Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kids in Gaming
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> The Break Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What age did you start playing RPGs with your child?
0-5 (preschool)
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
6-8 (1st through 3rd grade)
30%
 30%  [ 13 ]
9-11 (4th through 6th grade)
35%
 35%  [ 15 ]
12-14 (7th through 9th grade)
16%
 16%  [ 7 ]
15-17 (10th through 12th grade)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
18+
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 42

Magnus
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadric wrote:

Sometimes playing with tem is like wade trough honey.
A great problem is allways the "you could do/own/buy anything imaginable" Thing.

(snip)

QFT.

There are solutions, though. A few rules I've used (and broken when it suited me, btw, but don't tell the kids...):
All items must be bought between games and the kids must keep track of their money themselves. While anything they can afford can be bought, the GM (i.e. yours truly) reserve the right to refuse any purchase retroactively.
Many kids (especially, but not exclusively, girls) love to "equip" their character with pets, clothes, tools, etc. so who am I to stop them as long as it doesn't ruin the story. Btw if they bring pets, I warn them that they might get killed from colateral damage, this quickly cut down on the number of dogs, rabbits, wolves, owls, etc. they bring along.
Another way to cut short the "shopping tendencies" of players is simply to have a VERY limited supply in stores: "The Weapon smith has a small sword and a big sword for sale, anybody nees one?"....

As for focusing on the game at hand. One thing many kids love to do is "go off on my own". I have a very harsh rules here: the story is where the majority of the players are, so if a kid insists on going off on his own, he disappears from the story until he feels like coming back and joining the others.
In the same vein I have a rule that the majority of players can always stop another player from doing something stupid if they feel like it. I (as the GM) might imply that it's a bad idea, but I'll let him go ahead and do it if he isn't stopped. I find that if you actually let them do something stupid once in a while the rumors spread quickly and they stop doing it. This is one of the few cases where "rocks fall - you die" can actually serve a purpose.

Man, I do tend to get long-winded about this subject... I almost started a gamer story here... sorry.
Sadric
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I let them do something stupid, too. But often it ends that the other kids/players dont help him against the new problem that arrises from the stupid idea (you create it alone, you solve it alone). And this leads to more stupid ideas like shooting at "my so called friends that didnt help me when xyz likes to kill me!"
But, yes, on robotmen isnt allowed to visit on of the Ice-fragments (Koldos?) by treath of death because a bad Charisma deterioarated rapidly out of control and I didnt allow a "Ok, thats all didnt really happen."

But at least all three of them like roleplaying, talk about it, and they have fun without a PC/Wii. Laughing
This is worth a few hair that I rip out in despair. Cool
Lord Skudley
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadric wrote:
BTW they are 11-12 years old. And all of their Jedi PCs own brass knuckles. Wink

I don't know about anybody else, but Jedi with Brass Knuckles sounds prety awesome to me!!!
TommyBrownell
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Kids in Gaming Reply with quote

What age did you try out an RPG with your child? What prompted the decision? What qualities did you see in your child prior to gaming?

- Angelus was 6 when I started with him. He'd kept expressing interest in our Savage Worlds games, and I didn't want to subject our regular group to playing with a 6 year old.

What was the RPG system, and how did the first session go? Subsequent game systems and sessions? Why did you choose that system?

Star Wars Saga Edition was our first system, and we have done three sessions so far, each of which went well, though I do most of the heavy lifting with the rules. I went with that because my son LOVES Star Wars and I knew that a tactile element was going to be needed in order to grip him (maps and minis).

How often did you run an RPG for them before they wanted to GM?

Not currently GMing...(he's still 6)

Did they GM for others? How did you help? Who were the other players (family, same age friends, genders)?

Not applicable.

Do they still enjoy RPGs today? What do they play? What qualities do you see in your child that you think come from playing RPGs?

We're slowly branching out. We need to go back to Star Wars, though we have also played ICONS recently (which he liked way more than I did). I'm not sure I can state what impact RPGs have had on him yet.[/b]
samuraicrab
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I introduced my nephews to a RPG when they were 9 or so. tHEY KEPT TRYING TO KILL EACHOTHER. >.< It was fun for them but I doubt they will game on there own.
sablemage
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What age did you try out an RPG with your child? What prompted the decision? What qualities did you see in your child prior to gaming?

My daughters were about 12 when they started playing... they had been watching my regular group from hiding for some time, then my brother-in-law decided to run a game for us all. That was such fun I wish I had started them earlier.

Learning from that, I started involving my son from the age of about 9 or 10.

What was the RPG system, and how did the first session go? Subsequent game systems and sessions? Why did you choose that system?

My daughters started on GURPS, and my son on D&D 3.5. In each case, that was the system we were playing as a group at the time. The sessions all went well, but my son tended to charge off and attack everything that moved, so the rest of the party perforce had to back him up.

How often did you run an RPG for them before they wanted to GM?

In each case, only a couple of times.

Did they GM for others? How did you help? Who were the other players (family, same age friends, genders)?

Yes, after a short while they all started games for their own friends. I helped by making the rules, dice etc available, and for my daughters, by writing a few short scenarios to start them off. My son didn't require any help with scenarios, his idea of an adventure at age 10 was the party charging off looking for trouble, and then killing it and looting the body.

Do they still enjoy RPGs today? What do they play? What qualities do you see in your child that you think come from playing RPGs?

They all still enjoy RPGs now, although my daughters play rather than being GMs. When I GM, we play Savage Worlds. My son and his friends still play D&D as well, both 3rd and 4th editions.

It's hard to tell what qualities came from gaming; you never know what would have happened otherwise. That said...

One of my daughters became a novelist, and I think being a GM helped with that, although I don't think the ambition came from RPGs, just some of the "tools" of plotting and description. I think all of them were able to try different approaches to people and problems vicariously, on NPCs, without risking actual relationships. My son also picked up a fair grasp of small unit tactics, which I hopefully he won't have to use with real guns.

I got some wonderful memories. Still racking those up. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> The Break Room All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: