Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[SPC] A Question Regarding Movement and Actions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
velikch
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: [SPC] A Question Regarding Movement and Actions Reply with quote

We're starting a game using the Super Powers Companion and one player stipulated that they'd like their character to be able to:

Quote:
Just being really quickly able to get behind someone, hit them really hard, and then be out of reach

FYI:
1. We're playing by the Street Heroes rules.
2. I've forbidden the following powers: Altered Form, Burrow, Damage Field, Extra Limbs, Teleport, and the Reach modifier for the Melee Attack power (as well as a number of other abilities/modifiers that I don't think play into this idea at all)
3. The game is set in the Matrix Universe (hence the restrictions, it needs to fit the universe we're playing in)

Options I'm considering:

1. I've suggested that they might try using a reach weapon.
2. I'm considering allowing Melee Attack to have a reach of +1 maximum, not unlike the Mongoose Leap edge from the Deadlands: The Flood so that players can have the sort of in-and-out of combat feel.
3. I'm also considering throwing a new modifier at Extra Actions that allows the player to split up their movement into two separate moves that they can do an action in the middle of. (No notion of cost just yet)

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Or maybe an alternative rule on movement and actions that allows for a player to split up their movement into two separate movements with an action in the middle?

I'm leaning in favor of allowing Melee Attack to have a +1 reach, but I'm definitely all ears about what you all think should be done.

---

On a side note, I'm creating a formal ruleset to accompany the SPC for playing in The Matrix Universe which I intend to make totally free. I'd like to run the game before making it available but I do plan on sharing it down the road...

...they took to it like Deadlands characters to Manitous...
The One
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd allow a longer reach for a Matrix setting, either you make long jumps, warp space to close the distance, or they represent short-range firearms attacks
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you already can split movement as you wish. Run up, attack, run away. However, you will still be subject to the enemy's free attack as you break contact with them.

SteveN
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: [SPC] A Question Regarding Movement and Actions Reply with quote

velikch wrote:
We're starting a game using the Super Powers Companion and one player stipulated that they'd like their character to be able to:

Quote:
Just being really quickly able to get behind someone, hit them really hard, and then be out of reach

A rank or two of Speed, a bit of Attack, Melee to hit fools, and possible Extra Action to use Tricks as you close with the foe. Tack on Extraction either as a real edge or as a Super Edge, possibly the Improved version, to make it safer to flee.

Move, perform Trick (-2 Parry), get "behind" foe, attack very hard, and move away. Done.

Leaping could work instead of Speed. And with Death From Above, you'll hit even harder.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: [SPC] A Question Regarding Movement and Actions Reply with quote

velikch wrote:
3. I'm also considering throwing a new modifier at Extra Actions that allows the player to split up their movement into two separate moves that they can do an action in the middle of. (No notion of cost just yet)

As someone mentioned, no need for this. Actions can already be resolved at any point along a character's movement.

www.peginc.com
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And they can use the Super Edge power to buy the combat edge Extraction and Improved Extraction. That would go a long way to denying their opponents a free attack as they move away.
velikch
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: [SPC] A Question Regarding Movement and Actions Reply with quote

Snate56 wrote:
I believe you already can split movement as you wish. Run up, attack, run away. However, you will still be subject to the enemy's free attack as you break contact with them.

Clint wrote:
As someone mentioned, no need for this. Actions can already be resolved at any point along a character's movement.

That was part of the reason I asked, I was uncertain of this. In all my gaming with Savage Worlds (6-ish years?) I don't really recall anyone doing this so I was unsure as to whether this was a rule somewhere (that is actions not being able to be done in the middle of movement) or if people just didn't do it because of the risk of parting shots.

Apparently it was the latter. Many thanks!

...they took to it like Deadlands characters to Manitous...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: