Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dishonored
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stormwell
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Dishonored Reply with quote

Planning on running a campaign based upon the video game Dishonored and I'm kicking about the possibility of running it via Savage Worlds, even more so since I have the custom tarot deck they did for the collector's edition.

So I'm wondering if anyone has attempted to Savage Dishonored yet?
stormwell
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the response looks like I'll have alot of work ahead.

So lets start with the easiest thing first, adapting the Dishonored Tarot Deck for use as an action deck.

Remove all the Major Arcana cards save for the Outsider, the Outsider card will function as the Joker card.

Suit order is as follows (going by what's actually stated);

The Rats Suit
The Skulls Suit
The Swords Suit
The Pistols Suit

Each suit contains (from high to low) 4 face cards and 10 numbered cards; King (K), Queen (Q), Commoner (C), Jack (J) and numbers 10 to 1.

For Initiative count down from King for the face cards and then from 10 for the numbered cards.

Next will be weapons.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a guy that was working on a conversion, but I haven't actually seen it.

It should be pretty doable.
Swords are swords, and are handily covered by the savage worlds rules.
Black powder firearms are also listed, and should work quite well.
A crossbow is a crossbow; the zoom is a function of the mask, not the weapon.
The wristbow is a small, fast-loading crossbow with multiple ammunition options. Figure it has toned-down crossbow stats with a faster reload (range 8/16/32, damage 2d6, RoF 1, weight 3, shots 1, $350).
The tallboy bow is an improved English longbow. Give it +1 damage, AP 1, and increase the 'weight' to 12 lbs (because it is bulky, not because it is heavy). Note that I am assuming Corvo has a d6 strength (letting him do cool stuff, meet the requirements for Assassin and Thief, and master the str+d4 rapier, but not strong enough to use the compound bow without penalties).

Incendiary ammunition makes the target likely to ignite, and might bypass unsealed armors. Treat targets as flammable (6+) or or very flammable (4+) depending upon how nasty you want whale oil fires to be.
Sedative ammunition causes knockouts. I'd model this on the slumber power, as a single target resisted by Vigor (at a -2 if you want it to be more powerful); the reason I'd use a resisted effect is to prevent bosses (i.e. Wild Cards) from being easily incapacitated by it. The other version is to use knockout poison (see Hazards in the Situational Rules chapter), but that is frighteningly powerful.

That just leaves the Supernatural.
You've got Overseers and Outsider abilities, plus Bone Charms. Overseers seem to be using a variant of Weird Science to produce dispel, barrier, and bolt with their Whale Oil Devices. Outsider abilities seem most like Arcane Background (Superpowers); you've got a starting trick, and you can focus your resources on either acquiring new abilities or improving your existing abilities. For both of these, you'll need to play with the powers and power lists some (Blink is probably a Novice version of teleport that limits you to the base power cost), but that model should work.
Bone charms are trickier. Much of what they do has similar effects to Edges or trait advancement. It might be worth using the Fantasy Companion magic item guidelines for bone charms, particularly the passive advantages such as gaining new edge-like benefits or increasing traits by a die type or even granting static bonuses. The line between bone charms and actual advancement is tricky to define, and ultimately is up to you and the style / tone you want to set.

I hope that helped.
stormwell
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:
I hope that helped.

Yes, that saved me a ton of work! Razz

I was working on converting Dishonored to another system, so at least I have somewhere to start from.

The Rat Plague can easily be tied to Vigor rolls.

Quote:
A character damaged by a melee attack made by a Weeper or a rat swarm has a chance of being infected with the Plague. Immediately after the attack has been resolved, the character must make a Vigor roll at -2. If he succeeds, he has resisted the disease. If he fails, he contracts the Plague. The first symptoms manifest after d3 days, at which time the character suffers a high fever (the victim counts as suffering from Fatigue and is Shaken). Every six hours thereafter he must make an additional Vigor roll against at -4. If the character passes three of these rolls, he fights of the disease. If he fails three of these rolls, the disease moves on to the advanced stage.

During the advanced stage the character becomes a Weeper (stats pending). This is also the final stage of the disease, unless a cure is administrated the character survives for another d3 weeks before dying. During this period the character will seek out and attack any nearby uninfected characters.

OSIAdept
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the plague and weeper elements were a major element in the game, but seems kinda harsh for every melee success, personally i would do it for a raise, and every raise after the first imposes a -1 penalty to a max of -4.

The setting it self was very awesome.

My online art portfolio
http://paintedsamurai.deviantart.com/

Black Stag Publishing
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Black-Stag-Publishing/223736847644167?sk=wall
stormwell
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OSIAdept wrote:
I know the plague and weeper elements were a major element in the game, but seems kinda harsh for every melee success, personally i would do it for a raise, and every raise after the first imposes a -1 penalty to a max of -4.

The setting it self was very awesome.

Yeah actually, thats a better way of doing things.
OSIAdept
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alchemy might also be worth taking a look at as a suitable AB for the setting i believe it is described in the SWFC.

My online art portfolio

Black Stag Publishing
stormwell
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OSIAdept wrote:
Alchemy might also be worth taking a look at as a suitable AB for the setting i believe it is described in the SWFC.

I'll take a look at some point.

Regardless the campaign I have in mind starts before the Plague arrives, the plan is to gradually build up things and follow events until we reach more or less the video game. The players will be part of a sort of detective agency called the Tresh Street Runners (a nod to London's Bow Street Runners), so some elements from Deadlands Noir may come in useful.
OSIAdept
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you also might want to take a look at the Runepunk setting from Reality Blurs. Alot of stuff can be mined or converted

My online art portfolio

Black Stag Publishing
The One
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd argue that Dishonoured doesn't require a great deal of conversion, as the assumption is that Corvo's powers are relatively rare/unique and the PC's are unlikely to have the same kind of powers.

Taking Alchemy and Weird Science as the standard Arcane Backgrounds (FC and SWD respectively), and most powers can easily be adapted with the right trappings.

If you do want to allow Corvo's powers, AB: Superpowers serves as a good basis, with the following paralells

Blink: Teleport
Darkvision: Darksight
Devouring Swarm: Blast with rat trapping (persists for a round but armour can be applied)
Possession: Puppet
Bend Time: Quickness
Windblast: Burst with a wind trapping (non-lethal but also performs the Push maneavuer)

Vitality, Agility and Bloodthirsty are just attribute increases to Vigor, Agility and Strength accordingly

Shadowkill might be best served as an add-on to the Assassin edge, allow you to spend 1PP to disolve a corpse.

Bone Charms are straight forward magical items from the FC, most of them granting +1 or +2 to a skill, or a limited use of Boost/Lower to enhance an attribute
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd treat the plague like a Poison or Disease from the Hazards section, spread by Induction. Damage that causes Shaken (or worse) forces a Vigor roll. The plague would be a Short Term Debilitating disease; re-infection upgrades it to Long Term Chronic, Minorly Debilitating. Further infection upgrades it to Long Term Chronic, Majorly Debilitating and the character is a Weeper. If it goes Long Term then vigor rolls will be every in-game day and every game session.

Simple to run (got Shaken by an infectious source? roll Vigor), fairly generous to PCs (being infected just sucks) but potentially fatal (multiple infections are very, very bad). Since Fatigue and Wound penalties apply to Vigor rolls, sickness or deadly blows make it more likely the character will become infected.

Side note: I do not understand the Savage Worlds Deluxe description for Short Term Debilitating diseases. They claim such illnesses are rare in the real world, but it sounds like the common cold to me.
OSIAdept
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corvo and the one group of assassins are the only known pacticioners of the Outsider gifts

My online art portfolio

Black Stag Publishing
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OSIAdept wrote:
Corvo and the one group of assassins are the only known pacticioners of the Outsider gifts

Hardly. http://dishonored.wikia.com/wiki/Outsider%27s_Mark
According to the game, there are eight marked individuals at that time, including Corvo and Daud. Each either caught the Outsider's interest or is in a position to seriously affect world events. Both criteria are regularly met by player characters, so it is not unreasonable for the unknown three to include a PC or two.

The Whalers get their powers from their leader (Daud), who has no real control over what powers an individual gets. Sounds like a plot device, which you can describe as a ritual if it comes up in game.
stormwell
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic is probably something I'll drop hints about until a ways into the campaign when they players will come face-to-face with it.

Though it depends whether the players want to use Savage Worlds or not.
stormwell
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at possibly stating up Granny Rags at some point.

The Superpowers background makes sense for those touched by the Outsider, maybe throw in the Darkness trapping as well?

Going by what power she supposedly has I'm probably looking at the following;

Teleport (for Blink), Darksight (for Darkvision), Pummel (for Windblast) and Summon Ally with a rat swarm trapping (for Devouring Swarm). Also probably Obscure for her ability to summon a thick cloud of mist.
Jim
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it exists in other settings, but Prolonged Blast from the Hellfrost Player's Guide might be appropriate for Devouring Swarm. The spell plants a medium or large burst template that remains as long as the caster concentrates (for the unitiated: magic is a bit more powerful in Hellfrost and there are no power points) and does 2d6 or more damage to anything entering it. I made up a villian in my Hellfrost that used it and the trapping was a swarm of coldfire beetles that would attack and bite anything within burst template, very similar to Devouring Swarm.
stormwell
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim wrote:
I don't know if it exists in other settings, but Prolonged Blast from the Hellfrost Player's Guide might be appropriate for Devouring Swarm. The spell plants a medium or large burst template that remains as long as the caster concentrates (for the unitiated: magic is a bit more powerful in Hellfrost and there are no power points) and does 2d6 or more damage to anything entering it. I made up a villian in my Hellfrost that used it and the trapping was a swarm of coldfire beetles that would attack and bite anything within burst template, very similar to Devouring Swarm.

I feel that Summon Ally with a rat swarm trapping works a bit better for Devouring Swarm, mainly because the swarm does move around is basically a rat swarm.
stormwell
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at sorting out some Dishonored Bestiary, can use a rat swarm for the rats, etc. Weepers and River Krusts are a bit trickier, so I'm starting with an easier one in the form of the Gravehound.

Basically use the stats listed for a Dog/Wolf with Undead and the following ability added on.

*Resurrection: Unless its skull is destroyed a Gravehound will resurrect after it had been 'killed' with all damage healed in 2d6 rounds.
stormwell
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought with regards to Runes, have them as extra one-use only Power Points?

Their purpose ingame is to purchase and upgrade new abilities, the latter could be translated into them being used with casting spells and making them more powerful (just like Power Points).

Got a copy of the Fantasy Companion and been reading through, thinking probably an idea if I just looked at what Bonecharms exist in the game and then translate those over.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stormwell wrote:
Just a thought with regards to Runes, have them as extra one-use only Power Points?

They fill the same game purpose as Advances in Savage Worlds. Specifically, they make your character permanently better at a particular thing. I see them as advances spent on new powers, increased arcane skill, more power points, or faster power point recovery.

You could do it as one-off power points, but I'd just use them as trappings for arcane advances.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: