Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slipstream-Appropriate Minis from Reaper
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nbattler
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thread title.

Surprised I figured with all the non reaper minis being shown it was open for any input. Wink
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't suppose we'll turn it away, but that answers your question. Laughing

SteveN
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know of a good figure for Babelonians?
I'm currently thinking of Rodians from the Star Wars line.

SteveN
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snate56 wrote:
Anybody know of a good figure for Babelonians?
I'm currently thinking of Rodians from the Star Wars line.

SteveN

Are you gonna run the encounter in the Babelonian Comic Book Store

Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaper #50150: Betty, Space Heroine

It pales in comparison to the paint sample on ReaperMini.com, but I painted up Reaper #50150, "Betty, Space Heroine," and her sidekick, "Critter."  Betty is on a 25mm sci-fi resin base from War Cast Studios (http://www.warcaststudios.com).

When I saw this miniature on the Reaper site, I thought that the alien critter was fused to the leg, but it turns out that it's actually a separate piece that can be put onto the base for additional decoration. (There are a few Chronoscope minis that follow this model of having a female figure with some sort of "pet" that can be put on the base, such as "Krisi the Modern Witch," or "Alice & White Rabbit." I prefer to put the critter on its own base, which lends a little more flexibility for RPG purposes.)

"Critter" is posed on a half-melted resin casting of a Hirst Arts Castlemolds sci-fi crate (http://www.hirstarts.com) -- Chris Stadler (my frequent co-conspirator in game-scenery projects) was going to toss it out as a reject, but gave it to me to salvage. I used some Apoxie Sculpt to make some "ooze" melting at the edges (as if this is a container amid a hazardous-materials breach, and something's eating away at the sides, while Critter gleefully uses what's left of it for a shooting perch).

In the background is some of my old Star Wars RPG terrain -- basically a few "bike park" bases that interlock together, decorated with some cut-up Micro Machines play sets that I'd gotten (in pieces, mostly) from thrift stores, and utilized for "tech junk" to decorate the tiles.

Reaper #50227 - Dee Dee, Astro Girl

This is modified with a couple of Hirst Arts Castlemolds resin castings (the "crystal" and "rock" pieces), and by bending the left leg a bit to suggest she's flying.  

The rocket blast effect (translucent orange plastic) is from a HorrorClix "Fire Eater" figure, pinned to the rocket pack on "Dee Dee's" back.

The helmet is a piece of clear blister plastic, curled and glued along a seam in the back, with a bit of bronze-painted putty on the top.  

Lacking a proper backdrop, I took a picture in front of one of my dice bags. I tried photographing against light backgrounds or just white paper, but for some reason it kept coming out with the figure looking like a silhouette, and if I tried to adjust the brightness, I'd just get a bunch of compression noise. In real life, the crystal segments have a gradient going from pink to red to purple, but for some reason any time I tried taking pictures, the crystal ends up looking terribly washed-out (unless I try taking a picture against a white background, in which case the figure ends up looking too dark to pick out).  I'm still trying to get the hang of how to take "macro focus" pictures with my camera (Finepix S2950).
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50068 - John Bishop, Space Marshal

I've painted this one up in a color scheme inspired by a cheesy old cartoon, "Bravestarr." This must be him in his later years, as he's upgraded to power armor and has a handlebar mustache.

Alas, it doesn't really show up, but that's a little red emblem of Texas on the belt buckle (perfect for "New Texas"), and hidden behind the right arm is a silver star badge on the chest piece.

Making a 30-30 to go along with him will require a bit of kit-bashing, I'm afraid. The base is a resin-casting from a Hirst Arts Castlemolds "cavern floor" mold, and the cactus is made of a couple of pieces of Apoxie Sculpt putty.

I intend to use this figure for a pre-generated character in a Slipstream scenario, but I could also see using him for "Deadlands: Hell on Earth" as a Law Dog or post-apocalyptic Texas Ranger.
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaper Chronoscope #50061 Professor L.T. Froschmeister

This is a very special miniature in my mind, because this miniature's name came about as a sort of tribute to "Froggy the Great," a regular on the Reaper forums, master kit-basher, and co-writer of Wonderland No More. (End shameless plug.)

More immediately, I got this to serve as a miniature for a pre-generated hero for a Slipstream one-shot -- but I can see this working nicely for Deadlands as well. This is shown painted without any conversion, but re-based upon a resin 25mm decorative "sci-fi" base from War Cast Studios. The background consists of some of my cobbled-together modular sci-fi terrain made from assorted busted Star Wars toys (mostly Micro Machines) broken down for parts and glued down to link-together plastic tiles.

Reaper Chronoscope #50101 - Duke Jones, Astronaut:

This astronaut apparently comes from some alternate Earth where it's perfectly all right to light up a stogie while you're in your space suit, and space suits just button up in front. Anyway, I figured he'd be perfect as the token "Earth astronaut" who gets sucked through a vortex into the Slipstream pocket-universe. (As for how I'm going to explain a Space Marshal in there as well ... well, I'm still working on that detail. I'll just get the minis painted up first, and THEN I'll worry about their write-ups.)
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't all come from the same era. Duke from the 1980's or 90's, Bravestarr from 2350 or something.

I hadda go look up Bravestarr on youtube, ended up watching different intros for an hour! Great stuff. I'd like to see some of these 'toons redone in a modern style without the firearms and explosions only "bonking" the characters.
I liked Silverhawks, too. Wonder if I can find figs for those.

SteveN

Last edited by Snate56 on Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snate56 wrote:
They don't all come from the same era. Duke from the 1980's or 90's, Bravetarr from 2350 or something.

We did have astronauts and test pilots in suits with bubble helmets earlier than the 1980s, and it was certainly IMAGINED even earlier than that. While I've taken some painting cues from pictures of astronaut suits, the design of the suit isn't authentic for any particular period; he's got a button-up fly, for instance.

Slipstream is all about "the future as envisioned by an earlier era," so I'm perfectly fine with giving an "Earthling" an outfit that is higher-tech than would be around in, oh, the 1930s or whatever. In any case, he could just as well claim to be from the 24th-and-a-half century for all the difference it makes once he reaches the Slipstream.

The last few Slipstream games I ran, I had Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, Captain Video, Space Cadet Tom Corbett, Maria (the Maschinenmensch from Metropolis), and Commando Cody (as seen on MST3K) as pre-generated heroes, and we still had a blast. Wherever the heroes come from, all that really matters is that in the Slipstream, it's all rocketships-and-rayguns, and more retro pulp than anything resembling serious science fiction.

Now, stick him in a power suit with big shoulder-pads with a bolter gun with a chain-bayonet, however, and there's probably an alien-bug-hunt waiting for him in some OTHER, grimmer-darker vision of the future. Got to cut things off somewhere. (Hence why I'm not listing the IMEF troopers, awesome as they are, in my recommendations for Slipstream.)
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaper #02785 - Sabertooth Tiger Man + gizmo from #59026 Deadlands Weapons & Accessories

I wanted a "lion man" analogue for my pre-gen PC selections, but the Reaper "lion man" just struck me as a little too "naturalistic" with the feathers and such for what I had in mind. So, instead I went with this "sabertooth" character.

His right hand was out in a fist, but made for a pretty easy conversion to give him a ray gun, by using a hand pinning drill to run a hole through the fist, then attaching the Mad Scientist gizmo from the Deadlands Weapons & Accessories pack; I shaved off the hand gripping the gizmo, so that the remainder could just be painted in as "techno-junk" as part of the ray-gun body. While the Futuristic Weapons pack (#50025) has a lot more to offer in the way of ray-guns and such, but I picked up this pack in order to convert some minis for Deadlands ... and I think I've got enough mad scientists that I could get away with turning this gizmo into a space-gun instead.

The original figure comes on an integrated base, so some extensive lead-cutting is necessary if you want to remove the figure and re-base it.
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the last two miniatures I'm painting up for pre-generated PCs for Saturday's Slipstream game. (I've got 9 different character sheets to choose from, now.)

Reaper Chronoscope #50138: "ALF-24, Robot Assistant"

This guy looks like he might belong better in the Star Wars universe than in something vaguely Flash-Gordon/Buck-Rogers-inspired, but I still really like the design of the miniature. I painted him up with a few odd panel colors, as I wanted to give the impression that he's been around long enough to have scavenged replacement parts along the way, but hasn't prioritized getting a new paint job to make sure it all matches. I regret to say that it took me an inordinate amount of time to paint the little "24" numerals on each shoulder-pad, and yet they look pretty blurry in the picture.

Reaper Chronoscope #50095: "Kyoko Silvers, Cat Girl" (converted)

For comparison to what I had to start with, here's the unpainted mini picture from the Reaper site:

This miniature is "classic Tim Prow," very evocative of the stuff he used to put out for Heartbreaker Hobbies back in the days of Chronopia and Warzone 1st Edition. Unfortunately, putting Tim Prow females next to Werner Klocke and Van Horne and Bobby Jackson minis makes them look rather chunky by comparison. I got this miniature primarily because it was so silly-looking, but I figured I'd need to do some work on it to make it a viable player-character.

First, the "big stick" had to go. I started by cutting off the stick and attached mismatched hands (one was about a finger's width wider than the other) with a dull hobby knife. I then used a combination of scraping with the hobby knife and grinding with a Dremel tool to bring down the bust size (it was just a bit too big and pointy for the rest of the model, in my opinion), narrow the waist a bit, and also reduce the "bulby" look of the muzzle.

I used two gizmo items from #59026 "Deadlands Weapons & Accessories" to give the cat girl one newer, smaller hand holding a gun-thing ... and one ridiculously LARGER hand (but it's okay because it's a POWER GAUNTLET Wink ). I found a cylindrical "bitz" piece that I put on her back for the cables to run to, to serve as a sort of "power pack" for the gizmos.

The legs on the original miniature were spaced too far apart for my liking, so I cut them both apart, re-pinned them ... and then stuck them back on, too close together. Oops. It wasn't really evident until I had everything assembled, and at that point I wasn't sure I could really improve on things without tearing everything up further.

Both miniatures are based on War Cast Studios resin bases (Industrial Round 25mm Bases). The original Reaper minis came with the wider 30mm bases, but I've been putting my figures intended for Slipstream on the 25mm bases because: a) They look cool; b) 25mm bases work much better with tabletop terrain, especially Hirst Arts terrain that lends itself well to a 1" grid.
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaper Chronoscope 50063 - Jeeves, Robot Butler

I decided to go ahead and paint up "Jeeves," since I figured he'd make a more genre-appropriate robot type -- but I wrote up the character a bit differently than ALF-24, since I figured I might as well expand the character options. (I ended up treating the cutting blade and claw as equipment, and then was inspired to give Jeeves several other items of equipment with the idea that he could have optional plug-in hands/tools to detach and reattach, to swap out for the situation.)

Reaper 14076 - Devourer, Darkspawn Monster

This doesn't represent anything particular to Slipstream, but I thought it would make for a great unique alien horror for a scenario.
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaper Chronoscope #50107 - "Afterburn"

As with most of the others, I re-based this on a War Cast Studios resin 25mm "industrial" round base (link) instead of the 30mm round plastic base most Chronoscope minis come with.  The figure originally had a little "rocket blast" effect coming right out of the soles of the feet, but I thought that was just a little too high-tech (where do you fit the rockets?!) for Slipstream, so I added a rocket pack on the back.  The flame effect is another HorrorClix Freakshow #022 "Firebreather" plume -- a piece of translucent orange plastic trimmed off of the figure. (In retrospect, I suppose I could just assume the guy is a Robot Man, so rockets straight out of the hands or feet are just fine, but having an external rocket pack just "looked right" to me.)

I considered replacing the hands with a conversion so the guy would be holding a ray gun, but I didn't have any ray-gun-with-two-hands-holding-it piece conveniently available, and I'm sort of holding out for the possibility I could find some translucent plastic piece in the future that would be perfect for a "blast-wave effect" to affix to those two cupped hands for extra coolness (even if it doesn't look very Buck-Rogers-ish).
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Peacock wrote:
This doesn't represent anything particular to Slipstream, but I thought it would make for a great unique alien horror for a scenario.

Or perhaps yer "buddy" set you up with a blind date....

... and you've got to be kind because she's got the codes for the security system of the building you've got to break into.

SteveN
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snate56 wrote:
Or perhaps yer "buddy" set you up with a blind date....

Har! Just last night, we were watching Star Trek: The Next Generation on Netflix (not my idea), and we caught the episode with ... ah ... just a moment. Hello, Google and Wikipedia! Aha. Episode #116, "The Outcast," with yet another awkward Commander Riker love jaunt. We got to joking about how it would be funny to have a Captain Kirk / Commander Riker type end up with some "exotic alien queen" trying to hit on him who really, REALLY does NOT conveniently fall into conventional human ideals of beauty or "close enough to pass if you ignore the prosthetic forehead."

Your suggestion seems to fall all too perfectly in line with that. Very Happy

Meanwhile, in the "aliens easily represented with some low-budget make-up effects and prosthetics" category:

Reaper Chronoscope #50131 - Andromedan Vizier:

I got two of these as part of a grab bag deal, and decided to paint one up in a fairly straightforward manner, since I thought he'd work well as a typical "near-human" alien type, with a scholarly role implied (perhaps even psionics or Danger Sense or something useful like that). As per usual, he's based on a War Cast Studios "industrial" base, and if he seems to be hovering just a little, I'm fine with that (although it's actually just because he's standing on a short dais).

I was thinking of perhaps modifying the other one to look like a Babelonian, or else doing a complete head-swap. It's kind of nice how there are several "Andromedans" in the Chronoscope line; I could see them fairly easily fitting into Slipstream either as a new race, or as an aesthetic swap for one of the existing ones. Lanse Tryon has done some wonderful (and for me, inspiring) work kitbashing the Andromedans for his Andromedan Project, using them for "Cythereans" in a Victorian-sci-fi game.
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaper Chronoscope #50202 (Agent Jones), #50206 (Professor Kraken), and #50203 (Agent Smith)

All right, so the Men in Black really don't belong in the Slipstream universe, and I have no intention of introducing them in any of my Slipstream scenarios.  However, Professor Kraken (middle) would fit in the Slipstream universe just perfectly, and it might be a fun to run a "Men in Black" inspired one-shot sometime with some of these goofy aliens.

I made a slight modification to "Agent Jones" (left) because the original miniature HAD NO CHIN, and it looked as unlike Tommy Lee Jones as could be.  I used a crumb of Apoxie Sculpt (two-part putty) to give him a chin, and he still doesn't look like Tommy Lee Jones, but at least he doesn't look quite as goofy as he did.  (I suppose you'll just have to take my word on that.)

Professor Kraken, as per usual, is re-based on a War Cast Studios "industrial" 25mm round resin base.  The two MiB are re-based on standard plastic round bases, but with a layer of Apoxie Sculpt on top and a texture imprint to make the "tile" pattern.

The sci-fi backdrop is made from assorted pieces of broken Star Wars Micro Machines toys scavenged from thrift stores over the years, put back together into a set of "generic sci-fi terrain tiles" I use on occasion with miniatures for RPGs.
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaper Bones 80001: Ape-X

"Ape-X" makes a great supervillain, weird-science experiment, or perhaps just yet another space-ape alien race (as there seem to be plenty of those in the Slipstream setting).
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien Stone, Space Cowgirl -- Reaper Bones #80003

Okay, so this one isn't really on my list. It's a bit of a gag. See, the "Ellen Stone, Cowgirl" mini from the Bones Kickstarter was widely reported to be missing a nose. Upon examination of the unpainted figure I had, I thought this was the case as well ... but I painted it up anyway, going with blue skin to fit the "Andromedans" I'd painted up. Upon actually painting it, it was evident that there WAS a little nose bump there -- an "anime-style nose," perhaps -- but it's easy to miss. If I got another Kickstarter Ellen Stone to paint up (the Bones figure hasn't gone into full distribution owing to this problem), I might try painting it up as a "regular" Ellen Stone for Deadlands.

In the meantime, this one works reasonably well for Slipstream, as a sort of counterpart to John Bishop, Space Marshal. (Perhaps either an ally or adversary, or love-interest/rival/whatever, depending upon just how pulpy we want our storylines.)

Just to make doubly sure that this was a SPACE cowgirl to fit in with Slipstream, I used some putty to transform the revolver into a zap-gun, and made a little rocket-pack on back. Apparently that space-duster is sufficient to divert rocket blasts and protect one's backside. (Very handy!) I also replaced the original incorporated wooden-plank base with a resin "industrial" (diamond-plate) 25mm round base from War Cast Studios, for more of a clunky sci-fi look.
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaper Bones #80008: Rosie, Chronotechnician

She might be just as easily at home in a cyberpunk/sci-fi setting such as Interface Zero 2.0, but "Rosie" works nicely as some sort of sci-fi mechanic/technician type. The pewter version comes with choice of clunky rifle or over-sized wrench, but the Bones version unfortunately comes with the choice of "rifle" already made, and held upraised like it weighed no more than a pistol.

To try to make this character look more like a technician type, I cut off the bulk of the "rifle" to leave something that might pass for a "plasma welder" or "nail gun" or other such device that might bear some passing resemblance to a gun, but could conceivably be a non-combat tool. To further emphasize that, I ran a wire from the "clip" of the device to one of the packs on the utility belt (as if it were some sort of "power pack" unit).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: