Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What will the future be like?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> The Break Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  

The world 300 years from now will be:
Star Trek—An age of galactic colonization and scientific exploration.
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Starcraft—An age of colonization and exploration cut short by interstellar warfare.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Planet of the Apes (the original, not the crappy redux)—Mankind has fallen off the evolutionary ladder, giving way to a new society.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Paranoia/1984/THX-1136—A dystopian age of unchecked social control and subservience.
25%
 25%  [ 11 ]
Mad Max/Book of Eli—Forget space travel. A post-civilization world of limited resources.
22%
 22%  [ 10 ]
Back to the Future II—Pretty much like it is now, but with cooler toys and worse fashion. Maybe we've colonized the moon, but we're still alone in the galaxy.
27%
 27%  [ 12 ]
Something else (explain below).
18%
 18%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 44

Rachan
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: What will the future be like? Reply with quote

I bought the entire Star Trek movie collection a few days ago. I've made it all the way to First Contact already.

in one of the special feature interviews, Harve Bennet (producer, Star Trek II-V) talks about two kinds of science fiction—pessimistic and optimistic. He says the reason he thinks Star Trek took off back in the Sixties was because it was really the first optimistic sci-fi story out there—it painted a bright future for humanity, while everything before it was all DOOM! and stuff.

This got me thinking … about Paranoia's Alpha Complex, about Starcraft and Starship Troopers, about Mad Max and Waterworld and The Book Of Eli.

What do you think 300 years in the future will actually be like?
newForumNewName
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The human species is a species of manipulators, not adaptors. What I mean is that we manipulate our environment instead of trying to harmonize or adapt to it. Barring a global extinction, the outlook for humanity is quite good. Medical advances are pushing the boundaries of mortality. Prosthetics are getting to the point that some are better than the original limbs. Neurology is mapping how nerves and nerve clusters such as the human brain function. We are discovering new and interesting things about molecular chemistry and physics (carbon fiber technologies, among other things). Defeating death is the real priority of all of our scientific advancements, so I think that in 300 years I should still be around and I'll let you know what its like #1eek13

"While nFNN could be less of a jerk about how he says what he says, what he says is essentially correct." -- ValhallaGH
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that humanity is getting closer and closer to a fate like in E. M. Forster's short story The Machine Stops. In this story, people live in small rooms where everything can be brought instantaneously with a push of a button. Nobody travels any more because everywhere on earth looks about the same. And people never visit each other anymore because they can just talk to each other via videoconferencing, which is just as good, right?

It's amazing that for a short story written in 1909, it's scary how much it describes the world in 2010. You could sit at your computer all day, Skyping everybody that you care to talk to, and getting everything you ever need, even food, delivered to your front door. A century earlier, that would have never been possible. How much worse is it going to be a century later?

It's pessimistic, but I believe that the futures in the movies where people are constantly interacting with each other will never be a reality. I wish it were though.
Fury
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The future is not what it used to be. It's 2010. Where is my hovercar? Very Happy We do have other cool toys, and I expect to see more in the future (I voted for Back to the Future II).

For past views of what the future could have been like, see the Paleo-Future Blog.
amerigoV
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The world ends 12/21/2012. That about sums it up.
Lord Inar
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One word... Bladerunner!
Best Internet page ever
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amerigoV wrote:
The world ends 12/21/2012. That about sums it up.

So, what does it look like in 2310?

After all, it's only the world that ends, right? SO, what does the rest of the universe look like?
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paranoia, ...without the humor.
I'm afraid that the way we're throwing away our freedoms, we soon won't be able to go out and talk or look at someone without being arrested for stalking. Every book has something in it that someone else will find obscene or they don't like, and the internet will track everywhere you've gone.

Other than that, it's just peachy! Very Happy

Have a nice day....!This is not a request!

SteveN
newForumNewName
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snate56 wrote:
Paranoia, ...without the humor.
I'm afraid that the way we're throwing away our freedoms, we soon won't be able to go out and talk or look at someone without being arrested for stalking. Every book has something in it that someone else will find obscene or they don't like, and the internet will track everywhere you've gone.

Other than that, it's just peachy! Very Happy

Have a nice day....!This is not a request!

SteveN

Move to Sweden. They have a lower crime-rate, friendlier people, and REALLY HOT BLONDE WOMEN! They also have beer, vodka, skiing, and heavily Norse influenced Judeo-Christian traditions.

Did I mention the really hot blonde women? Because I think that's a selling point that Sweden under-uses...

"While nFNN could be less of a jerk about how he says what he says, what he says is essentially correct." -- ValhallaGH
steamdriven
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its all going to end up like the road....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cryonic
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newForumNewName wrote:

Move to Sweden. They have a lower crime-rate, friendlier people, and REALLY HOT BLOND WOMEN! They also have beer, vodka, skiing, and heavily Norse influenced Judeo-Christian traditions.

Did I mention the really hot blond women? Because I think that's a selling point that Sweden under-uses...

And an atrociously high income tax rate.
steamdriven
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"And an atrociously high income tax rate."

you have a point,

but,

REALLY HOT BLOND WOMEN!

REALLY HOT BLOND WOMEN!

REALLY HOT BLOND WOMEN!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
steamdriven
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and some norse things as well Smile
Rachan
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more into brunettes …
newForumNewName
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cryonic wrote:
And an atrociously high income tax rate.

That's only a problem if you mind quality government services and almost no government debt.

Lord Lance
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very pessimist. I think that we can give a terrific peek to the future of our planet reading the setting of the GREAT RpG "Eclipse Phase". That is the greatest "Sci-Fi" around these days... I think I'll play it Savaged.

PS: You can download it freely, 'cause they released the main book as Creative Common. #1eek1 Impressive art & layout too.

Proud creator of the SAVAGE FREE BESTIARY
OSIAdept
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are my flying cars and jetpacks dam it.

Seriously i think the future will be like what we got now just better tech.

And the 2012 thing overrated, only thing i am worred about is the reported solar storm comming and the potential for mass roiting

My online art portfolio
http://paintedsamurai.deviantart.com/

Black Stag Publishing
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Black-Stag-Publishing/223736847644167?sk=wall
Poor Wandering One
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we may be seeing the beginning of a long dark night.
Climate change, peak oil, peak water, unrestricted population growth.

I am listening to an interview with the leader of the Maldives talking about his country dissappearing under the waves before the end of the century.

To quote a well known Nerf-herder: "I've got a bad feeling about this..."

Last edited by Poor Wandering One on Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
razorwise
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be more cow bell. That is all.

Regards,

Sean
The Blur is Now on G+
TTM
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread seems to be veering dangerously close to political discussion.. >_<

but I wanna know, where's my Soylent Green??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> The Break Room All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: