Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Warhammer & 40k Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> The Break Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What's better? Warhammer: Fantasy or Warhammer 40k?
Warhammer: Fantasy
29%
 29%  [ 10 ]
Warhammer 40k
32%
 32%  [ 11 ]
Both are awesome!
26%
 26%  [ 9 ]
Either or
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't care
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
Never tried, but I want to
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 34

Tavis
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cryonic wrote:

Does that 30% chance to hit count the bonus for Best Craftsmanship weapons (+10), Sharpshooter (+20 when aiming instead of +10) or any other bonuses?

Or the +30% for shooting at point blank range?

In my experience, both Dark Heresy and WFRP 2nd Edition are all about the modifiers.

The 'base skill level' represents the characters chance to do something "challenging" - often the tasks being performed warrant a bonus - or a bonus can be gained through character actions.

Want to hit more often? Then aim, rather than firing from the hip, or close to a more favourable range.

Maybe with your Reading/Writing skill you only have a 20% chance of making it through the whole of War and Peace, but a simple sign that says 'Help Wanted' might not even warrant a roll ...

But that's just my experience.

SWD: 50 Fathoms (GM)
marshal kt
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cryonic wrote:
marshal kt wrote:
Thunderforge wrote:
I like the Warhammer 40K setting, but hate how characters really suck. I built a guy in Dark Heresy once and got frustrated when I only hit a guy 1 out of 10 times (and one of those misses was a point blank shot!). What am I, from the Stormtrooper school of marksmanship?

Also played Warhammer Fantasy 2nd Edition and my Halfling (the only literate member of a party) only had a 20% chance of reading something. That nearly killed our "Enemy Within" campaign when we realized that the only way to get started in the premade campaign was to actually read the notice on the sign.

Now some people say that it's part of the setting, that you're character's supposed to suck. I say that's just stupid. When was the last time in one of the books that someone failed to shoot someone at point blank? I like the feel of the universe, I like the setup, I like the cool epic battles. I don't like the fact that my character only has, at best, a 30% chance of doing anything.

well said.

under the dark heresy rules, I had a combat sniper.. i had less than a 30% chance to hit.

tpk/tpw when a stray shot ignited the leaking promethium and blew up everything..including the bad guys.

in the original fantasy rules, i don't know if they've changed, i set up a dwarf with the career path to slayer. i had more of a chance to die since i wore no armour. so much for the toughness of the s;ayers.

good minis. good fiction. poor rules. fantasy. 40k. fantasy rpg. 40krpg.

Does that 30% chance to hit count the bonus for Best Craftsmanship weapons (+10), Sharpshooter (+20 when aiming instead of +10) or any other bonuses?

I didn't see any of that available as a '1st level' character. actually, they were pre-generated characters.
my next character was a tech-adept. he was all about linguistics. the game group fell apart after the 2nd session.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week I found a Chaos 40k book and a few months ago I got a space marine book. The space marine book is a newer version that has the space Nuns intoduced in a 40k video game. so when will there be evil Chaos Sace Nuns just to be fair

Last edited by VonDan on Sat May 01, 2010 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
marshal kt
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the sisters of battle have been out for a good 10 years. the chaos version of them are the deamonettes of slaanesh [sp?].
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it's all new to me I dont get the books untill I find them for under $2. I'd adictd to the rpg bargin Bin
marshal kt
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might want to check out paperbackbookswap.com . it's free to join. once you list 10 books, you get 2 free credits. every book you send out gets you 1 credit. Every book, hardback, anthology, omnibus or novel, is only 1 credti.
You can also purchase credits. They about $3.50 each.
Cryonic
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VonDan wrote:
well it's all new to me I dont get the books untill I find them for under $2. I'd adictd to the rpg bargain Bin

Well, none of those books are part of the RPG, heheh. They are part of the Miniatures Battles. For 40k, they are up to the 5th edition of the rules (which is probably why you're finding books in the bargain bins).
Magnus
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cryonic wrote:
VonDan wrote:
well it's all new to me I dont get the books untill I find them for under $2. I'd adictd to the rpg bargain Bin

Well, none of those books are part of the RPG, heheh. They are part of the Miniatures Battles. For 40k, they are up to the 5th edition of the rules (which is probably why you're finding books in the bargain bins).

potAYto, potAHto - it's all in the same bin in my FLGS...

I'm happy everytime 40K changes edition! Then I can get the books for next to nothing, and they often have great stuff I use for my RPG campaigns.

So I'm all for Games Workshop making new editions every six months... Smile
serene_muse
Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WH40K fluff is so garbled and all over the place anyway that whatever source you can find for your price range and that you enjoy is fine by me, esp. for roleplaying. Personally I'm rather fond of some of the 4chan /tg/'s take on the setting, but as even the archive sites are very very NSFW I won't link here. There are some rather extensive WH40K wikis out there too but one can get lost fast in those.

http://mr-culexus.deviantart.com/
is likely the most straightforward and least sanity draining of the lot, with some of the stories being directly from RPG sessions.
http://mr-culexus.deviantart.com/gallery/#Verloren-Hoop
especially IMO
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the WarHammer Fantasy Role Playing Game book circa 1995 for $2.

The cover has the orc with the zebra mowhawk in medieval gear.

I remember once seeing a book in a store that had the WarHammer Orc with the Zebra Mowhawk holding a stop sign as a shield and other clues it was a post apocalypse game like WarHammer / Gamma world. I did not get it as it was a $50 book 15 years ago

What game was it
Enpeze
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

serene_muse wrote:
WH40K fluff is so garbled and all over the place anyway that whatever source you can find for your price range and that you enjoy is fine by me, esp. for roleplaying. Personally I'm rather fond of some of the 4chan /tg/'s take on the setting, but as even the archive sites are very very NSFW I won't link here. There are some rather extensive WH40K wikis out there too but one can get lost fast in those.

http://mr-culexus.deviantart.com/
is likely the most straightforward and least sanity draining of the lot, with some of the stories being directly from RPG sessions.
http://mr-culexus.deviantart.com/gallery/#Verloren-Hoop
especially IMO

Regarding fluff: Interestingly the wh40k author I like best (Abnett) has VERY contradicting ideas (to the canon) in the Ravenor-series. His Rogue traders ships have crews of only 70 sailors. (but aside those strange numbers, the books as such are wonderful)
one-arm winters
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only played a a few small games of 40k.. What I like is Epic Space Marine.. later revised into Epic40k... I still have quite a few models.. though I have never been all that well at painting.

I also own the Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader books, but our group is stuck on Deadlands and Earthdawn currently, so probably won't play either any time soon.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading the War Hammer Fantasy Role Play book and remembering the post apocalypse war hammer cover I Once saw I had this idea

Warp Gate

During the empire crusade against Araby.

In the remote desert area east of Araby known as the land of the dead a large stone circle or portal was found that was made from warp stone. It was thought at the time that it was a left over Flann device for transporting to other worlds. Hidden away in a relic archive for 1000 years it was rediscovered and the (steam punk) Empire wants to put it to use to search for new weapons and allies against Chaos

General Hammer is in charge of the project

Commander UrKneel WG1 mission Commander

KaríTor Warrior Priestess well studied in the magic of warp stone and transmutation

Jakk Suon Inept academic who knows every possible musty old language and myth

Tí Lick Former Chaos Knight descended from a fallen Empire Brigade who has vowed to make up for his clans misdeads

Discuse
Noshrok Grimskull
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm an Ork, as you all know...

I have about 5000+ points (current codex) of 40k Orks, a 4000+ points Battlefleet Gothic Ork fleet, an Ork Blood Bowl team, more than enough models to equip several GorkaMorka mobs, a set of Epic 40k Orks, and a ... Vampire Counts army?! Strange, but true! Never got around to collecting an Ork army for Warhammer Fantasy, even though I did start once (and ended up using the parts for my 40k army).

"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes 'ding' when there's stuff." - The Doctor (Doctor Who)
Cryonic
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VonDan wrote:
After reading the War Hammer Fantasy Role Play book and remembering the post apocalypse war hammer cover I Once saw I had this idea

Warp Gate

During the empire crusade against Araby.

In the remote desert area east of Araby known as the land of the dead a large stone circle or portal was found that was made from warp stone. It was thought at the time that it was a left over Flann device for transporting to other worlds. Hidden away in a relic archive for 1000 years it was rediscovered and the (steam punk) Empire wants to put it to use to search for new weapons and allies against Chaos

General Hammer is in charge of the project

Commander UrKneel WG1 mission Commander

KaríTor Warrior Priestess well studied in the magic of warp stone and transmutation

Jakk Suon Inept academic who knows every possible musty old language and myth

Tí Lick Former Chaos Knight descended from a fallen Empire Brigade who has vowed to make up for his clans misdeads

Discuss

This isn't really a post-apocalyptic setting. More of a loss of tech due to an inability to replace it on such a primitive world when the various races crashed here. Supposedly there are warpgates in the far north in the lands of chaos that are the remnants of the ships that crashed that had been carrying them. Based on the fluff that was found by the current GM we had, The World of Warhammer (yes, the world is known as Warhammer) was originally only inhabited by Dragons and Giants before the coming of other races.
gralga1
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: warhammer & 40k discussion Reply with quote

When 40k/fantasy first came out i disliked it intensely. Finally my game group and i got hooked on 2nd edition of both, plus Man 'o War, all the source books, Necromunda/gorka Morka, Net Epic etc. When 3rd ed. came out, we wouldnt touch it or any subsequent editions due to the amount of money already spent. We have role played it with traveller, gurps, d20 and now I think it would be best with SW. We always thought of 40k like a passion play/rock opera campaign. One thing we may do is have a set of modern day characters stuck in the 40k universe a la Farscape/Buck Rogers. Tour of Duty with drafted and experienced characters, mix of civilian, CIA, Spec Ops and grunts facing off Orks or a penal legion("FireBase Gloria") then having to interact with the 40k universe.
inlife9
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so after a long campaign to get me back in, my friends have finally got me to play 40K again.
It took them about 5 years to do it, but I guess I am ready to give 5th edition a go.
Fantasy & 40k have a long history with me. Usually ending up in building armies and watching it get dusty as my friends get mad at each other & stop playing. They are my buds, but wow they cry about the rules all the time, and cant seem to have fun unless they win, and if you are winning. they seem to enjoy trying to mske you have a terrible time winning. In short really bad sportman.
I met a new group to play AT43 with, but people moved and so on. So now I have the old GW group, but I think I will be playing only 2 people in it.
any way I am rolling with the Necrons.

Last edited by inlife9 on Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:18 pm; edited 4 times in total
Wendigo1870
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noshrok Grimskull wrote:
Well, I'm an Ork, as you all know...

WAAAAGH!!!
Let's kill sum humies, fellow greenskin!
DAKKA DAKKA!

Ahem,
I started way back somewhere in the nineties with Fantasy, started with Orcs, and stayed with them through all games.
Later on I started 40K (2nd edition). Back then it wasn't that grim-dark, but its increase throughout later years didn't bother me (on the contrary, ...)
So, WF Orcs, 40K Orks, Blood Bowl Orcs, Necromunda Orlocks (one of their best games!), GorkaMorka (even better, cuz Orkz-Only Wink )...

I strayed twice in trying Eldar, and Blood Bowl Dwarfs.
But I actually stopped playing a while ago, and am down to only buying fluff now (and Dark Heresy).

Anyway, for me the 40K-verse beats WHF hands-down. It's so over the top you can get away with (almost) anything and make it cool. I love it how every faction is (in contemporary morality) evil. More importantly, I like how everything is turned 'inside-out' compared to regular SF. There is almost no progress, wars are fought more in the attrition-war style of WW I and II, ignorance is actually a blessing and faith is the most powerful weapon of all, the future is a bleak inhospitable place (so not all is fiction Razz ), .... Not what you'd expect from your average SF setting!

I do 'like' the ideas 'fight for the survival of mankind' or 'mankind on the brink of destruction', ... Haha, yes, it's AFTER mankind spreads itself over the galaxy and unites in an Imperium that it's survival is threatened, not before that (when they were limited to one planet, low on resources, ...) Confused

Currently I'm our Dark Heresy GM (hence my lack of visits on this forum Embarassed ), and I can say our players do very well (they use the bonuses they can get very well, as it should be, ...). None of them were killed from combat (yet), although we had two characters who plummetted to their deaths, and two characters who were executed by other team-members (for various reasons).

The one problem I do feel (which is inherent in the setting) is that it's 'too big' for the players/single humans to make a difference (unless they're really special). You can hardly expose them to some typical Imperial ways without having the acolytes killed (or once more running for their lives). Running with Space Marines, an assault with the Penal legions, friendly conversation with Redemptionists, a file that suddenly got through the Administratum after hundreds of years, visiting your neigbouring death world planet, the necessary Exterminatus from time to time,... It's all grinding down humans by the scores, regardless of who you are. Which makes for a hard game to properly 'humanize', ... Especially when you know the average 40K human is a total psychopath by 2K standards.

Still, one of the most enjoyable universes to read about.
marshal kt
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious of the new 40k rpg. I had a link to it for a pre-order but I must've deleted it.
inlife9
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can we get some good 40k modeling links on here?

Last edited by inlife9 on Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> The Break Room All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: