie wuvs yooooooo-


Good way to get an STD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CynicalMisfit
Novice


Joined: 28 Oct 2009
Posts: 55

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnus wrote:
CynicalMisfit wrote:
marshal kt wrote:
try Nurgul, not nergel...and picture a large toad, hutt looking thing.


Not to be nit picky but I think it is spelled "Nurgle". On a side though, I love the fantasy setting much more than the 40k setting. The Warhammer world to me feels like it is more vibrant than the countless planets dotting the known universe in 40k.


Somehow trying to correct the spelling of CHAOS gods seems wrong... Wink


So true, so true. It's even more entertaining to listen to people try to pronounce "Tzeentch" correctly (i probably spelled that wrong as well, lol).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
islan
Heroic


Joined: 17 Dec 2008
Posts: 1140

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been times when I've thought about looking deeper into the Warhammer setting, but what I've heard of GW turns me away. It certainly seems like a lot of people like it for something, but at face-value I can't tell what makes it more special than any other setting.

Also considering how expensive getting into Warhammer can be, I'm a little hesitant to ask someone to school me in the coolness of it...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CynicalMisfit
Novice


Joined: 28 Oct 2009
Posts: 55

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can determine it's GW's version of Tolkien fantasy with a smattering of homebrew thrown in for flavor. I was never a big fan of the 40k version so I know less about it than I do the fantasy universe. I was a fan for the longest time because my older brother was in to it. Sadly with the price hikes on their models and the horrible iron grip they have on their IP via their lawyer department, I had to bid it all a fond farewell. I am not saying GW is a bad company, but I just feel personally some of GW's business practices have turned me off from wanting to support them from here on out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thunderforge
Veteran


Joined: 24 Sep 2009
Posts: 946

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Warhammer 40K setting, but hate how characters really suck. I built a guy in Dark Heresy once and got frustrated when I only hit a guy 1 out of 10 times (and one of those misses was a point blank shot!). What am I, from the Stormtrooper school of marksmanship?

Also played Warhammer Fantasy 2nd Edition and my Halfling (the only literate member of a party) only had a 20% chance of reading something. That nearly killed our "Enemy Within" campaign when we realized that the only way to get started in the premade campaign was to actually read the notice on the sign.

Now some people say that it's part of the setting, that you're character's supposed to suck. I say that's just stupid. When was the last time in one of the books that someone failed to shoot someone at point blank? I like the feel of the universe, I like the setup, I like the cool epic battles. I don't like the fact that my character only has, at best, a 30% chance of doing anything.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marshal kt
Legendary


Joined: 13 May 2003
Posts: 2548
Location: west palm beach, fl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderforge wrote:
I like the Warhammer 40K setting, but hate how characters really suck. I built a guy in Dark Heresy once and got frustrated when I only hit a guy 1 out of 10 times (and one of those misses was a point blank shot!). What am I, from the Stormtrooper school of marksmanship?

Also played Warhammer Fantasy 2nd Edition and my Halfling (the only literate member of a party) only had a 20% chance of reading something. That nearly killed our "Enemy Within" campaign when we realized that the only way to get started in the premade campaign was to actually read the notice on the sign.

Now some people say that it's part of the setting, that you're character's supposed to suck. I say that's just stupid. When was the last time in one of the books that someone failed to shoot someone at point blank? I like the feel of the universe, I like the setup, I like the cool epic battles. I don't like the fact that my character only has, at best, a 30% chance of doing anything.


well said.

under the dark heresay rules, I had a combat sniper.. i had less than a 30% chance to hit.

tpk/tpw when a stray shot ignited the leaking promethium and blew up everything..including the bad guys.

in the original fantasy rules, i don't know if they've changed, i set up a dwarf with the career path to slayer. i had more of a chance to die since i wore no armour. so much for the toughness of the s;ayers.

good minis. good fiction. poor rules. fantasy. 40k. fantasy rpg. 40krpg.
_________________
"I'm Hotep"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Magnus
Veteran


Joined: 31 Jan 2007
Posts: 858
Location: Avalon (www.avalon.dk)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marshal kt wrote:

(snip)
good minis. good fiction. poor rules. fantasy. 40k. fantasy rpg. 40krpg.


Your piece of modern poem sums it up pretty well... Smile


I was very disappointed when I tried out the Dark Heresy. Extremely high production value, good concept, fantastic setting, not so good rules... We're supposed to be playing elites handpicked by an Inquisitor, not cannon fodder! 25% in my best skills, give me a break.
_________________
Garden of Athena
Book 1: Dogs of Hades
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jerepp
Seasoned


Joined: 30 Jan 2007
Posts: 209

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnus wrote:
marshal kt wrote:

(snip)
good minis. good fiction. poor rules. fantasy. 40k. fantasy rpg. 40krpg.


Your piece of modern poem sums it up pretty well... Smile


I was very disappointed when I tried out the Dark Heresy. Extremely high production value, good concept, fantastic setting, not so good rules... We're supposed to be playing elites handpicked by an Inquisitor, not cannon fodder! 25% in my best skills, give me a break.


And as soon as you start actually get good enough to get into the realm of the inspirational fiction... the rules tell the GM to take your characters away and start a new set of useless weebs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cryonic
Veteran


Joined: 21 Oct 2009
Posts: 919

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marshal kt wrote:
Thunderforge wrote:
I like the Warhammer 40K setting, but hate how characters really suck. I built a guy in Dark Heresy once and got frustrated when I only hit a guy 1 out of 10 times (and one of those misses was a point blank shot!). What am I, from the Stormtrooper school of marksmanship?

Also played Warhammer Fantasy 2nd Edition and my Halfling (the only literate member of a party) only had a 20% chance of reading something. That nearly killed our "Enemy Within" campaign when we realized that the only way to get started in the premade campaign was to actually read the notice on the sign.

Now some people say that it's part of the setting, that you're character's supposed to suck. I say that's just stupid. When was the last time in one of the books that someone failed to shoot someone at point blank? I like the feel of the universe, I like the setup, I like the cool epic battles. I don't like the fact that my character only has, at best, a 30% chance of doing anything.


well said.

under the dark heresy rules, I had a combat sniper.. i had less than a 30% chance to hit.

tpk/tpw when a stray shot ignited the leaking promethium and blew up everything..including the bad guys.

in the original fantasy rules, i don't know if they've changed, i set up a dwarf with the career path to slayer. i had more of a chance to die since i wore no armour. so much for the toughness of the s;ayers.

good minis. good fiction. poor rules. fantasy. 40k. fantasy rpg. 40krpg.


Does that 30% chance to hit count the bonus for Best Craftsmanship weapons (+10), Sharpshooter (+20 when aiming instead of +10) or any other bonuses?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> The Break Room All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum